SOH A-26B/C Update now available
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SOH A-26B/C Update now available

SOH A-26B/C Update now available

After a lot of work on tidying up, this limited conversion to FSX-native is now available here in the Library. It has 10 models and 18 skins and represents the A/B-26 from 1945 on, up its early days in Vietnam. Some of the paints are mine, and others are from earlier times. Basically any paint will fit but you may need to get rid of common textures. Specs and bumps are included. The vc has not been updated apart from the addition of a rather lovely M20 gunsight from ********. If you already have a copy in your Airplanes directory you may need to delete the panel folder, otherwise the old 2D gunsight will appear. Hope you enjoy it as much I've enjoyed doing it!

DaveQ
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Thanks Dave. Will be downloading this one as soon as I get home this evening. ???

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Thanks for this!!

Will it work in P3Dv4.4??

Thanks for the answer in advance!

Priller

Milton's just pm'ed me with a couple of points; The aircraft.cfg needed amending because the variant numbers were out of sequence (fixed), the civil A-26C was still armed (!!) and the texture folder lacks light map files. I've posted an update of the aircraft.cfg file to the library and will look into the light map situation over the coming days (weeks, months!!)

DaveQ

Priller - mostly I think! Not thoroughly tested but I have flown it in P3Dv4.4
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Thanks for this!!

Will it work in P3Dv4.4??

Thanks for the answer in advance!

Priller
    Works great!!
    I haven't tested everything to a gnat's rump, but I bet there are few if any glitches in P3D4. I use windows 10. P3D4.4, NVIDIA 970 card.

Nice work --

to get all of the paint schemes to show, you must open the aircraft .cfg file and correct the numbers -
    1-5 are ok but then it jumps to 8... just fix them and put into proper sequence to get them all to show up
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Just like the old model, I get an immediate CTD when trying to load this model in FSX. Sad really. Something about this model. Nothing else in my collection of aircraft does this.

-d
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    Just like the old model, I get an immediate CTD when trying to load this model in FSX. Sad really. Something about this model. Nothing else in my collection of aircraft does this.

-d
    It is curious that others can run this in P3D. Sounds like something specific to your setup, sound or video card, or a sim setting.
    What version of P3D do you run now?

Have you tried to isolate the sounds and the panel folder (gauge sensitivity) which are likely problem areas?

In the panel folder, there are two possibilities - the A26_engine_start.gau (remove) and the "overhead.bmp", a non-standard size.

In the panel.cfg, Vcockpit01 section, this statement seems to require a folder not present. Try commenting it out. Looks to be unnecessary.
    gauge49=dsd_xml_sound3!dsd_xml_sound3,10,10,20,20, ./gauges/A26B_sound.cfg

Try aliasing the Sound folder to another aircraft.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    It is curious that others can run this in P3D. Sounds like something specific to your setup, sound or video card, or a sim setting.

Have you tried to isolate the sounds and the panel folder (gauge sensitivity) which are likely problem areas?

In the panel folder, there are two possibilities - the A26_engine_start.gau (remove) and the "overhead.bmp", a non-standard size.

In the panel.cfg, Vcockpit01 section, this statement seems to require a folder not present. Try commenting it out. Looks to be unnecessary.

Possibly terrain mesh; this is a problem even with PMDG 737s for P3D. Needed to decrease mesh to 19m.

Thank you for yet another daily flier Milton - I don't have too many warbirds in my library but this one was always a favorite of mine

enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    Thank you for yet another daily flier Milton - I don't have too many warbirds in my library but this one was always a favorite of mine
    Thank you. Although I modeled and led the original project, DaveQ and team get the credit for this one Sir. This is just an interim step to what DaveQ and team has coming with a welcome all new cockpit and munitions, the K variant, etc.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

This is FSX. I don't have P3D. I will give these recommendations a try.

This is FSX. I don't have P3D. I will give these recommendations a try.
    This fixed the CTD:

Muchas Gracias.

That's glorious dvj!!

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

SOH-CM-2023
    Marvellous work!
    The only variant left for now would be an B-26N
    http://thedrive.com/the-war-zone/976...-night-fighter

This fixed the CTD:

Muchas Gracias.
    Great to hear; maybe DaveQ can remove that from the panel.cfg. It supported the original slow prop start energizer.wav I believe.
    The original docs explained that the slow start stuff would crash to the desktop in any sim other than FS9.

I think Spokes2112 has created a version of that slow start which would work in FSX/P3D if interested.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Great to hear; maybe DaveQ can remove that from the panel.cfg. It supported the original slow prop start energizer.wav I believe.
    The original docs explained that the slow start stuff would crash to the desktop in any sim other than FS9.

I think Spokes2112 has created a version of that slow start which would work in FSX/P3D if interested.

