dds with DXTBmp and 4096 textures

Thread: dds with DXTBmp and 4096 textures

dds with DXTBmp and 4096 textures

Has anyone successfully made a 4096 dds texture; DXT3 or otherwise from a 4096 bmp? If so, how?

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

I use DXTBMP by Martin Wright to do it. I usually right click the bmp/ Open With DXT1 Bitmap Manipulator/ Save As dds/ Select the appropriate type. Seems to work very well. My old version of Photoshop won't open files that large.
    62stratfan

That's the tool I'm using but it seems to automatically change my 4096 bmp to 2048!

Quote Originally Posted by 62stratfan View Post
    I use DXTBMP by Martin Wright to do it. I usually right click the bmp/ Open With DXT1 Bitmap Manipulator/ Save As dds/ Select the appropriate type. Seems to work very well. My old version of Photoshop won't open files that large.
    62stratfan
    Ha! like me. I use an old version of Photoshop 7.0. its antique but I know exactly how to do a lot of stuff with it. It can get cranky on a 64 bit system, but still works great especially with the Nvidia DDS plugin. I have thought of upgrading to a current version but it would be so totally different, I wouldnt know how to use it.

I even have an old 1 TB drive specifically to save PSD files to because this old version wont recognize a drive larger than 1TB. I have yet to see a reason for a texture thats 4096x4096. I have a high end PC and video card and it makes little difference to me.

I have all those issues with my ver 7.1. But as long as it works, I'll keep it. Always a problem with larger than 1TB drives. I can't imagine why DXTbmp would resize a file. I have yet to experience anything like that. I don't see that you can even deliberately select a size, though I may have just missed it. I'm not a fan of these super-large textures, either. To me, they're just harder to manipulate in PSD or DXTbmp. Gimp will handle them, if you have that app.

Best,
    62stratfan

I think my problem was that I had version 4.00.96 i/o 4.00.97. The latter seems to work!

EDIT: BUT an interesting factor is that if I got to the bmp and go open with DXTBmp, it still converts to 2048. If I go to the DXTBmp program and open the bmp from there, it does as a 4096!

That's what I have. Seems to work great.

Best,
    62stratfan

Members who have read this thread: 0