Changing VC cockpits

Thread: Changing VC cockpits

Changing VC cockpits

I see that there a tools out there for editing/creating new cockpits. If there was a plane out there, and I wanted to change its VC, could I do so with the existing .mdl file? Or would I need the original scasm file?

VC cockpits are a big deal for me. I might prefer a less detailed exterior model for a plane with a more usable/attractive VC cockpit. During a fight, I'm never seeing the plane's exterior, only the VC. For that reason a good VC means a lot. I just wonder if I could change the VC in an otherwise excellent aircraft.

Possible?

Being that the VC info is located in the Panel Config File,
    You should be able to use Config Edit to make any corrections ??

This file contains all of the programs you will ever need to create
    modify or adjust your panels, follow each read me for installation
    CFGedit, gaubmp2, mkpink, scalemaker all in one bundle
    Click image to download****

http://thefreeflightsite.com/Design.htm
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

In general you can’t change the virtual cockpit without the modelling source file (G-max or FSDS2 for example), because the VC is built into the model. You can rework the instruments because this information is in the Panel .cfg file (located into the Panel Folder)
    I for myself know that the making of the Virtual Cockpit (VC) consumes more time than the whole exterior model, and it feels it’s a never ending work.
    Wolfi

One sees well only with the heart. The essential is invisible to the eyes (Antoine de Saint Exupéry)

Hmm... That's not looking good, then. There are instances where I want to alter the 3D structure. In the default P-39D for instance, it's not their best work (F4U and F6F are gorgeous). I was hoping to open up the .mdl file and edit it.

So if the plane was originally made with Gmax, you would then need Gmax to edit? There's no alternative?

I'm not concerned over 3D editing. I've got Blender and a couple other free ones. I see a free program at the FreeFlight site. Seems FSDS is still available for $20? I could deal with that.

...no! You need the source file, that means the original G-max or FSDS (or whatever) building file. There you have the outer visible aircraft, the Virtual Cockpit and the LOD models.
    Wolfi

One sees well only with the heart. The essential is invisible to the eyes (Antoine de Saint Exupéry)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi View Post
    ...no! You need the source file, that means the original G-max or FSDS (or whatever) building file. There you have the outer visible aircraft, the Virtual Cockpit and the LOD models.
    Wolfi
    Hmm. So I guess that's non-starter then. So be it.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi View Post
    Wolfi
    Well, you don't NEED the source file. You can create a separate model and set it up as the interior model. You can use ModelConverterX to get the model, of course then there are copyright issues.... And, once you do, you have to basically recreate everything since it doesn't do well with animations and stuff.

Yeah, it's a lot of stuff to learn. I've been working 6 months and have only just barely scratched the surface of what I need to know. And typically, manuals and tutorials are only helpful if you already know what you're doing. There aren't many tutorials out there that cater to people who know nothing and will take you through, step by step, the creation of a plane from scratch with everything you need to know. And it's really hard to find a tutorial on exactly what you need at any moment.

Yes thats right, I think Scasm can do it also, but the best solution is the source file!

Wolfi

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    Well, you don't NEED the source file. You can create a separate model and set it up as the interior model. You can use ModelConverterX to get the model, of course then there are copyright issues.... And, once you do, you have to basically recreate everything since it doesn't do well with animations and stuff.

Yeah, it's a lot of stuff to learn. I've been working 6 months and have only just barely scratched the surface of what I need to know. And typically, manuals and tutorials are only helpful if you already know what you're doing. There aren't many tutorials out there that cater to people who know nothing and will take you through, step by step, the creation of a plane from scratch with everything you need to know. And it's really hard to find a tutorial on exactly what you need at any moment.

Cool Mdlc

Yes ....Wolfi it has been done numerous times.... with the help from scasm.

Cheers mav

Members who have read this thread: 0