Best Ground/Water Textures?

Thread: Best Ground/Water Textures?

Best Ground/Water Textures?

what do you think are the best soil textures for CFS 2 or the best water textures? I once saw screenshots in a Russian forum 1-2 years ago, where I mean the soil textures of FS X have been adapted for CFS 2, but I no longer know where that was or whether the files were attached there for this

Quote Originally Posted by ElsnerMarkus View Post
    what do you think are the best soil textures for CFS 2 or the best water textures? I once saw screenshots in a Russian forum 1-2 years ago, where I mean the soil textures of FS X have been adapted for CFS 2, but I no longer know where that was or whether the files were attached there for this
    This will depends of the theater, and of your own feeling.

For PTO, I use Pactex2 textures. You can find them at www.flightsim.com. Search file names 'pactex2a.zip', 'pactex2b.zip', 'pactex2c.zip','pactex2d.zip' and 'pactex2e.zip' in the library.

Fot ETO there are many texture sets, just choose the one you like the most:
    - Stiz http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...rid=150&sort=d
    - Simonu http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=28671&sort=d
    - Richard Ludowise (search for 'Richard Ludowise' in Flightsim.com's library)

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the heads up Roxane. Downloaded the PTO files but they were listed as pactex2a through pactex2d. Part d was listed as part 4 of 4. Could not find a pactex2e.zip Am i ok ? Thanks again for the info. Regards,Scott

Like Roxane-21 said, it depends on the theater you are installing.

If you install a European theater using Rami's install guide, you will be using Sander de Cocq's scenery textures.

If you install a Mediterranean theater using Rami's install guide, you will be using Sander de Cocq's scenery textures.

If you install a Spanish Civil War theater, you may want to use my SCW_Spain_Terrain scenery although the European install descrbed above also covers Spain.

The Pacific theater is more wide open. Pactex is good but I personally find the ground texture colors too light for jungle areas. Dvslats' Pacific_Textures parts 1 to part 3 (Aime Leclercq's and FSX's Converted Textures for CFS2 Pacific Only) are quite good for my taste. UncleTgt's Rhumbas CFS2 Tropical FSX texture set UT is also a good choice.

UncleTgt and Shessi created several sets of theater specific water textures that are worth you checking out. Pactex also includes good Pacific water textures.

All of these except PacTex are available here at SOH.

Have fun
    Last edited by Captain Kurt; March 1st, 2019 at 09:28.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Just noticed you asked about pactex2e. That file file contains the sea and coastline textures. If you can't find it, here it is:

Attachment 67755
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

I like Dvslats darker textures. They offer a realistic look I've never found before in CFS2.

Blog Entries
    Thanks fellas. Good info. Cheers,Scott

Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings5859 View Post
    Downloaded the PTO files but they were listed as pactex2a through pactex2d. Part d was listed as part 4 of 4. Could not find a pactex2e.zip Am i ok ?
    The 'e' part was released later than the other four parts, but you can definitely find it at Flightsim.com by searching for the exact file name 'pactex2e.zip'.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Roxane. Already have it. Didn't install them because the read me stated it was best viewed from 4000 to 8000 ft. I usually fly lower and higher than that. Also, viewable distances had to be set lower which i don't like. Might save my original files then add these as a test and see if i like them. Regards,Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kurt View Post
    Pactex is good but I personally find the ground texture colors too light for jungle areas.
    My main interest in PTO is early war carrier operations (Coral Sea, Midway, etc) and flying around the numerous coral reef atolls. That's why I like pactex2 texures, just because their coral reef rendition looks amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings5859 View Post
    Also, viewable distances had to be set lower which i don't like.
    This will be the same with any texture set, excepted CFS2 original ground/water textures. If you set the viewable distance to the maximum, you will get weird-looking sharp edges on the horizon. That's because CFS2 will stop showing ground/water textures from a certain distance, and will show rough unicolor polygons instead. Those rough polygons are set to match default textures, and will not blend with add-on textures.

Blog Entries
    Cool.Thanks for the info.

Members who have read this thread: 0