News on the old Alpha BAC TSR2 and Others - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: News on the old Alpha BAC TSR2 and Others

There were also all of the repaints by Pierre Lheureux.

We have several photos that chronicle the interior so matching paint shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Regarding additional skins, back in the day, there were 3 packs of add-on skins released by Pierre Lheureux available at AVSIM. I believe they will work in FSX. I have pack 1 installed and they all show up without issue. There were also some paints done by Jens-Ole Kjølberg, so they'll be lots of skins to chose from.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	68288

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-3-30_15-59-43-623.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	68289

Yep, Jens-Ole Kjølberg did a couple nice repaints of it back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    Wow, what a find Ian! Fingers crossed these work with the new version, it will save a huge amount of time! Do you have any contact details for Andy to see if he will let us include them in the package?
    They will work. As long as there is no need to change the texture mapping there is no reason for them not to work.

That said, please do not bundle any textures that are readily available elsewhere. It just unnecessarily increases the size of the package.
    Mitch can certainly add mention of the textures sets already out there in the readme file along with tested links. Just my 2-cents.

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    They will work. As long as there is no need to change the texture mapping there is no reason for them not to work.

That said, please do not bundle any textures that are readily available elsewhere. It just unnecessarily increases the size of the package.
    Mitch can certainly add mention of the textures sets already out there in the readme file along with tested links. Just my 2-cents.
    Yeah, you're right. I was thinking that last night, there's so many of them about which I had no clue that it would create an unnecessarily large package. I'll make sure that we put something in the manual that lets users know there are a ton of textures out there for it.

Regarding the comments on the cockpit area, I'm working on the VC at the moment, and all colours and details are coming from images of the real airplane. Dave's VC for this FSX version, by the way, is fully functional with barely a switch or button not modelled
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

SOH-CM-2023
    Looking at the cockpit photo in #52, that looks very much like the mockup cockpit - the junction at the cill & windscreen arch is the give away, no shoot bolt locking receptacle or the quadrant infill & pressure seal/ rain ingress gutter, but the colour looks good.
    Keith

While we're on the subject of cockpit and panel, if anyone out there has more detailed photos of the cockpit interior (other than the ones that are readily available on the internet) please let us know. We already have the manuals that show us the instruments, what they are and where they are located, but good large color photos are hard to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    i think Matt is painting real airplane's now
    real... and virtual, currently working for SimWorks Studios as External Texture Artist (Not done any real jets since the Tonka last year)

Boing boing boing... It's a testimony to the existing FDE that this airplane is tricky to land even when using the officially printed figures. One of the real life test pilots almost stacked the prototype during flight testing, so if they found it tough, what chance us mere mortals?

Reading the manual and following procedure is going to be essential with this one...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bounce.jpg  
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Fast, Fast, Fast!!! She comes in HOT, DC. At least the FS9 model did. It took me numerous flights to learn how to stick the landing without bouncing all the way down the runway.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    Fast, Fast, Fast!!! She comes in HOT, DC. At least the FS9 model did. It took me numerous flights to learn how to stick the landing without bouncing all the way down the runway.

BB686
    This was stage 3 flap, 78% power with 12 degree pitch AOA and max elevator up-trim. Touch down was on the numbers at 150 knots indicated but I was just a little light on the flare so off she went boinging along. Touch of power and off we went again for a go-around. It's great fun, especially in VR

It isn't much, but here are a few shots of the interior. Pretty much all grey and white but the seats were a light brown/tan.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6062/6...0321dae4b0.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6188/6...cf2600a0_b.jpg

Hope this helps.

BB686

This was stage 3 flap, 78% power with 12 degree pitch AOA and max elevator up-trim. Touch down was on the numbers at 150 knots indicated but I was just a little light on the flare so off she went boinging along. Touch of power and off we went again for a go-around. It's great fun, especially in VR
    How much fuel were you carrying?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    It isn't much, but here are a few shots of the interior. Pretty much all grey and white but the seats were a light brown/tan.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6062/6...0321dae4b0.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6188/6...cf2600a0_b.jpg

Hope this helps.

BB686
    That's brilliant, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    How much fuel were you carrying?
    35%, and the airplane was below max landing weight. Good call though It's just a very heavy airplane and the pilot needs to be right on the numbers to get it down just right, which is great to see in a sim as it demands much more than just "light the fires" and go.

Remember, I am in the process of reworking the FDE. It will be flyable and landable. Flight dynamics will be based on original test pilot reports, recollections by Bee Beamont and Jimmy Dell. Both flew the original test flights of the TSR2.
    Last edited by mal998; April 8th, 2019 at 07:37.

Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post
    Remember, I am in the process of reworking the FDE. It will be flyable and landable.
    I think that the landing characteristics are actually spot on already. Rudder authority is fine, but both elevator and aileron authority is way too low - roll rate should be higher on an airplane with such a high wing loading and narrow span, while pitch, while it would be weaker, should be better than it currently is. I haven't had much time to test really though as I'm mostly working on the VC.

I did a re-vamp of the FDE for the FS9 TSR2. I wanted to give the model a bit more power without affecting roll rate and landing characteristics. The Pegasus engines used were quite powerful, and based on what little research I could find because of the limited resources available... the end result wasn't much different than the original FDE. The British Aerospace Corporation website had some technical data on the TSR2 that I used for the changes to the FDE.

I also did a visual re-vamp of the afterburner effect for the TSR2 in FS9. It may work in FSX but I never tested it. It came out quite nice. If anyone is interested I would be more than happy to share it.

BB686

As I said, FDE will be based on test pilot recollections. From there if people want to modify what's been done, be my guest.

I love discussions like this

A good source of what if colour schemes (and their backstory) is "TSR2 Lost Tomorrows of an Eagle" by Paul Lucas 2009. Also detail on potential weapon loads and future developments.

Not sure how easy it is to find now ....

Quote Originally Posted by NOSNILMOT View Post
    A good source of what if colour schemes (and their backstory) is "TSR2 Lost Tomorrows of an Eagle" by Paul Lucas 2009. Also detail on potential weapon loads and future developments.

Not sure how easy it is to find now ....
    Available here: https://www.amazon.com/BAC-TSR-2-Tom.../dp/B01MS1BR9L

BB686

Boing boing boing... It's a testimony to the existing FDE that this airplane is tricky to land even when using the officially printed figures. One of the real life test pilots almost stacked the prototype during flight testing, so if they found it tough, what chance us mere mortals?

Reading the manual and following procedure is going to be essential with this one...

There is an interesting video on YouTube with a camera in the well pointed at the gear during touchdown. Initially the TSR landed with the gear orientated as in the screen shots here. The rear main tyre (It IS a British jet now after all!) would touch down first and twist the entire strut towing out the front wheel so that when it touched down it was at a severe angle to the direction of travel and would twist the strut even further which would then spring back sending vibrations through the ship. The solution presented itself in a malfunctioning gear cycle on flight 7 where the leading tyre touched down first as the bogie was in the "wrong" position. The same thing would happen, but this time the twisting strut skewed the trailing wheel inward so when it touched down it kind of brought everything back in line and the vibrations were reduced. This is how the TSR2 landed from that point on. In any case, the amount of rubbery wigglies the gear exhibited in the slow motion footage is hilarious! Can't wait to see If I can get this in and out of Oshkosh!! This is a lovely shot BTW!

Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post
    While we're on the subject of cockpit and panel, if anyone out there has more detailed photos of the cockpit interior (other than the ones that are readily available on the internet) please let us know. We already have the manuals that show us the instruments, what they are and where they are located, but good large color photos are hard to come by.
    Try TSR2 Britain's Lost Bomber by Damien Burke. Quite a few color shots in there (and it's a really nice read). My favorite is the seat! Natural metal frame, black cushions and PURPLE seat belts!! Clearly they were building this plane for Prince!

SOH-CM-2023
    Post #64 seat colour - I think you will find that the seat back & squab cushions were black, the orange/brown effect is reflection from the yellow possibly sodium lighting. Those pictures were obviously of XR219 as there are various panels painted experimental blue.

Members who have read this thread: 3