Question about updating files I've uploaded

Thread: Question about updating files I've uploaded

Question Question about updating files I've uploaded

As always, a work is never complete. Every time I upload a file, I end up finding some little niggling issue, or realize I missed a little detail, or find a way to fix something I couldn't figure out before.

I love the fact that SOH gives us the ability to update our submissions, but, maybe I should just leave well enough alone(?).

So, here's my question... If I've got an update I've made to a file I've released for download; for instance, I didn't realize mip maps was on by default in DXTBmp, so a several of my releases had mip maps on , or maybe, I found hinge that's in the wrong color... Should I update the existing file, or should I release a new version and ask the old one be deleted? Or should I even bother updating them at all?

What's the general etiquette on this?

Thanks,

Tom

I see you are a detail person, Tom ; " hinges in the wrong colour..." tsc,tsc...Thats bad....

If I may say something, since you asked, here it goes;
    as with so many things in life, we, as human beings ( some of us at least, that is...) strive for the best.
    improvement is what defines us from other species.

it is also this quality that helps us moving on and upwards in our short stay in this hearth.

In your case ( and mine) this need for improving things comes from a state of continuing insatisfaction.

And also it means we are good observers. We look for details. We keep finding them too!
    ( just found out the other day that a well known and beloved payware Fs brand has released a white set of textures for a model with a couple of mistakes and my repaints now show those same mistakes! They never checked it. And even if they did, they never bothered to correct it either....)

the thing here is, and this is what I mean to say, in the end you are putting your best in what you do, in this case freeware, I assume, and you are sharing it with others.
    In the end we seek for aproval for our "work".
    Thats what helps us moving on too.

if you are ok with just sharing it go ahead. A few among us, the detail freaks, we will notice it and appreciate it.
    I have dozens of repaints of my own here in my external hard drives,some on payware aircraft, others on freeware aircraft that I have never shared before. All the politics that have gotten into this "hobby" just made it easier for me to decide this.
    After all, and to start with, Im doing these for my own pleasure, and interest.
    its my "thing" in the end.
    If the odd model comes around ( Miltons Superb Mallard, to give you an example!) then its great, I mean, if I tell you how many layers I have for that cabin interior set of textures, how many hours It took me to try and achieve a decent look, you would be calling me crazy...or maybe not...because you see, Im also that " hinges are in the wrong colour" type of person myself )
    and good quality models are very hard to find these days, specially in the freeware realm.

Now and then comes the odd person that will recognize your " work", or should I say contribution and will even take the time to pm you saying something positive about it.
    this is the nicest part ot it all.

Most will probably just download it, use it, keep it or throw it away, without ever noticing those hinges were in the wrong colour, in the first place. And without even saying something about it. This is the world we live in these days.

do what your heart tells you to.

Is it worth it? Well, we will hever know I guess....but again, if among those "gimme, gimme,gimme" type of people outhere theres one, just one, that appreciates your efforts and shares your love for the corrected hinges colour, then you know you have contributed to a better place.

In the end, its your decision.

good luck with it.
    sincerely,
    rc

Ps...Im old and grumpy. And I should be sleeping instead of being here writing all this but thats part of the process of getting older, you get to sleep less hours. And thats what turns you grumpy I supose, Be happy and while at it, do share your positive bits with us others. This world needs good people, better people, be it at a desk, a Hospital, or even in the Flight simulation community.

Members who have read this thread: 0