Need help installing MAW.

Thread: Need help installing MAW.

Blog Entries

Need help installing MAW.

Hello,

I'm having trouble installing MAW.

Ages ago when XP ruled I got MAW when it was first released and had no problem installing or running the game.

I now run Windows 10 on one computer and Windows 7 on another.

I have about 10 other CFS3 installs working on both computers including BoB, ETO, PTO and DPC Korea so I don't think it's the computers or operating systems.

For the past week I've spent about 7 hours trying to install MAW 1.3 on both computers. I've made about a dozen install attempts including default and modified installs on both computers.

The closest I get to an almost working MAW install pops up a dialog box stating, "An invalid character was found in text content. Error on line 1, position 1 in ""."

Then I get the following screen that locks up the computer and I have to use Control-Alt-Delte to close CFS3.

This happens on both the Windows 10 and Windows 7 computers.

I've read the install instructions repeatedly , every day, but no matter how I interpret them, I get no working MAW.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Any help is appreciated.

TIA,

Geary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cfs3 MAW.jpg  

Hi , Have try to run cfsconfig.exe before ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter View Post
    Hi , Have try to run cfsconfig.exe before ?
    Yes, I have tried running cfsconfig.exe before.

Cfsconfig.exe is supposed to run automatically after installation. It does not.

I tried running it and it says the install is configured but still it doesn't work.

Blog Entries
    Finally got it working.

I had to modify what I think the install instructions say.

Now to attempt PTO Rising Sun.

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Good news ! Hope all goes well with PTO RS. Regards,Scott

Quote Originally Posted by GearyMcS View Post
    Finally got it working.

I had to modify what I think the install instructions say.

Now to attempt PTO Rising Sun.
    Share the solution , please.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter View Post
    Share the solution , please.
    I think this is what I did.

If anyone finds any problems with the written instructions, please post here.

If this works for anyone else, please post here.

FOR MAW INSTALL INTO WINDOWS 10 and Windows 7.

1. You must have CFS3 installed in it's default location at C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 3. Make sure it is updated with the CFS3 Updates v3.1 and v3.1a.

2. Make a copy of the default Combat Flight Simulator 3 folder, name it CFS3 Mediterranean Air War and MOVE it to where you want to install MAW.

3. Install the first part, 'MAWsetup_v1.3.exe' of the MAW installer to it's default location at C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\CFS3 Mediterranean Air War.

4. When part 1 of the installer finishes, MOVE the newly created CFS3 Mediterranean Air War folder from C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\CFS3 Mediterranean Air War to where you put your copy of CFS3 Mediterranean Air War. OVERWRITE when asked.

5. Install part 2 of the Installer, 'dr_cfs3maw_c1_v1.3.exe' to your NEW Mediterranean Air War folder, wherever you put it.

6. When part 2 finishes, it should start the MAW Config utility. Let it complete.

7. If you have the unmentionable CD file, copy it to your NEW MAW folder. Overwrite the old file.

8. Change the compatibility mode of the CFS3.exe, Normal.exe and Campaign.exe files in your new MAW folder as explained in the SoH CFS3 forum thread 'Running CFS3 in Windows 10: solved for now.'

9. You might have to re-adjust compatibility modes for your .exe files to get MAW to work on your computer.

Good luck,

Members who have read this thread: 2