PTO and Rhumba's Watemasks
Contribute Now
Goal amount for this year: 10000 USD, Received: 6,440.00 USD (65%)
Welcome Back, Unregistered     Today's Date:       Current Time: 

Please Support the SOH "2019 Charter Membership Drive"




Accepted Payment Types

Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: PTO and Rhumba's Watemasks

  1. #1

    PTO and Rhumba's Watemasks

    Hi All,

    I am making a new PTO install from scratch and I have a question about Rhumba's Mesh and Watermasks.

    In Rami and DVSlats PTO install guide it says put the watermask files in the SCENEDB\world\scenery folder.

    I seem to remember people saying the watermasks are too 'aggressive'? and they should be deactivated.

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    Cheers,

    Stuart

  2. #2

    Icon22 Reply...

    Stuart,

    It's a complicated question. There are certain packages of MaskRider's that are built specifically for Rhunbaflappy's watermasks; some Dutch East Indies airfields, some additional DEI airfields by Onnogras, MaskRider's Marianas, and his Sakishima-Gunto airfield packages. Other than that, it's problematic.
    "Rami"

    "Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

    My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

  3. #3
    Hi Stuart,

    If you want to have all the PTO scenery available, download all of Rhumba's files, viz. water masks, mesh, coast and water files. Install as separate layers via the scenery library in either the SCENEDB or ADDON folders. The water masks, coast and water files are one layer each (the water files are a few separate downloads). The LOD5 mesh goes in the SCENEDB/world folder while the LOD 7 and LOD 8 files are separate layers installed via the scenery library.

    Once the hierarchy is correct, the complicated part is activating/deactivating layers depending on which part of the PTO you are operating. The mesh can stay active all the time while you may have to switch from Rhumba's older coast and water files to his newer water masks and vice versa depending where you are.

    If you go ahead with this I can give you the scenery order plus a few other details.

    Cheers,

    Kevin

  4. #4
    Tiller of Soil MaskRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!
    Age
    67
    Posts
    1,947

    Icon22

    Quote Originally Posted by stuart277 View Post
    I seem to remember people saying the watermasks are too 'aggressive'? and they should be deactivated.
    Hiya Stuart,

    Yes, I have said this.

    What I mean by it is that in creation of these huge watermask bgls, a lot of coastal detail is lost in the process of compiling the water-masking bgls. In the processes of using a program (such as Auto-coast for instance) to expedite the creation of these watermasks, smoothing gets aggressively incorporated into the bgl-creation parameters in order to avoid various visual anomalies. The larger the area of ground that a single mater-mask bgl encompasses the more noticeable will be this loss of coastline detail.

    One can never use the coastlines, meaning the un-adorned beach-less shape at the edge of the water mask, straight out of the box as it were, because it doesn't accurately portray the details of what was/is actually there.

    I am in no way criticizing Rhumba for this smoothing. It is a necessary fact of life. It is simply what needs to be done in order to achieve the result. But, when zooming in and building scenery at a much more localized location, one needs to go back in and recreate the details.

    This is what I was referring to in an earlier post on the other thread when I said "So there is no need to get rid of Rhumbas water masks because I just dump them anyway at whatever location I am building."

    I "null-out" Rhumbas too-smooth water masks at those location and recreate them in detail.

    MR
    Last edited by MaskRider; February 23rd, 2019 at 05:59.
    "The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised."

    - George Will


    MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Scenery SlideShows (View with IE) MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

  5. #5

    Watermasks - see thread in Landscapers Forum

    Dick is hard at work still ... see this thread in the Landscapers Forum http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...Slartibartfast

    If we show enough interest & support, I'm sure he will come through for us!
    Last edited by UncleTgt; February 23rd, 2019 at 05:12. Reason: spelling

  6. #6
    I'm actually doing some work on this now. I'm taking some newer 25 meter water masking data, and cleaning it up. Hopefully that will be done in a day or 2. I then need to split it up into smaller chunks, and run it through Slartibartfast to make the assembly files, and translate them to CFS2 BGLs. I'm also trying to translate Slarti's shorelines into something that can be used for CFS2. But that has always been a problem.

