New P3D'er

Thread: New P3D'er

New P3D'er

So I bought a new Flight Sim computer. It's more powerful than my erstwhile FS box (still listed in my 'sig'), but not by a huge margin. I was "prepared" to re-install FSX and all the add-ons on this new rig, and was pondering moving to P3D instead. THIS very interesting thread in the FSX forum convinced me to swerve to P3D for my new system. I'm very impressed so far. Out of the box, it's a much better sim than FSX. No jitters. I installed FSX on this machine just to compare. OMG. Night and day.

I installed FS Global's newest terrain mesh. Now looking for a world-wide texture upgrade. Any recommendations? I had FTX Global on my FSX installation, which was a massive improvement.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Paul-

I am a HUGE fan of Orbx. Browse a few of my posts and you will quickly see why. Pilots Ultimate Mesh is a GREAT choice, FTX would be my second addition. Then add as you want/can. If you like heavies Fly Tampa, FlightBeam, FSDT, ImagineSim, UK2000 and others will set you up nicely. If you like low and slow- YOU CAN'T BEAT ORBX. If you like both, hang on to your wallet- BUT- first double check because MANY scenery developers offer multiple platforms with each airport.

Welcome to the madness, it never stops

C

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    So I bought a new Flight Sim computer. It's more powerful than my erstwhile FS box (still listed in my 'sig'), but not by a huge margin. I was "prepared" to re-install FSX and all the add-ons on this new rig, and was pondering moving to P3D instead. THIS very interesting thread in the FSX forum convinced me to swerve to P3D for my new system. I'm very impressed so far. Out of the box, it's a much better sim than FSX. No jitters. I installed FSX on this machine just to compare. OMG. Night and day.

I installed FS Global's newest terrain mesh. Now looking for a world-wide texture upgrade. Any recommendations? I had FTX Global on my FSX installation, which was a massive improvement.
    You should be able to install your FTX Global into P3D, just use FTX Central and direct it to P3D. I still have FSXA and FSX SE installed on my rig, but mostly use P3D now.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Welcome to the P3D world
    As mentioned above, just reinstall FTX Central v3 and enter your credentials. It should allow you to install your FTX Global over your P3Dv4 exactly like you did in FSX on your previous computer.

Take your time to set up your P3D graphic options properly though. Some of these options are FPS killers without much benefit on the graphics side. Some other options bring drastic graphical improvements with almost no FPS hit at all. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Pay special attention to the luminosity, saturation and bloom settings in the HDR section, as they are the most critical settings for the overall rendering quality. Be careful with the "cast" and "receive" shadow options too. I recommend you to keep the "cast" option disabled for the vegetation, but keep the "receive" one activated, so that the trees on the dark side of a mountain are not illuminated by the sun

Also, take your time to check which of your FSX addons can be installed on your P3D. A lot of them will work perfectly, some will not. Forget about anything that came from FS9 (port-overs), they won't display.

Thanks all. Great advice. I will install my FTX global. And start going through the graphics settings...
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Members who have read this thread: 0