P3Dv4 and Windows 10 64 bit

Thread: P3Dv4 and Windows 10 64 bit

P3Dv4 and Windows 10 64 bit

I've got some questions to ask about my operating system and if I can run P3Dv4 on it or not. It's a Windows 10 64bit OS and I read on the net that W10 64 bit can run both 32 bit and 64 bit programs. It seems so as I bought a game that was for Windows 7 64 bit and I thought I would try run it on my system. To my surprise it worked perfectly. Compared to earlier versions of that game that were 32 bit, this 64 bit game was smooth and fluid.
    It got me wondering if I can also run the 64 bit P3Dv4 on my 64 bit system alongside the 32 bit programs like FSX on my PC? Is this possible?
    Mark

There is absulutely no problem running P2Dv4 on Windows 10, 64b. Actually Lockheed Martin has that as the preferred OS listed.

I have that running as well as FSX-SE, which is 32bit.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Thanks, that is great to know. I'm wondering which one of the versions of P3v4 is the main one run by the simmers here as I'm aware there are different versions of it.
    Mark

My guess is that most of the P3d V4 installations in the wild are the 64 bit variety, since only about 35% of Windows computers are running 7 any more (everyone seems to just pretend 8 never happened), and most Windows 10 installations are likely to be the 64 bit version of the OS.

As far as I know P3dv4 only comes in a 64bit version, so it requires a 64bit OS. P3dv3 was the last version in 32bit.

See here: http://www.prepar3d.com/system-requirements/
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

I think he's probably referring to the L word

We don't talk about that here, just go with whichever one you conscience can live with
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

You can definitely run 64bit p3d and 32bit FSX and P3D on 64bit windows, but 64 bit P3D will not run on 32 bit windows.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Running P3Dv4 well is not just a matter of the operating system (and it sounds like you have a compatible operating system). The "horsepower" running your OS is also important. For a year or so I was running P3Dv4 with an AMD Ryzen 7 1700 CPU and an RX580 graphics card. It ran OK, but not stupendous! I just upgraded to a 2700X and an RX590. P3Dv4 runs much better now.

Many folks run P3Dv4 using intel CPUs and Nvidia graphics cards and seem to prefer those products over AMD items. My point, however, is that running the P3Dv4 software is a more enjoyable experience (and you worry less about having to "tweak") on a powerful system. Good luck and enjoy...it's a great program.
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Members who have read this thread: 0