While we are on the subject of Firepower

Thread: While we are on the subject of Firepower

While we are on the subject of Firepower

On my firepower 1.08 original install, all of the versions of the me410 aircraft crash when you try to change seats to the gunner position, was there ever a patch to fix this or does it only happen to me?
    The gunsight reticle position work ok, only the F8 gunners position causes the crash to desktop

Manny

Glad to be back - Now if I can just remember how to fly this damned thing........

Quote Originally Posted by Mixxer View Post
    On my firepower 1.08 original install, all of the versions of the me410 aircraft crash when you try to change seats to the gunner position, was there ever a patch to fix this or does it only happen to me?
    The gunsight reticle position work ok, only the F8 gunners position causes the crash to desktop
    The turrets work fine for me.

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    No problem with mine and i have them in my ETO install and another custom install.

Mine maintain level flight while in gunner positions...........

hmm ok thanks, I will try a reinstall
    Manny

Glad to be back - Now if I can just remember how to fly this damned thing........

There should be 20 files in your me_410_share folder. It could be a missing or corrupted texture file there, as they get accessed when you take the gunner seat.

The other thing that get's called for as you take the seat is the me410null_gun, and 13mmmg131_gun, calling for the 13mmMG131_round, and the c13 sound files xgun_13mm_mg131.wav and gun_13mm_mg131.wav.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Major Ive confirmed i have the 20 files in the me410 shared folder.

The rear guns do work with them tracking and shooting at enemy aircraft within the limits of the aircraft xdp while im flying which im sure proves all the related gun files are there.
    Just to rule it out I did confirm that both the gun and null_gun xdp files are present and loaded (confirmed by the bdps being present), same for the round for the 13mmmg131_gun in the weapons folder, however the me410null_gun has no round listed ie defaultweapon"".
    From memory i seem to remember null guns are just there for the turret in this case

I have 4 cockpit m3d files in the 410a (extra one is for the bomb sight position i presume) and 3 in the other 3 410 versions, all of them are named as per the stock naming setup, so shouldnt be a problem there.

The aircraft xdp seats entries look alright to me but if yourself or somebody else could confirm its the same for your version that would be great.

Below is the seats entries from the me410a
    Code:
    <Seats>
          <Seat Name="Pilot">
             <Stations>
                <Station Name="Pilot" Type="pilot_station" View="0" FovUp="26" FovDown="30">
                   <PadlockLimit AzimuthMin="-110" AzimuthMax="110" ElevationMax="90" ElevationMin="-55"/>
                   <Views>
                      <View Event="HeadStop"/>
                      <View Event="HeadPitchUp" Azimuth="0" Elevation="-30"/>
                      <View Event="HeadPitchDown" Azimuth="0" Elevation="30"/>
                      <View Event="HeadPitchUpLeft" Azimuth="-45" Elevation="5"/>
                      <View Event="HeadPitchUpRight" Azimuth="45" Elevation="5"/>
                      <View Event="HeadRotLeft" Azimuth="-90" Elevation="-5"/>
                      <View Event="HeadRotRight" Azimuth="90" Elevation="-5"/>
                      <View Event="HeadPitchDownLeft" Azimuth="-134" Elevation="0"/>
                      <View Event="HeadPitchDownRight" Azimuth="134" Elevation="0"/>
                   </Views>
                   <GunStations>
                      <GunStation ID="0"/>
                      <GunStation ID="1"/>
                      <GunStation ID="2"/>
                      <GunStation ID="3"/>
                   </GunStations>
                </Station>
                <Station Name="Gunsight" Type="pilot_station" View="1" FovUp="20" FovDown="20">
                   <PadlockLimit AzimuthMin="-110" AzimuthMax="110" ElevationMax="90" ElevationMin="-55"/>
                   <Views>
                      <View Event="HeadStop"/>
                   </Views>
                   <GunStations>
                      <GunStation ID="0"/>
                      <GunStation ID="1"/>
                      <GunStation ID="2"/>
                      <GunStation ID="3"/>
                   </GunStations>
                </Station>
                <Station Name="Bombsight" Type="bomber_station" View="6" MaxFOV="40"/>
             </Stations>
          </Seat>
          <Seat Name="Gunner">
             <Stations>
                <Station Name="RIGHT WAIST" Type="gunner_station" View="2">
                   <GunStations>
                      <GunStation ID="4"/>
                      <GunStation ID="6"/>
                   </GunStations>
                </Station>
                <Station Name="RIGHT UPPER" Type="gunner_station" View="3" FovUp="20" FovDown="15">
                   <Views>
                      <View Event="HeadStop"/>
                   </Views>
                   <GunStations>
                      <GunStation ID="4"/>
                      <GunStation ID="6"/>
                   </GunStations>
                </Station>
                <Station Name="LEFT UPPER" Type="gunner_station" View="4" FovUp="20" FovDown="15">
                   <Views>
                      <View Event="HeadStop"/>
                   </Views>
                   <GunStations>
                      <GunStation ID="5"/>
                      <GunStation ID="7"/>
                   </GunStations>
                </Station>
                <Station Name="LEFT WAIST" Type="gunner_station" View="5">
                   <GunStations>
                      <GunStation ID="5"/>
                      <GunStation ID="7"/>
                   </GunStations>
                </Station>
             </Stations>
          </Seat>
       </Seats>
    The bad news is that I reinstalled again with the same result, looks like I will have to fly these birds myself instead of sometimes being a slacker and just sitting in the gunner position.
    Last edited by hairyspin; March 3rd, 2019 at 06:43.
    Manny