I'm just happy to have this thing flying.

Following the project, but really hit home as I visited the Hill AFB Aerospace Museum this week and was standing face 2 face with a real A-26!
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Love this aircraft!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Douglas A-26B-15-DT, 43-22369, 'Stinky', RG-A, 552nd BS, 386th BG, 9th AF USAAF - Beaumont, Fran.jpg  
    Very Respectfully,

Jim 'Doc' Johnson, SMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Fac Fortia Et Patere

Sorry a little confused here....!?!?

Must one download and install other products to make this particular add-on work!?

I have read the "read me" file and it says to put the contents of "Effects" folder into your FSX Effects folder and the such...!? There is no "Effects" folder in this package!?!

If there is more to this add-on could someone post the correct and full procedure to make this aircraft work -if one has NEVER installed the SOH A-26B/C- please.

Cheers,
    Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy74 View Post

Must one download and install other products to make this particular add-on work!?

I have read the "read me" file and it says to put the contents of "Effects" folder into your FSX Effects folder and the such...!? There is no "Effects" folder in this package!?!

If there is more to this add-on could someone post the correct and full procedure to make this aircraft work -if one has NEVER installed the SOH A-26B/C- please.

Cheers,
    Tim.
    This was my first download and flight of the A-26 and everything seemed fine. I do, however, also have the A-20 and B-26, so I would bet I have similar effects. What exactly doesn't work for you?
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

I think the problem is he doesn't know if there's a problem. Missing effects don't always rear their head in a way that's noticeable if you don't know it should be there.

For instance, the searchlight effect was left out of the latest round of Stoof's, and, unless you knew what to look for it's tough to fix. Not to mention the developers were saying the searchlight effect was working for them in the forums. Unfortunately, the effect was commented out or missing from the cfg files, and the effect file wasn't included in any of the released kits for the Native FSX models.

Not a big deal, a little sleuthing and all is good, but, I think he's just asking what effects are needed to complete the model....

(P.S. I'm still trying to figure out what effect file is needed for the Bicentennial US-2B for the flashing lights top and bottom of the fuselage. There's no line for them in the "lights" section so I don't know what file it's looking for, but they're trying to flash, I get the classic black plane when they try to flash. And those lights are working fine in all the latest Native FSX models. But I assume I'll eventually figure out how those lights work and figure out what file is missing.

Or it could just be my laptop can't keep up and the effect file is there? It does have issues loading textures fast. I've improved it of late with some nVidia settings, but my 2018 Win10 Dell Precision laptop with 32GB and 4GB Quadro M2200 is still blown away in performance by my circa 2010 Win7 Desktop with 18GB and 2 GB GTX1050. Granted, I've got my desktop running at 3.8GHz, and the laptop is only 2.3 GHz (3.2GHz turbo), but, still, ya'd think... a "high performance" 2018 laptop is having trouble running a circa 2007 piece of software? Something ain't right. Onward sleuthing!)

(I do gotta say I'm not a fan of "auto-install" releases. I realize that lots of people can't be bothered with understanding the file layout and figuring out what goes where, but it makes it hard to search through a bunch of releases to find missing files. And missing files and install goofs are a given no matter how professional level a release is. I make mistakes all the time in my releases. )
    Last edited by FlyingsCool; March 4th, 2019 at 09:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy74 View Post

Cheers,
    Tim.
    The original model was an FS2004 model from 2007. The effects folder you are looking for is in that package. I didn't include it in this package for which I apologise; it is attached. There are a number of options for the start-up effect; 'fx_Cranky_A26' is the current one but the flame effect is not very realistic in FSX and poor in P3D (pointed out by Milton in a pm). I'm currently using 'fx_Cranky_A262' which is a small mod that seems to work better. The 'fx_Cranky_A20' or 'fx_Cranky_B26' work as well but without the flame effect. All are included, just copy them into the main effects folder in FSX and/or P3D.

Hope that is satisfactory for you.

DaveQ
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    The original model was an FS2004 model from 2007. The effects folder you are looking for is in that package. I didn't include it in this package for which I apologise; it is attached. There are a number of options for the start-up effect; 'fx_Cranky_A26' is the current one but the flame effect is not very realistic in FSX and poor in P3D (pointed out by Milton in a pm). I'm currently using 'fx_Cranky_A262' which is a small mod that seems to work better. The 'fx_Cranky_A20' or 'fx_Cranky_B26' work as well but without the flame effect. All are included, just copy them into the main effects folder in FSX and/or P3D.

Hope that is satisfactory for you.

DaveQ
    That's it DaveQ!

Thank you very much and all whom have added their bit to make this such an enjoyable add-on.

....now if some great painter would paint "Tanker 59" from the movie Always that would be the cherry on top!? LOL!!

Members who have read this thread: 1