Lost 10 Years Of Work Thanks To MS - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lost 10 Years Of Work Thanks To MS

I'd totally contribute to work to attempt to recover data. I can't imagine how upset you must be.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    That's odd, as MAX files are basically self-contained archives with a lot of additional metadata. Unless you mean the old 3DS format.

Are all the vertices and triangles bof the meshes in place?
    I have/had 3DS Max and 3DS old format files in the archives. So far, I have retrieved about 3,500 Max and 150 3DS old format. I've sampled a handful and had zero success with the Max files. They show a preview, but when I attempt to open, merge or import into max I get a corrupted file message.

To be honest, I have only run a scan of about four hours and netted 359,175 files. I'll need to do a full scan...about 11 hours, recover that comprehensive data and see if the Max files still throw the message. I'll see if Autodesk has any suggestions.

The major problem is even if I recover a specific Max file i.e. B-26K, that file should have embedded memory of the textures associated to it that I can query using the eyedropper tool. The recovery yielded 3,476 Photoshop files that do have intact layers in them. The total number of bitmap files is 62,736. The files, unfortunately have no names, only sequential numbers. I would need to sift through every Photoshop/bitmap file, identify it, re-name it and save it back out to a coherent file structure.

The same applies to cross referencing 359,175 files to re-composite any semblance of the original file structure.

The same applies to re-downloading every aircraft, scenery or utility add-on I have purchased in ten years from every vendor, along with retrieving receipts and licenses.
    Those number in the hundreds.

BTW, I've been researching the little bug that took a left turn into my databank. It happens all the time, there are class action lawsuits galore against MS for people who have had entire archives, systems and servers terminated by MS updates.

You can see where I'm going with this.

I just want ten minutes in a locked cage with somebody...anybody.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    I have/had 3DS Max and 3DS old format files in the archives. So far, I have retrieved about 3,500 Max and 150 3DS old format. I've sampled a handful and had zero success with the Max files. They show a preview, but when I attempt to open, merge or import into max I get a corrupted file message.

To be honest, I have only run a scan of about four hours and netted 359,175 files. I'll need to do a full scan...about 11 hours, recover that comprehensive data and see if the Max files still throw the message. I'll see if Autodesk has any suggestions.
    Googling doesn't yield much.
    Do the entire scan. May you'll get a lucky break.

The major problem is even if I recover a specific Max file i.e. B-26K, that file should have embedded memory of the textures associated to it that I can query using the eyedropper tool.
    It's been a while, but I faintly remember that the eyedropper at least recovers basic material info. When working from imported OBJ files, texture names are imported from MTL files.
    3DS files should contain such information as well.

Did you manage to recover a MAX file with an intact hierachy and part separation?

BTW, I've been researching the little bug that took a left turn into my databank. It happens all the time, there are class action lawsuits galore against MS for people who have had entire archives, systems and servers terminated by MS updates.

You can see where I'm going with this.
    Haven't read anything about lawsuits (as if those would work anyway), but the problem itself popped up a few times indeed, always with external HDDs.

Btw: I use RuFus and ISO files to create bootable Windows or Linux medium. It has never failed me so far. https://rufus.ie/

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Gordon, while I feel sorry for your predicament I am amazed that a man with your knowledge and experience with computers would even think to leave an external drive with valuable data on it connected to your computer while reformatting. I usually leave my external drives disconnected unless I need them for pulling data off or running my P3D V.4 or X-Plane.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    Gordon, while I feel sorry for your predicament I am amazed that a man with your knowledge and experience with computers would even think to leave an external drive with valuable data on it connected to your computer while reformatting. I usually leave my external drives disconnected unless I need them for pulling data off or running my P3D V.4 or X-Plane.
    I'm sorry AussieMan, I happen to think that your remark in the given circumstances is wholly inappropriate. Our friend just lost 10 years of work and you see fit to criticize him about that. The fault was not his, he clearly indicated to the media creation tool to use the thumbdrive and the tool didn't do that.

