DIRECT X 9c

Thread: DIRECT X 9c

DIRECT X 9c

Hi guys,

I recently installed an original disc of CFS 2. I could not get CFS2 to work on my system, but that is not the prob I want your advice on.

Following my attempt to run CFS2 I un-installed it and found that on opening FS2004 my fps had gone from 90+ to around 3 fps.

I ran the NVIDIA graphics demo and that showed that the graphics card and driver were AOK. I suspect that the CFS2 installation disc either removed or replaced the Direct X 9c graphics that FS2004 requires to run?

I have a copy of Direct X 9c and could re-install but:

Where to?

and is the version I have ie 9c, the last rendition of this programme or was there a later one?

Grateful for any advice on this.

Mal

IIRC you just run the installer, and it does the rest, you don't get presented with a choice of install folders as it is a core Windows application.

If you have Win10, then its Dx11, which includes all earlier versions with it.

Ttfn

Pete

Cool

DirectX11 is NOT backward compatiable... for old games it is recommended you install DirectX9 as well.... ask google.

Cheers
    Mav

V do as Mav says, solid advice.

Pete is also correct but CFS2 needs to see 9.0c as a complete install, it is a 2000 vintage game after all!!

Cheers

Shessi

DIRECTX 9C and future moves

Thanks for all of the good advice guys. The slow frame rate disappeared of its own volition, so I have ceased worrying about re-installing DirectX 9c. It is obviously in there somewhere and still working. So - 'If it a'int broke, don't fix it'.

Looking at the near future: I really have to make a jump up to a simulator that is more in line with current tech capabilities. Together with a new set of hardware to fly it on.

I tried DCS for a while but could never really get my controller programmed correctly and it lacked the immediacy of FS2004's 'Kick the tyres and light the fires' approach. Visually the DCS P-51D is, for me, not so good as the examples I fly in FS2004. The huge number of great add-ons and the ease with which I can adjust flt models and skins etc have been the strongest ties to this venerable sim.

X-Plane I have seen at flt sim demos. It is remarkable for its realistic flight modelling but scenery is still lacking for me.

P3D looks like the way for the future, but being conservative and prone to only small steps of advancement, FSX would appear to be more in my comfort zone, if it was in a 64 bit version.

Any views on current flt sims welcome.

Thanks again
    Mal

Members who have read this thread: 0