Question About 1951 Crash of a C-124 in Ohio

Thread: Question About 1951 Crash of a C-124 in Ohio

Question About 1951 Crash of a C-124 in Ohio

I'm hoping someone here knows something about this accident or has access to further information. Not that I'm looking for a conspiracy theory, but I notice the crew aboard this "experimental flight" included five civilians: two "engineers," two "sound technicians," and...a DOD physicist. Any idea what they were working on?

https://www.baaa-acro.com/crash/crash-douglas-c-124a-globemaster-ii-new-lisbon-7-killed

http://www.koreanwar-educator.org/to...le_indiana.htm
    America never stopped being great.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Never heard of this one, but the presence of sound technicians and "engineers" (what kind of engineers? Aviation structural? Audio Engineers?) suggests something, maybe, about the air frame and vibration or harmonics studies. An "unexpected emergency?" Is there such a thing as an "expected emergency?" That is, were they looking for a condition of some kind they were expecting to occur? Is there anyone who knows or remembers anything about problems with the -124's construction? It had the nick-name "Old Shaky." Maybe this had something to do with those vibrations.

Maybe testing / recording various MAP/RPM settings to investigate harmonics/vibration, eventually hit the bad spot they were looking for - but with ugly results.

It was a test flight -WP AFB did a lot of this, as well as at Edwards.

Quote Originally Posted by SSI01 View Post
    ...Audio Engineers?) suggests something, maybe, about the air frame and vibration or harmonics studies...Is there anyone who knows or remembers anything about problems with the -124's construction? It had the nick-name "Old Shaky." Maybe this had something to do with those vibrations.
    That was one of my thoughts. The C-124 was in Air Force service for only about a year when this accident occurred. Maybe there was something being investigated that came up during initial operations. Didn't the F-106 have structural problems associated with its rather obnoxious power plant?

And, I don't know, I've been in airplanes that I totally expected an emergency of some sort at any time!

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Never heard anything about the -106's power plant. Only thing I know is the one on display at NMUSAF is the same one some pilot bailed out of once because it got away from him - whereupon the aircraft settled down nicely behaviorally and wound up on its belly in some farmer's field, engine idling. It was returned to service with very little repair needed and today occupies a place of honor in the museum.

Talk about not tolerating certain kinds of handling . . . .

Wow! I knew the story of the pilotless 106, but didn't know that's the airframe in Dayton. I'll have to check that out next time I'm there.

Reminds me of the A-6 that had difficulty during launch, but flew out of it once the crew ejected (that's a few hundred pounds of pilots and seats that left in a hurry). Granted the airplane pitched up, stalled, and went into the drink, but...oh well!

Reminds me of a Soviet (or perhaps East-German?) MiG-23 whose pilot ejected but which kept flying straight ahead, crossing one or two borders, and finally crashed out of fuel into a West-German house, killing one civilian person.

Or that time a US Navy E-2 Hawkeye kept on flying after the crew bailed out. This one had to be shot down by an F/A-18...

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...ne-on-purpose/
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Members who have read this thread: 0