Kicking a man who is down because he just lost 10 years of work through no fault of his own... I hope you feel good about yourself.

You're staff here, so probably I will now be banned.

Priller

Blog Entries
    I'm still trying to understand how 4 experienced training pilots allowed a Boeing 777 to get down to 88 knots over the fence into SFO, but it happened. Even the best of us make an occasional error.

I wasn't re-formating. I was downloading an executable to a thumb drive. If I were going to re-format anything I would unplug every frickin' thing in the box, except the drive I intended to format. I had just assembled the new box, installed drivers, updated everything and loaded Windows. The Windows version was outdated, so I decided to download the current version and re-install. I've downloaded a gozillion executables in the past and never had one detour into the wrong location...then proceed to re-format that location without my directing it to. I have, in fact, been re-downloading every single add-on I ever purchased for the last three days and so far not a one of them has trotted off to blitz any of my four drives.

That said, the world is full of people who have had massive losses because of buggy MS software. That installer was directed towards a thumb drive, instead it took the only other USB in use. Wish I could turn back the clock Pat, but I can't.

That work was not a hobby, it was the final stages of an entire product line intended to provide for my wife and myself in my retirement. The work contained an entirely new autogen technology to replace the antiquated systems in FSX and P3D. There was an entire library of vegetation objects from trees to grasses to brush for every region on the planet. The hand painted art alone represented volumes. The aircraft are another conversation, the accumulated work of one man working relentlessly for a decade

My research, which is what I actually do in the real world spanned four decades. Total loss..and irrecoverable.

This work was my Opus and it's gone. I didn't f up, other than to leave my six open for MS to push a torpedo into.

Thanks mate....
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Everyone, no matter how brilliant and experienced, will occasionally do something less than optimal.

Gordon, when I started work this morning, I went to Save a .max file to my local Dropbox folder, only to discover that the entire folder was missing. Thankfully, Dropbox's Cloud allowed me to recover the folder and contents quickly.

I could also have recovered the same folder/files from my NAS, or any of my company's team members. You cannot have too many copies.

I am so sorry to hear of your disaster, I hope that its recoverable.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

I went through the Win 10 saga today, a new MB forced me to leave Win 7 because USB 3.0 drivers were not available. Intels Z-390 chipset! I have to agree with Priller, say no more.

However I think there are many here will say, there by the grace of god.....; many of us will have done something similar. Normally I leave drives connected, silly yes, lazy yes, maybe I was lucky in past upgrades; today everything was disconnected apart from Drive C, all data backed to another drive.

I sincerely hope that Gordon’s data will be saved; but I dare a person (PC term!) to say he hasn’t benefited from Gordon’s terrible experience: I have!

Best wishes Gordon and I hope your data recovery is on course.

Kind rgds

Eric
    Last edited by joneseric; March 22nd, 2019 at 16:00. Reason: signature

Gordon, I cannot imagine how you must feel, but know you will get through this. Your wonderful work touches everyone here in the sim community. My thoughts are with you.
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Priller
    Why would that happen now?
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Just to add my own condolences on what must be a horrific loss through no fault of yours. Unlike others I've been very lucky with my data, only once coming close to loosing a hard drive many years ago now. But the feeling was sickening so I can't imagine what you and your family are going through right now. I sincerely hope you get thought it OK.

All the very best, friend.

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

I'm sorry AussieMan, I happen to think that your remark in the given circumstances is wholly inappropriate. Our friend just lost 10 years of work and you see fit to criticize him about that. The fault was not his, he clearly indicated to the media creation tool to use the thumbdrive and the tool didn't do that.

Kicking a man who is down because he just lost 10 years of work through no fault of his own... I hope you feel good about yourself.

Priller
    I had a rather unfortunate encounter with AussieMan a couple of years ago (in my Annuschka thread). He later attributed that to humor. Let's hope he does the same here.

The loss is catastrophic, unforeseen and devastating. I will help any way feasible should a path forward resolve. Gordo has done SO MUCH, for SO MANY and I remain obliged.

Best- C

PS- If you go, we go.

Gman.......

. Greetings, I am not a participant in FSX (yet) but have been following your thread and have sent you a PM. Hope it helps.

This is a terrible situation. I hope a reasonable outcome can be attained. Gordon has been a strong contributor to FS and this community for a long time. This is just a disaster given the parameters.
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

I'm still trying to understand how 4 experienced training pilots allowed a Boeing 777 to get down to 88 knots over the fence into SFO, but it happened. Even the best of us make an occasional error.

I wasn't re-formating. I was downloading an executable to a thumb drive. If I were going to re-format anything I would unplug every frickin' thing in the box, except the drive I intended to format. I had just assembled the new box, installed drivers, updated everything and loaded Windows. The Windows version was outdated, so I decided to download the current version and re-install. I've downloaded a gozillion executables in the past and never had one detour into the wrong location...then proceed to re-format that location without my directing it to. I have, in fact, been re-downloading every single add-on I ever purchased for the last three days and so far not a one of them has trotted off to blitz any of my four drives.

That said, the world is full of people who have had massive losses because of buggy MS software. That installer was directed towards a thumb drive, instead it took the only other USB in use. Wish I could turn back the clock Pat, but I can't.

That work was not a hobby, it was the final stages of an entire product line intended to provide for my wife and myself in my retirement. The work contained an entirely new autogen technology to replace the antiquated systems in FSX and P3D. There was an entire library of vegetation objects from trees to grasses to brush for every region on the planet. The hand painted art alone represented volumes. The aircraft are another conversation, the accumulated work of one man working relentlessly for a decade

My research, which is what I actually do in the real world spanned four decades. Total loss..and irrecoverable.

This work was my Opus and it's gone. I didn't f up, other than to leave my six open for MS to push a torpedo into.

Thanks mate....
    Gordon, my apologies if I have stepped over the line. I may have misread your OP and for that I am sorry. You contribute so much to the flight sim community both with freeware and payware that it horrifies me that you have virtually lost a lifetime of work. Hopefully all or most of it can be retrieved.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Blog Entries
    Gordon, my apologies if I have stepped over the line. I may have misread your OP and for that I am sorry. You contribute so much to the flight sim community both with freeware and payware that it horrifies me that you have virtually lost a lifetime of work. Hopefully all or most of it can be retrieved.
    Spoken like a true gentleman Pat. I am sure you meant no malice.

Apology accepted sir.
    Thomas Jefferson

... probably I will now be banned...
    Again..?

Ok, we've all made mistakes. Just like in aviation, accidents are never caused by one thing. They are caused by a "chain of events". Break one link in the chain, and the "event" does not happen. Having a backup not connected to the computer being formatted is just one. We can all learn from this thread!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Blog Entries
    So that everyone can learn from this.

Be advised...I was not formatting a drive. I was working on a brand new, fully installed system with five formatted drives, an operating OS updated and with all of my software installed. It was a fully functioning system. The outdated OS was throwing hardware codes that I could not correct with updates. I decided to re-install Windows using the current version.

I went to the MS website to download the Media Creation Tool. I had purchased a clean Kingston thumb drive for the download. The procedure should have been a routine download of an executable to a specific device. I had no reason to anticipate any sort of problem or to disable my internal and external drives. We don't do it for aircraft or scenery...right? It's an executable. Watch any tech video on the procedure. You don't see the tech gutting their machine to download the Media Creation Tool. They tell it to go to the thumb drive. I selected the Kinsgston thumb drive, I know that because it said 'Kingston Thumb Drive".

The intended procedure, assuming that I would have had a bootable thumb drive. This is where it is important to disconnect peripherals.

1. Power down, unplug and disable EVERYTHING, removing power and data cables except for the intended installation drive, in this case the onboard Samsung M.2 SSD.
    2. Boot in via the BIOS and direct the boot priority to the thumb drive.
    3. Allow the machine to boot and follow the Windows installer procedure. In this case it would also be necessary to delete the partitions from the previous install.
    4. Complete the install on the blank partition, in this case partition 0.
    5. Disable all of the bits you don't want Windows to "help" you with, name the computer, password...yada yada yada...DISABLE CORTANA!!!!!!
    6. Complete the install.
    7.Re-boot and install all of your drivers then update the drivers if you have a LAN connection. Once all of the drivers are current, update Windows. This can take three or four updates until all hardware is recognized and current. Now shut down.
    8. Plug in all additional drives including SATA and USB, then power back up.
    9. Go to the Drive Manger and check all of your drives. I my case they should pop up as they were originally tasked in the previous install. My peripheral drives are already formatted so everything would pop up in the Disk Manager ready to go to work.

THE ONLY FORMATTING WOULD HAVE BEEN ON THE SAMSUNG SSD I INSTALLED THE OS TO DURING THE INSTALLATION BOOT.

I don't want to harp on this, but it is imperative to me that the details are clearly understood so that others can use the information to avoid potential data loss.
    Thomas Jefferson

​Thanks Gordon. That clears up any misunderstandings I originally had.

Cheers
    Pat

Blog Entries
    ​Thanks Gordon. That clears up any misunderstandings I originally had.
    No worries Pat, I figure if I document the process from here forward we all end up smarter.
    Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries
    Here's the most current status.

Right now I'm running a full scan with the recovery software, about a ten hour process for my rig. Once the scan is done, the software will save out a macro file of everything it has retrieved from the unallocated space that the Windows Media Creation Tool placed on the 5TB external.

The data will be organized into macro folders containing every file type searched by the recovery software. It's a comprehensive software, so all of the important file types will be recognized. The important bits are Photoshop, 3D Studio Max, 3D Studio, BMP, JPEG, Targa, TIIFF, Zip and a few more. Once I have the full scan and recovery I can determine if I have recoverable data, most importantly my 3D Studio and Photoshop files. If the recovery software does not produce usable files I'll need to look into the option of a forensic specialist. I've been researching a few, and I've had input from members here and friends. If a specialist can guarantee full recovery of the data I will look at the cost/benefit of the procedure.

I really appreciate everyone's support and offers to help. I'm working the problem using a pragmatic, systematic method. I'll know more today and post up for those interested.
    Thomas Jefferson

I’ve been following this thread with much interest. I’ve suffered a few data loss incidents myself, both on my sim rig and at work, but nothing of this magnitude. My paranoia now forces me to keep multiple backups of everything!
    Gordon, I sincerely hope you get this sorted and retrieve what was lost. Best of luck and thanks for all of your contributions to the flight sim community.

Cheers, Bernard
    I7-6700K @ 4.3, ASUS Z170-P, 32GB DDR4 2133, RTX 2070 8GB, Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv5.3 HF2

Gordon-

You've been on my mind, and I'm hoping that you will have some good news to share soon. Please know we are with you, and grateful for all you do/have done for us.

Do drop us a line when time permits.

Best- C

So that everyone can learn from this.

I don't want to harp on this, but it is imperative to me that the details are clearly understood so that others can use the information to avoid potential data loss.
    It's a tragedy, definitely but YOU need to learn from this.

Never, ever, ever, leave backup drives (or any drives not necessary to the task in hand - whether OS House-keeping or deep simming or whatever) - connected, when working "under the hood" with Windows - It WILL find a way of ruining your day - or in your case your decade.

I learned that the hard way about twenty-five years ago when I lost pretty much everything from over five years of graphic design in Windows '95. I have never trusted MS since. And I haven't suffered the catastrophic loss you have as a result.

You have made many posts about hardware/ software, etc - It's a bummer but, quite honestly, you should have known about this.

Luckily, these days - data is retrievable to a much greater extent than it was when I lost my data so it's a pretty straightforward process.
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

Jeeze Ganter, kick him when he's down, why don't you. Gordon knows he made a mistake.

Members who have read this thread: 0