How do I get PBR Materials to show up in the Max Viewport?

Thread: How do I get PBR Materials to show up in the Max Viewport?

How do I get PBR Materials to show up in the Max Viewport?

I have recently (as in a week ago) had to begin working on projects using P3Dv4.4 PBR Materials. However, in my Max 2017 none of the PBR albedo textures are being used in the Max Viewport, which makes further work exceedingly difficult!

Has anyone a clue as to what I need to do to get this working properly?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CT5Cd.jpg  
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Be sure to use Nitrous DirectX 11 version. A warning, PBR will not display accurately in Max and will slow the thing horribly unless you have a super computer.

Agree with Bazzar

On my system, PBR modeling is almost unusable. I do all my stuff with regular materials...and switch to PBR once modeling is complete.
    Also, on my system, appearance in Max has nothing to do with the in-game one.

Thank you both!

Nitrous DirectX 11 was the clue I needed gentlemen! I didn't have the DX Mode option showing in my Max 2017:

After a few minute of Google-Fu, I learned that I could use the Start Menu to change the driver from here:

This then launched Max 2017 and it only listed "Nitrous DX9" as the active driver in the Preferences/Viewports tab. When I closed Max 2017 and re-launched it, I now had "Nitrous DX11" as the active driver.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CTAqe.png   CTAt0.png  
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Disable Gamma and LUT

On my system I've found disabling Gamma and LUT in settings really improved the quality of PBR textures also.

Bill suggest you use Substance Painter or Quixel plugin for PS for most control over your PBR workflow.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Bill suggest you use Substance Painter or Quixel plugin for PS for most control over your PBR workflow.
    My only task is to create the PBR Material entries in Max using the PBR textures supplied to me by our texture artist. I don't see how SP or Quixel would help in that task.

Something is still not quite right however, because the display of PBR textures in Max is not consistent. Say I've made some minor change on the model in Max, then save it to an incremented file. Whenever I load that new file I may or may not see the textures in Max. Too many times it only displays as solid gray or white, and nothing I do can get it to work again!
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations

Quote Originally Posted by gary20 View Post
    On my system I've found disabling Gamma and LUT in settings really improved the quality of PBR textures also.
    Both Gamma and LUT are disabled already.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations

Members who have read this thread: 0