Lost sound to one install of FSX

Thread: Lost sound to one install of FSX

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries

Lost sound to one install of FSX

This morning I started up one install of my FSX to check on an aircraft installation (new A-26). After selecting the aircraft and finding it on the ramp engines running as usual, I had no sound, internal or external. The other installs of FSX are running properly. I compared the "modules" folder in the affected install with the same folder in one operating normally; both "GaugeSound.dll" files are the same. I tried aliasing the sound for the A-26 to another sound file I have for twin R-2800s, but this does not play, either. All sounds are inoperative on the one install. It looks like this is pointing toward a setting in either the "sound" folder for the sim, or in the sim's config file. Where should I be looking?

Make sure you get the updated aircraft.cfg file and replace.
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...craft-File-zip
    The misnumbering of the sim#s may have played havoc.
    There shouldn't be any problem as the the sound folder is "non-specific" and is called as such.
    You aren't in slew or pause mode by chance?

Roman
    Roman

If you have more than one install of FSX on a single computer you may have one of them 'owning' the OS sound device driver and silencing anything else attempting to generate/play sound/s.
    I'd be checking Task Manager for unwanted instances or processes running...

If you’ve had a Windows update in the last couple of days, just check what sound device is selected. My upgrades sometimes change my sound device to my monitor (which isn’t connected for sound). I just re-select speakers, and all is well.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spokes2112 View Post
    Make sure you get the updated aircraft.cfg file and replace.
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...craft-File-zip
    The misnumbering of the sim#s may have played havoc.
    There shouldn't be any problem as the the sound folder is "non-specific" and is called as such.
    You aren't in slew or pause mode by chance?

Roman
    I've downloaded and replaced the original cfg file with the new one. Only thing I changed were the aircraft entries themselves, but not the data below that section. Still no sound.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    If you have more than one install of FSX on a single computer you may have one of them 'owning' the OS sound device driver and silencing anything else attempting to generate/play sound/s.
    I'd be checking Task Manager for unwanted instances or processes running...
    Called up Task Manager, only the affected FSX installation was running. I did have DXT-Bmp and Irfanview running in the background as I was modifying other textures to fit into the new packages - all run fine in the other two installs they've gone into so far (1940s-1950s). There weren't any other FSX-affiliated programs going I could see.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, Portia - I've got my settings set up to save but not open Windows changes, I'm supposed to review them before that happens. Otherwise as you said they've got a way of sneaking in and doing things to FS without telling you and then leaving you with a wonderful puzzle to work out.

Would just moving one of the sound folders from the other FSX installations into this one solve the problem, or complicate things? When I opened the sim very early this morning, a number of things presented themselves for consideration in windows below and to one side of the main sim window. It was the same thing you see when you install a new aircraft or other add-on - "do you want to install/trust this file?" The new A-26 has been the only thing I've installed in this version. Don't know if any of those little notices had anything to do with this new issue.

EDIT: I checked the 1960s .CFG file against that of the 1950s - here is a difference I noted right away:

1950s:
    [SOUND]
    AmbientUIMusicVolume=-6.000000
    PrimaryDevice={DEF00000-9C6D-47ED-AAF1-4DDA8F2B5C03}
    VoiceDevice={DEF00002-9C6D-47ED-AAF1-4DDA8F2B5C03}
    SOUND=1
    SOUND_QUALITY=2
    SOUND_LOD=0
    UISound=1
    AmbientUI=0
    SOUND_FADER1=0.300000
    SOUND_FADER2=0.500000
    SOUND_FADER3=0.500000
    SOUND_FADER4=0.760000
    AmbientUIMusic=FSX01

1960s:
    [SOUND]
    AmbientUIMusicVolume=-6.000000
    PrimaryDevice={F20DBF36-FEBB-451D-9E6A-86192D6352AE}
    VoiceDevice={F20DBF36-FEBB-451D-9E6A-86192D6352AE}
    SOUND=1
    SOUND_QUALITY=2
    SOUND_LOD=0
    UISound=1
    AmbientUI=0
    SOUND_FADER1=0.430000
    SOUND_FADER2=0.500000
    SOUND_FADER3=0.500000
    SOUND_FADER4=0.500000
    AmbientUIMusic=FSX01

The 1960s installation is the one that is mute. The 1950s works fine.

This may "Sound" dumb, but have you checked to see if you have the sim on mute. (the Q key)

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Since I got my BT earphones I have to fiddle with sound settings on every launch of FSX-SE. I do this by going to Settings/ System/ Sound and seeing where the sound to being directed. Often the system has not recognized the earphones at that point, but it tells me where it is​ being sent. Might this help you? Not sure.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, everyone, for your input and ideas. As you can see I checked into them all; this thing spontaneously corrected itself yesterday and I suspect what contributed to, if not outright caused the problem, was being on the sim at the same time there is a daily scan of the computer by the antivirus plus malware protection software. That's the only thing that was going on that was out of the ordinary for me when on the sim. Everything seems to have set itself right, I have complete sound again on the affected sim and no problems whatsoever re: its operation.

FWIW, if anyone was wondering what kind of protection I'm running that might have contributed to this, it's Avira premium for AV protection, Malwarebytes premium for MW protection.

It's become a matter of baleful interest for me that when problems arise with this sim and this computer they seem to be of the most obscure and difficult-to-replicate manner. Anyway, thanks again and I'm going to add what you've written to my checklists in the event of future occurrences.

Members who have read this thread: 0