Scenery CTD & Coastline Mismatch

Thread: Scenery CTD & Coastline Mismatch

Scenery CTD & Coastline Mismatch

I tried installing CFS2 Coastal Pacific masks but no matter where I put it in the layers I got a CTD. Additionally, even default aircraft got errors that weapons were missing (impossible!). I removed the CP masks altogether and no more crashes or missing weapons. What's up with that?

I found another install "PTO_flattens" which offered to do the same job and flatten rivers and lakes. It works for me, but Rami's Malayan Campaign calls for CFS2 Coastal Pacific. Will this be okay in your expert judgements?

Also, I'm finding coastal mismatches in some places. See pic below. Is there anything I can do about that?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mismatches.jpg  

Library Staff
    Hi Eric,

Looking at your picture, you appear to have both the stock coast and Rhumba's water masks active. You should only have one or the other active. Try deactivating the water masks and see how it looks and behaves.

As you say, PTO flattens by Ettico do the same job as Rhumba's version. I haven't tried those ones. I've had no trouble with Rhumba's flattens.

Rami's Malayan as well as Skylane's and Devildog's missions in the same part of the world call for the Rhumba version. In theory it shouldn't make any difference which set you use, but then again, we are dealing with CFS2.

Over which airfield is your screenshot taken?

Kevin

Kevin is right. You have the wrong watermask active for that particular scenery package.

The "unable to find..." stock weapon messages often come up when you make lots of changes in the Sim, & go fly rightaway. I see it all the time when I'm working on aircraft dp files, payloads, exhaust effect positions etc.

It's as though the sim hasn't been able to assimilate all the changes you've made & throws out random "can't find" messages as a result. Probably something to do with rebuilding the many filelist .dat files, & the programme (remember it's really old = slow) just needs time to absorb all the "new" additions.

Easy solution:

Go slow - change a couple of things. Exit the sim, reload & go fly. Rinse & repeat until you are where you need to be with additions.

You'll get there.

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    Rinse & repeat until you are where you need to be with additions.
    When rinsing include doing regular searches/deletions of all index files and filelist.dat files.

MR
    Last edited by MaskRider; March 6th, 2019 at 10:25.
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by kdriver View Post
    Over which airfield is your screenshot taken?

Kevin
    Hiya Kevin (sorry to horn-in, Eric!) its Finschhafen from the mr_papua_new_guinea_080512.zip (one of my favorites! ).

The scenery pack was built to fit stock mesh and masks.

With Rhumbas mesh and masks loaded, here are a couple of shots of what it should look like.

Notice that the shorelines don't line up at the north and south (left and right) ends of the field.

Using stock mesh and masks, the MR scenery coastlines (mask edges) and the stock coast lines (mask edges) line-up perfectly.

In many locations in this scenery pack (and other MR scenery packs built to fit stock mesh and masks), with Rhumbas mesh and masks loaded, the mismatch between the Rhumba mask edges and the MR scenery mask edges is much greater.

Here at Finschhaffen it happens to be a slightly better fit.

MR

Last edited by MaskRider; March 6th, 2019 at 11:20.
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Hee heh! Sorry I just can't help it. Here are a few more screenies:

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Thanks for getting back guys, and MR, horn in anytime you like. I can confirm that the default coasts match perfectly with MR's scenery. Loading up the Philippines soon.

MR: are you using Pactex textures there? That really makes your scenery stand out better.

So it's okay if PNG doesn't work as well in the mesh. It's only there because UncleTgt's New Ireland scenery called for it, and Rhumba's mesh. New Ireland looks fabulous. So no worries, and I'll just load up New Britain on the mesh as well. Always appreciate you guys stepping in to answer.

E.A.: Be advised that the Philippines is not GSL (yet) but I believe it and almosta all of MR's Pacific scenery uses Pactex. I am starting on a revamp of a vast campaign which includes the Gilberts, Marianas, PI, Formosa and Japan. I'm hoping MR will update the Philippines soon.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    E.A.: Be advised that the Philippines is not GSL (yet) but I believe it and almosta all of MR's Pacific scenery uses Pactex. I am starting on a revamp of a vast campaign which includes the Gilberts, Marianas, PI, Formosa and Japan. I'm hoping MR will update the Philippines soon.
    Copy that, Wolf. I'll install it for now just for kicks. I do plan on installing all of his scenery just because I like it so much.

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by e.a.wicklund View Post
    MR: are you using Pactex textures there? That really makes your scenery stand out better.
    Yes, indeed. I am a dyed-in-the-wool Pactex fan!

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Hi MR
    Nice screenshots.

How good is that scenery!!!!
    Cheers
    Stuart

Library Staff
    Hi Chris & Eric,

Thanks Chris - I thought it might have been Finschafen which is one my favourites. I use the same textures as you on mainland New Guinea. Lovely screenshots of the RAAF Beaufighter.

Eric, activating and deactivating layers is a bit of a nuisance in the PTO but you get used to it.

Perhaps we need to put a list together of which scenery layers to activate for each part of the PTO.

Kevin

Very nice shots of the base MR!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Members who have read this thread: 0