Yes, that looks fine.

A crash back to the desktop usually means a missing or corrupted file, and since it doesn't happen until you leave the pilot's position I thought it would be related to the few things specific to when the gunner's cockpits are activated.

I just checked all of mine again and they work in each view without exception.

Do you get in the seat for a second, and then the game crashes, or does it happen as soon as you hit F8?

Does F8 work properly for other FP aircraft like the B-17G?
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Yep all other aircraft with gunner positions work fine.

The game freezes and CTD as soon as I hit the F8 button.

No matter mate I will just fly it from the pilots seat thanks for your help
    Manny

Another couple of questions about Firepower:

Is there anything that can be done about the lack of shine/reflectivity on the B-29's turrets? I know its texture comes from a different file than the main aircraft, but nothing about said texture appears amiss to my untrained eye.

Similarly, clearly, the B-17G is intended to be bare metal, but like the B-29 turrets, it doesn't shine either. Anything that can be done about that? I know the bird is not as good as the ETO ones, but if it can be made better easily, I'd like to do it.

For the B-29 you would need to create a b_29_t_1.+sr.dds texture and do a minor hex edit the m3d file.

The B-17 would just need the hex edit.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Sorry for all the questions!

Back in my FS-SDOE days, certain aircraft files needed to be modified to use higher res textures, otherwise, no matter what size you used, it would always display at the lower resolution unless the aircraft was geared to display the higher res file. It seems the same is true with CFS3 as no matter what res I use for the Firepower B-29, the nose art I've created still looks like garbage. I'm guessing the answer is hex edit? One I can easily be walked through?

SOH-CM-2020

Noseart

hi threedp, don't do anything too radical just yet. IIRC there is part of the cfs3config setup which improves the look of external textures. Not at my CFS3 rig but it is something like D3D pool = Render target?

Have you checked the settings of your configoverrides.xml in your AppData pathway?

Haven't done anything yet and now I'm sure I'm on the wrong path as the very same texture looks great in my PTO install, but awful in my ETO install.

The ConfigOverrides section you're looking for is

<CompositeAircraftTextureBudget val="10240"/>
    <CompositeAircraftTextureMaxDim val="4096"/>
    <CompositeAircraftTexturePool val="D3DPOOL_DEFAULT"/>
    <CompositeAircraftTextureUsage val="D3DUSAGE_RENDERTARGET"/>
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Thanks to all for the help!

Also had to edit this line: