Annual donation drive. Its that time of the year again.

Thread: Annual donation drive. Its that time of the year again.

Annual donation drive. Its that time of the year again.

Dear friends,

This is the time of the year you are asked to support your forum. Below the message from DangerousDave in which he explains our immediate needs.

Thanks for your attention and hopefully you are able to support the Sim-Outhouse,

Best regards,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerousdave26
    Bandwidth Drive 2019

Fellow Flight Simulator Enthusiasts it is time to start the bandwidth drive for 2019. As always we are faced with dwindling membership and expanding server needs. This year the goal is to raise enough money to replace both of our servers Linux and Windows with 1 server capable of running both servers as virtual machines. The primary issue with this plan right now is I don’t have concrete numbers from the data center. Plan 1 would be to purchase an off lease used server with enough power to run both virtual machines. Plan 2 is to lease the 1 server from our data center and build it out as desired. This puts us in a situation that we don’t really know how much to money we need to raise. The goal this year will be the same as last year $10,000 to start with, that should give us a good starting point.

There is of course a Plan 3 if both of those ideas become too costly. We simply renew both servers and have the data center upgrade the hardware for the .net server. It has been extremely hard to keep running for the last few months.

As always Thank You for another year.

The Staff of SOH

Did my bit for the good of the cause.

Cheers -- BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

You have my $$ support for another fine year! Best flight sim forum ever.

Quote Originally Posted by llanning08 View Post
    ...Best flight sim forum ever.
    Not to mention the downloads.

(Oops, I mentioned the downloads!)

No only do we have a great library, much of it, perhaps most of it, isn't available anywhere else!

done

Many thanks to all SOH staff, who do a great job here.

Ulrich

Done and very happy to have done so. You guys do a great job for the hobby!

Same procedure as every year............
    Done
    Mike

Done and did!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Kicked in my bucks too. We're doing pretty good for just a few days into the drive.

Thank you guys. as always we made a good start but after a few days it slows down a bit.

Just for the statistics; We have over 38,000 members, from which over 4,000 are frequent posters.......

Cheers,
    Huub

Thanks for the stats...

Stupid really, as if all 4000 donated $2.5/€2.25/£2, we'd be there, or even 2000 donating $5/€4.5/£4..it's not rocket science is it?!!

Keep that whip going Huub....

Cheers

Shessi

Alas, there are many of us who donate more than that, so it looks as though there must be many who don't donate at all.

But maybe not. It's early in the month and many people get paid semi-monthly, around the middle of the month and then again at the end. And many folks, especially pensioners like a lot of us, only get pain once a month, at the end.

In previous years the drive would start slowly, then by the end of the month donations would come in and we'd make the goal. I think we'll make it this year too.

Hi,
    I hope we make the total needed, as this is a great site and well worth supporting with a few dollars or whatever currency you like!

Andy.

I'm one of those pensioners and can't donate until the 20th, but then...

Randy
    Randy Tyndall
    It's congenital really. We're an aspiring species that doesn't have wings. What else would we dream of?-Mark Vanhoenacker, British Airways B747 pilot

Icon12

Mick,

''especially pensioners like a lot of us, only get pain once a month, at the end.''

Nasty! mind you, it's only at the end...take a 'tip' from me go see the doc around the 25th of each month, he'll sort you out.....he he he...

And Randy, what would you much rather have, a great simming community at it's best with loads to download, or food and water?

Shessi

Done! My first time, too. Don't really know what took me so long.
    America never stopped being great.

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    Mick,

''especially pensioners like a lot of us, only get pain once a month, at the end.''

Nasty! mind you, it's only at the end...take a 'tip' from me go see the doc around the 25th of each month, he'll sort you out.....he he he...

Shessi
    And the older we get, the earlier the end of the month comes to bring that pain! But I guess at our age we should be thankful that we only get pain at the end of the month.

This is one of the big challenges we will have to face in the near future. The average age of the members is increasing and the amount of member is shrinking rapidly. So we will have less people who also can afford less On the other side we will have to face increasing costs....

As Mick already said the SOH library contains many unique downloads, it would be a real shame when this would get lost.

Therefore every donation is more than welcome.

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    And the older we get, the earlier the end of the month comes to bring that pain! But I guess at our age we should be thankful that we only get pain at the end of the month.

I am also one of those "pensioners".... I get the part about the end of the month. Still, we all find funds for the SOH, tho.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Members who have read this thread: 0