Heatblur F-14 Tomcat Released!!!

Thread: Heatblur F-14 Tomcat Released!!!

Hybrid View

Heatblur F-14 Tomcat Released!!!

***F-14B RELEASED***

Patrick

Bought it a little while ago and took her for my first spin. Made it off the ground and back on again without any mishaps all thanks to my hands on experience years ago with another great ground breaking F-14 model and it's very similar high attention to detail on the flight dynamics. I figured if this virtual jet was going to bite me in the backside, it would be when pushing it real hard in a flight demonstration sequence type of flight of rolls, high-g turns, high AoA, steep vertical climbs in burner and then coasting back down while being careful on the stick to not mishandle her during slow speeds and high AoA. The buffeting is your WARNING to back off and when you have the wings full swept back and you push it too hard in a pull, you WILL be sorry! I made two practice approaches with touch and goes then a full stop. I found it to be quite stable in tracking the runway centerline and I did left and right drift deviations to simulate following the moving carrier deck. So long as you don't do a lot of ham-handing on the stick to swing the wings back and forth, your approach and landings/traps should easily be stable. VERY light stick inputs are all that's needed to make corrections during your approach!

I am very impressed! Best $80 I have spent on anything in some time. I'd easily say this model is a great learning experience for those of us who always dreamed of and wondered what it was like to fly a real Tomcat. A while back I said I wouldn't buy it for a bit because I was and still am learning to complexities of the Hornet but I am glad I made the jump. She's a challenge and now, I have a LOT more to learn but it's all good!

Bravo!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hey Storm! Very Happy She's meeting your expectations,I feel very Similar.

I'm just starting out with the "Instant Action" mission Takeoff at Nellis,On my first "Touch-n-Go Landing" Jester told me my landing brought "A tear to his eye" LOL......Not sure if he was being Sarcastic or not!

She's just incredible in VR......Cockpit is best since Mig-21 IMHO.
    Very Well behaved at slow speeds......She has tons of lift under those massive wings.
    I am finding her a bit hard to keep trimmed,Very hard to keep perfectly level...Should make A/A Refueling a Real Challenge.
    Was cool that all my Axis controls were already set to go for my TM Warthog....they say they'll add more Hotas's /Sticks later.

OK......Back to more Take-Off /Touch down practice at Nellis......I need to get a good feel for her before I dare enter The Marshall Stack of CVN 74

Patrick

Don't know about the rest of you but with this latest update & F14, DCS takes super long to load, I'm talking 15 to 20 min to load before getting to the F14, and when it finally does the hard drive is constantly going, and I get a notification Jester's sound file not found, DCS was butter smooth and quick to load before this update and Tomcat, maybe an update will fix ?.

I have had DCS installed for years, but have not used it. The controller configuration is much more involved than P3D, FSX, etc.... I am confused by it all. Late last night I tried as best I could to set my controllers up for a test spin in the Tomcat. But as soon as the Training flight for takeoff started, I realized there were a lot more assignments to make, and I couldn't even taxi out of the flight line..... NC

Icon2

Are repaints possible for this aircraft? If so, how? NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I have had DCS installed for years, but have not used it. The controller configuration is much more involved than P3D, FSX, etc.... I am confused by it all. Late last night I tried as best I could to set my controllers up for a test spin in the Tomcat. But as soon as the Training flight for takeoff started, I realized there were a lot more assignments to make, and I couldn't even taxi out of the flight line..... NC
    Pretty much my exact experience with DCS. Honestly I dont have the time I used to for super in depth study level aircraft any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Yep, once mine finally loads, exact same result.

Members who have read this thread: 0