  7. #7
    bump I'm still interested

  8. #8
    I too, am interested. And thank you developers for all you have contributed.

    msfossey

  9. #9
    Most definitely interested
    Cheers,

    Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    Dick is hard at work still ... see this thread in the Landscapers Forum http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...Slartibartfast

    If we show enough interest & support, I'm sure he will come through for us!
    I'm definitely interested!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

  11. #11
    Marcus Island with Rhumba masks minus water masks (as was recommended for PTO):

    What can I do to fix this without screwing up the Rhumbaflappy based scenery packs in this install? Should I use the water masks after all?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cfs2 2019-03-13 20-22-22-95.jpg   cfs2 2019-03-13 20-21-49-78.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

  12. #12
    SOH-CM-2019
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Newcastle, Australia
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,526
    Interest? You bet!!

  13. #13
    Sure, me too!

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    Marcus Island with Rhumba masks minus water masks (as was recommended for PTO):

    What can I do to fix this without screwing up the Rhumbaflappy based scenery packs in this install? Should I use the water masks after all?
    For comparison, here is Maskrider's Guam with Rhumba land and water masks:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cfs2 2019-03-14 12-51-00-67.jpg   cfs2 2019-03-14 12-53-25-52.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    Marcus Island with Rhumba masks minus water masks (as was recommended for PTO):

    What can I do to fix this without screwing up the Rhumbaflappy based scenery packs in this install? Should I use the water masks after all?
    You will have to revert to stock coastlines and deactivate Rhumba's water masks for Marcus Island. See my earlier post in this thread.

    I know it's a bit of a pain, but activating and deactivating scenery layers depending where you are in the Pacific is the only way I know of having your cake and eating it too.

    Cheers,
    Kevin

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by kdriver View Post
    You will have to revert to stock coastlines and deactivate Rhumba's water masks for Marcus Island. See my earlier post in this thread.

    I know it's a bit of a pain, but activating and deactivating scenery layers depending where you are in the Pacific is the only way I know of having your cake and eating it too.

    Cheers,
    Kevin
    Yes, a titanic pain in the 6 is what it is. I'll have to make notes in the campaign I'm writing to get the players to do this whenever they stray out of the "Rhumba world." Marcus, Roi and Wake are the main culprits early in the campaign. Truk is a maybe - I have to look closer at the islands there - but I understand someone (Talon?) did Truk based on Rhumba mesh.

    Thanks Kdriver!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

  17. #17
    Both Jean Bomber and Dog1 did Truk.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by kdriver View Post
    Both Jean Bomber and Dog1 did Truk.
    Thanks M8. Jean Bomber it is.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

  19. #19
    Both Jean Bombers original Truk islands, & Dog1s enhanced Jean Bomber Truk are for the old mesh


    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=45&id=13451

    is designed for Rhumbas mesh... just sayin'

  20. #20

    Yes!

    Thank you UncleTgt. I just got home and was about to download when I saw your post. Funny, I already have the Carolines and never noticed .- or more likely with my CRS, forgot that Truk was in that pack. Thanks again.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

  21. #21
    Charter Member 2016 bearcat241's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    where eagles dare!
    Age
    61
    Posts
    2,561
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    ...I'll have to make notes in the campaign I'm writing to get the players to do this whenever they stray out of the "Rhumba world." Marcus, Roi and Wake are the main culprits early in the campaign. Truk is a maybe - I have to look closer at the islands there ...
    Ouch SW ...this new one is a hard sell already -- and its still on the drawing board!

    "If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"


  22. #22
    Maskrider, a favor please: Chris, could you possibly do Roi, Wake and Marcus Is. as you did the Gilberts for the Rhumba mesh? It would be sure helpful and useful.

    Thanks:

    Greg
    Last edited by Shadow Wolf 07; March 16th, 2019 at 13:30.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

  23. #23
    SOH Staff Devildog73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Melbourne in FL, USA
    Age
    67
    Posts
    2,354
    Dick, I'm definitely interested.
    Lee
    Quote Originally Posted by rhumbaflappy View Post
    I'm actually doing some work on this now. I'm taking some newer 25 meter water masking data, and cleaning it up. Hopefully that will be done in a day or 2. I then need to split it up into smaller chunks, and run it through Slartibartfast to make the assembly files, and translate them to CFS2 BGLs. I'm also trying to translate Slarti's shorelines into something that can be used for CFS2. But that has always been a problem.
    Devildog73

    Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    Maskrider, a favor please: Chris, could you possibly do Roi, Wake and Marcus Is. as you did the Gilberts for the Rhumba mesh? It would be sure helpful and useful.

    Thanks:

    Greg
    Make that only Wake and Marcus pls.

    SW07
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Members who have read this thread: 71

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •