Grey Eagle's Dambusters Challenge

Thread: Grey Eagle's Dambusters Challenge

Grey Eagle's Dambusters Challenge

A while back Grey Eagle issued a challenge for me to make a video of the Dambusters in the style of my Spitfire and Hurricane videos.

Here it is at last:

Hope you enjoy!
    The Sky is the Limit
    The ground is just an unfortunate inconvenience!

Nice Job there! Wasn't expecting that so soon. I like the opening scene with the Lanc's takeoff.
    Now, I will have to research that mission a little further.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Nice Job there! Wasn't expecting that so soon. I like the opening scene with the Lanc's takeoff.
    Now, I will have to research that mission a little further.
    Thanks Grey Eagle - I hope it meets with your full approval!

Have fun reading the histories - it is a complex and occasionally controversial topic. I have tried to run a middle line through the history to avoid the discussions which are beyond the scope of this thread or my little video.

I have tried to focus on the difficulties and challenges faced by the crews and the bravery they clearly showed in their efforts regardless of all the other reasons or influences invloved. Not an easy path to walk so I hope I have not offended anyone with this portrayal.
    The Sky is the Limit
    The ground is just an unfortunate inconvenience!

Very interesting rework of those flights Bruce. For anybody really wants to have a crack at these flights Ross McClennan has worked them all up into various packages for FSX/2004 based on the Plane Design Lancaster. Includes the aerodromes, scenery at the dams and full notes. Ross also produced the bombsight used which actually works. And to top it off for dedication visited the dams in Europe. Researched in detail and fully supported by maps, documents etc plus missions including AI.

This was amazing flying in its own right. More amazing is the pulled 617 Squadron together very quickly and the crews selected basically had 6 weeks to train and do the job, yep 6 weeks. Ross has even included the scenery for the UK Dams that they practiced on plus all the flight plans and routes for the lot. He even went on to cover the Tirpitz raids as well (plus dropable object),

The significant challenge was to get used to flying the Lancaster at 225 knots at 65 ft agl they spent weeks day in day out practicising, they started doing it over the North Sea and then moved inland then onto to the valley runs for the dams. What can you say but remarkable flying by fearless fliers at night, still by any stretch an extraordinary achievement.

Gibson and his crew, this colour photograph was taken either just after (a day or two) of the mission. The reason the visit of the King George VI to pay his respects and congratulate the crews,

And here is the King inspecting the flight line. A bit depleted but still stoic.

I also noted the weather, fair amount of buildups about and quite stormy actually.

Footnote it was for this reason I was a bit disappointed in AH's decision not to redo the Special when they did the Lanc recently, they had it in 2004 with a port over so even though I have it the Plane Design Lanc is still tops.
    Last edited by BendyFlyer; March 23rd, 2019 at 14:27. Reason: Add information.

Members who have read this thread: 0