News on the old Alpha BAC TSR2 and Others - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: News on the old Alpha BAC TSR2 and Others

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by fallenphoenix1986 View Post
    Whats your favourite beer? Theres a case on the way lol

The first two times I ever saw a fighter it was a Jag. First time I was in my uncles car and we overtook one that had been loaded on to the back of a truck. The second time it was a pair in formation screaming through a glen in the West of Scotland below the point at which I was standing, have had a bit of a soft spot for them ever since.

Noisiest beasts when one is under one in the low level flying area in Wales, surprises people as well as cattle etc! Wonder what TSR2 sounded like, never heard her although I worked on her for 3 years in the Weybridge D.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev One View Post
    Noisiest beasts when one is under one in the low level flying area in Wales, surprises people as well as cattle etc! Wonder what TSR2 sounded like, never heard her although I worked on her for 3 years in the Weybridge D.O.
    They used two Rolls-Royce Olympus engines. Same as was used in the Avro Vulcan V bomber and the Concorde (renamed the Rolls-Royce/Snecma Olympus 593). So half of whatever those sounded like?

If it were possible to gauge the level of enthusiasm for the TSR2, I could be persuaded to continue with one I started a while back for FSX and be P3D compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by centuryseries View Post
    If it were possible to gauge the level of enthusiasm for the TSR2, I could be persuaded to continue with one I started a while back for FSX and be P3D compatible.
    We've got a good 'un on the roll here - we thought we'd be updating an old FS9 model, but the TSR 2 we've been offered to complete is pretty much payware quality, far more advanced than I'd thought it would be!! Keep watching this space as I'm sure Mitch and others will be updating soon with more news
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    They used two Rolls-Royce Olympus engines. Same as was used in the Avro Vulcan V bomber and the Concorde (renamed the Rolls-Royce/Snecma Olympus 593). So half of whatever those sounded like?
    Exactly like a British Phantom, then.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dhazelgrove View Post
    Exactly like a British Phantom, then.

Dave
    Those were Speys on Phantom (fitted enough of them), Olympus is much, much louder.

Ttfn

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    Those were Speys on Phantom (fitted enough of them), Olympus is much, much louder.

Ttfn

Pete
    Of course. I was trying not to say "Vulcan".

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    We've got a good 'un on the roll here - we thought we'd be updating an old FS9 model, but the TSR 2 we've been offered to complete is pretty much payware quality, far more advanced than I'd thought it would be!! Keep watching this space as I'm sure Mitch and others will be updating soon with more news
    Sounds good, the TSR2 is lacking in FSX and a good one would be very welcome.

would love to see one made for FSX / PR4 please , my all time fav aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by centuryseries View Post
    Well, about 16 participants here if that's any gauge.
    Certainly not enough to make a marketability decision on.
    Maybe enough for a decision to go ahead with a free update into FSX?

Yes please

I saw one during testing. Impressive aircraft blind politicians.

Looking forward to it.

John

No worries. We are moving ahead with the TSR2 update.

Just gonna leave these here, now that the project is officially underway with model-creator Dave Hanvey's encouragement and support...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TSR2 P3Db.jpg   TSR2 P3D.jpg   TSR2 P3Dc.jpg  
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

That looks amazing! This is going to be another great release.

Put me down for one!

fantastic , I can't wait
    well done thank you for your work

She looks superb in her white livery, one of my all time favs, Alpha TSR2. I've had the FS9 model active since I bought it way back. I'll be following this one for sure.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Thanks for letting us know Rob, looks like we should forge ahead and see what we can do with the TSR 2! For those worried about FSX / P3D compatibility, I'll be able to ensure the model works in both. Did it for the Reporter / P-61C and I don't think there were any issues. Fingers crossed, I can bring in Ambient Occlusion and PBR for the P3D version but still learning those techniques at the moment.
    Dean, what is PBR? Every time I see it I think "Pabst Blue Ribbon" and although drinking a few may improve the looks of a dodgey sim your flying skills would degrade accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Patterson View Post
    Dean, what is PBR? Every time I see it I think "Pabst Blue Ribbon" and although drinking a few may improve the looks of a dodgey sim your flying skills would degrade accordingly.
    LOL! Indeed. PBR stands for Physically Based Rendering, which is just the way in which materials reflect light more realistically in P3D v4. I haven't had the chance to play with it yet, so when the TSR2 is ready for its final compile I will take a look and see if I can't include it in the release. Don't worry though, if I can't the model will still have fully functional bumps, specular maps and all the usual goodies

LOL! Indeed. PBR stands for Physically Based Rendering, which is just the way in which materials reflect light more realistically in P3D v4. I haven't had the chance to play with it yet, so when the TSR2 is ready for its final compile I will take a look and see if I can't include it in the release. Don't worry though, if I can't the model will still have fully functional bumps, specular maps and all the usual goodies
    Thanks for the wee lesson Dean. I am now that much closer to scratching the surface of the stuff I don't know! Maybe one day I'll at least be hopefully successful with my George Laven F-100 paint for the Milviz bird!(Come on, just get one. It's gotta get easier from there, right!?) As it sits the TSR2 in the screenies above work just fine as is for Mr. Patterson! Anything better is just icing on the cake!!

I remember'd these from way back, if its for the same bird, these are some great what-if paints to play with. Andy was a regular some years back and then fell of the Radar, but i think Matt is painting real airplane's now

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...int-Pack-1-zip

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...int-Pack-2-zip

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...int-Pack-3-zip

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...int-Pack-4-zip

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...int-Pack-5-zip

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    I remember'd these from way back, if its for the same bird, these are some great what-if paints to play with. Andy was a regular some years back and then fell of the Radar, but i think Matt is painting real airplane's now

Wow, what a find Ian! Fingers crossed these work with the new version, it will save a huge amount of time! Do you have any contact details for Andy to see if he will let us include them in the package?

SOH-CM-2023
    I hope you can modify the cockpit interior colour, it is much too blue. The parts that are blue in some interior photos are I think roundel blue which is the standard colour for experimental parts/units/structure. Flight test equipment & cables were orange. This is so they can be easily identified if/when the aircraft is returned to 'normal'use. If I remember correctly the interior was 'light battleship grey' can't remember the BS number - it is almost 60 years since I was in the Weybridge D.O!
    Keith

Andy was a SOH member, so a PM maybe,he still might be lurking out there. Matt was good friend with Nigel Richards, so he may know

Keith, the cockpit interior still has a temporary development (wireframe) texture, painting it is on my to do list.

Henk.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev One View Post
    I hope you can modify the cockpit interior colour, it is much too blue. The parts that are blue in some interior photos are I think roundel blue which is the standard colour for experimental parts/units/structure. Flight test equipment & cables were orange. This is so they can be easily identified if/when the aircraft is returned to 'normal'use. If I remember correctly the interior was 'light battleship grey' can't remember the BS number - it is almost 60 years since I was in the Weybridge D.O!
    Keith

Members who have read this thread: 3