Administrator privileges

Thread: Administrator privileges

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries

Administrator privileges

I'd like to install a download into my FSX but the thing insists I don't have sufficient privileges to do so and I must log in as an administrator to finish the installation. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium w/all service packs installed. What's the easy way to temporarily change things so I can do this one time, then change the system back to its current settings because it's working perfectly otherwise?

Did you right click on it and choose run as administrator?

FSX as Administrator

What Addon are you trying to install? I have seen in many README's that you need to have "right-clicked" and clicked run as administrator on your FSX.Exe which won't be a bad thing to do. It won't affect any program functions as far as I know.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    The file is a zip file, the Abacus Platinum Edition PBY-5. File title is ABD-105.zip. Right-clicking on the file on the desktop produces a range of things in a dialog box; none of the options that appear say anything about an administrator, but none of those that expand have any option saying "Run as administrator," either.

Quote Originally Posted by SSI01 View Post
    I'd like to install a download into my FSX but the thing insists I don't have sufficient privileges to do so and I must log in as an administrator to finish the installation. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium w/all service packs installed. What's the easy way to temporarily change things so I can do this one time, then change the system back to its current settings because it's working perfectly otherwise?
    When you installed Win7 originally did you set yourself as the Administrator? The fact that it's Win7 Premium with all service packs means little really. It just wants to see that you are the administrator.

Apparently this is something that has never happened before with any other addons you've downloaded and installed.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    You're absolutely correct and it must be something Abacus did as routine with their downloads. It has never happened before. I also recall other OSs where all one had to do was right-click on the file and a series of choices showed up in a clickable dialog box, one of which was "Open as Administrator." No such luck now.

I never set myself as the Administrator because I don't know how to do that. In the past that was an option you could pursue as an alternative to what was apparently set as default by the OS.

I wonder if contacting Abacus with this problem (if they're still around) could help solve it. Maybe it's just advancing age and putting up with a lot of BS over the course of my life but stuff like this wears my patience thin.

Have you turn the UAC off?
    That's always been a PITA.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    UAC?

I've also messaged Abacus directly about this asking for advice on how to do what I've been asking about - or get a work-around for this. Let's see how long it takes for them to get back to me about it.

You should be able to open the zip file in Windows Explorer to see its contents. In there should be the installer for the PBY. Right-click on that and see if you get a "Run as Administrator" option.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Will give it a go.

I forgot - this is only the .exe file. There's no way I know of to open this one except by their method - if I open w/WinZip - using any of the options it gives - all I get is the .exe file the same as if I clicked on the .zip file itself. It's password protected and they've got you.

Didn’t you get a password for the download when you bought it?
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

The message is typically something generated by your operating system (Windows 7). It normally means that you want to install something in a Windows system directory. It could also be a read-only file somewhere in the install which you try to move.

My advice is that you try to install your download in a temporarily folder and move it from there into FSX.

Cheers,
    Huub

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, Huub but I'm not sure I can do that.

I can't open this file in any other way than left-clicking on it. Every other way results in it opening the same as if I had left-clicked on it. This is the .exe file for the auto-installer and it flat won't open any other way. Right-clicking on it does produce some other options but none of them will allow the file to be opened by anything other than its own .exe file. Abacus looks like they've got this file locked up tighter than a drum and the ONLY option they give me is to change the options for my own OS.

I haven't checked my personal email yet, maybe they've replied to my request for assistance on this.

Silly question time on your process...

Have you extracted the installer *.exe file to a temporary directory BEFORE trying to run it?

Basically what I do is first left click on the *.zip file which opens it. I then right click on the contents which opens a menu that allows me to extract it. I then pick a location or target folder for extraction, then proceed. I can then run the installer.

I assume that is what you're doing, but hard to tell from the posts.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Hairyspin - I've managed to get it as far as I have by using the password. The zip opens, correctly identifies the folder the download is to be installed into, and even starts the download - gets to about the 60% point and then I get the msg about the "administrator privileges" stuff.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Silly question time on your process...

Have you extracted the installer *.exe file to a temporary directory BEFORE trying to run it?

Basically what I do is first left click on the *.zip file which opens it. I then right click on the contents which opens a menu that allows me to extract it. I then pick a location or target folder for extraction, then proceed. I can then run the installer.

I assume that is what you're doing, but hard to tell from the posts.
    Right now it's on the desktop. My FSX setup is in my "G" drive. You think I should try opening it in the "G" drive?

EDIT: Moved the zip file into my "G" folder. Made a new folder in the "G" folder called "Abacus." Tried unzipping it into the new folder and got the same reaction as before.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    I FINALLY got it.

Left the zip file in the "Abacus" folder I created in the "G" drive.
    In Abacus folder, Right-clicked on the download .zip file icon, and went to "WinZip" icon in dialog box
    Right-clicked WinZip icon, clicked on "extract to folder G:Abacus"
    Both FS9 and FSX install icons appeared in very small format.
    Clicked on install to FSX icon, selected "Install in 'Abacus' folder" as destination.
    Separate folders marked "effects" and "simobjects" appeared.

I think I finally performed the equivalent of cracking into Ft Knox. This is the first time I've ever had to perform this procedure. Hopefully it will be the last.

Members who have read this thread: 0