PTO and Rhumba's Watemasks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PTO and Rhumba's Watemasks

PTO and Rhumba's Watemasks

Hi All,

I am making a new PTO install from scratch and I have a question about Rhumba's Mesh and Watermasks.

In Rami and DVSlats PTO install guide it says put the watermask files in the SCENEDB\world\scenery folder.

I seem to remember people saying the watermasks are too 'aggressive'? and they should be deactivated.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Stuart

Icon22 Reply...

Stuart,

It's a complicated question. There are certain packages of MaskRider's that are built specifically for Rhunbaflappy's watermasks; some Dutch East Indies airfields, some additional DEI airfields by Onnogras, MaskRider's Marianas, and his Sakishima-Gunto airfield packages. Other than that, it's problematic.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Library Staff
    Hi Stuart,

If you want to have all the PTO scenery available, download all of Rhumba's files, viz. water masks, mesh, coast and water files. Install as separate layers via the scenery library in either the SCENEDB or ADDON folders. The water masks, coast and water files are one layer each (the water files are a few separate downloads). The LOD5 mesh goes in the SCENEDB/world folder while the LOD 7 and LOD 8 files are separate layers installed via the scenery library.

Once the hierarchy is correct, the complicated part is activating/deactivating layers depending on which part of the PTO you are operating. The mesh can stay active all the time while you may have to switch from Rhumba's older coast and water files to his newer water masks and vice versa depending where you are.

If you go ahead with this I can give you the scenery order plus a few other details.

Cheers,

Kevin

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by stuart277 View Post
    I seem to remember people saying the watermasks are too 'aggressive'? and they should be deactivated.
    Hiya Stuart,

Yes, I have said this.

What I mean by it is that in creation of these huge watermask bgls, a lot of coastal detail is lost in the process of compiling the water-masking bgls. In the processes of using a program (such as Auto-coast for instance) to expedite the creation of these watermasks, smoothing gets aggressively incorporated into the bgl-creation parameters in order to avoid various visual anomalies. The larger the area of ground that a single mater-mask bgl encompasses the more noticeable will be this loss of coastline detail.

One can never use the coastlines, meaning the un-adorned beach-less shape at the edge of the water mask, straight out of the box as it were, because it doesn't accurately portray the details of what was/is actually there.

I am in no way criticizing Rhumba for this smoothing. It is a necessary fact of life. It is simply what needs to be done in order to achieve the result. But, when zooming in and building scenery at a much more localized location, one needs to go back in and recreate the details.

This is what I was referring to in an earlier post on the other thread when I said "So there is no need to get rid of Rhumbas water masks because I just dump them anyway at whatever location I am building."

I "null-out" Rhumbas too-smooth water masks at those location and recreate them in detail.

MR
    Last edited by MaskRider; February 23rd, 2019 at 05:59.
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Watermasks - see thread in Landscapers Forum

Dick is hard at work still ... see this thread in the Landscapers Forum http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...Slartibartfast

If we show enough interest & support, I'm sure he will come through for us!
    Last edited by UncleTgt; February 23rd, 2019 at 05:12. Reason: spelling

I'm actually doing some work on this now. I'm taking some newer 25 meter water masking data, and cleaning it up. Hopefully that will be done in a day or 2. I then need to split it up into smaller chunks, and run it through Slartibartfast to make the assembly files, and translate them to CFS2 BGLs. I'm also trying to translate Slarti's shorelines into something that can be used for CFS2. But that has always been a problem.

bump I'm still interested

I too, am interested. And thank you developers for all you have contributed.

msfossey

Most definitely interested
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    Dick is hard at work still ... see this thread in the Landscapers Forum http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...Slartibartfast

If we show enough interest & support, I'm sure he will come through for us!
    I'm definitely interested!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Marcus Island with Rhumba masks minus water masks (as was recommended for PTO):

What can I do to fix this without screwing up the Rhumbaflappy based scenery packs in this install? Should I use the water masks after all?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cfs2 2019-03-13 20-22-22-95.jpg   cfs2 2019-03-13 20-21-49-78.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Interest? You bet!!

Sure, me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post

What can I do to fix this without screwing up the Rhumbaflappy based scenery packs in this install? Should I use the water masks after all?
    For comparison, here is Maskrider's Guam with Rhumba land and water masks:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cfs2 2019-03-14 12-51-00-67.jpg   cfs2 2019-03-14 12-53-25-52.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Library Staff

You will have to revert to stock coastlines and deactivate Rhumba's water masks for Marcus Island. See my earlier post in this thread.

I know it's a bit of a pain, but activating and deactivating scenery layers depending where you are in the Pacific is the only way I know of having your cake and eating it too.

Cheers,
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kdriver View Post
    You will have to revert to stock coastlines and deactivate Rhumba's water masks for Marcus Island. See my earlier post in this thread.

I know it's a bit of a pain, but activating and deactivating scenery layers depending where you are in the Pacific is the only way I know of having your cake and eating it too.

Cheers,
    Kevin
    Yes, a titanic pain in the 6 is what it is. I'll have to make notes in the campaign I'm writing to get the players to do this whenever they stray out of the "Rhumba world." Marcus, Roi and Wake are the main culprits early in the campaign. Truk is a maybe - I have to look closer at the islands there - but I understand someone (Talon?) did Truk based on Rhumba mesh.

Thanks Kdriver!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Library Staff
    Both Jean Bomber and Dog1 did Truk.

Quote Originally Posted by kdriver View Post
    Both Jean Bomber and Dog1 did Truk.
    Thanks M8. Jean Bomber it is.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Both Jean Bombers original Truk islands, & Dog1s enhanced Jean Bomber Truk are for the old mesh

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=45&id=13451

is designed for Rhumbas mesh... just sayin'

Yes!

Thank you UncleTgt. I just got home and was about to download when I saw your post. Funny, I already have the Carolines and never noticed .- or more likely with my CRS, forgot that Truk was in that pack. Thanks again.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

...I'll have to make notes in the campaign I'm writing to get the players to do this whenever they stray out of the "Rhumba world." Marcus, Roi and Wake are the main culprits early in the campaign. Truk is a maybe - I have to look closer at the islands there ...
    Ouch SW ...this new one is a hard sell already -- and its still on the drawing board!

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Maskrider, a favor please: Chris, could you possibly do Roi, Wake and Marcus Is. as you did the Gilberts for the Rhumba mesh? It would be sure helpful and useful.

Greg
    Last edited by Shadow Wolf 07; March 16th, 2019 at 13:30.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Dick, I'm definitely interested.
    Lee
    Quote Originally Posted by rhumbaflappy View Post
    I'm actually doing some work on this now. I'm taking some newer 25 meter water masking data, and cleaning it up. Hopefully that will be done in a day or 2. I then need to split it up into smaller chunks, and run it through Slartibartfast to make the assembly files, and translate them to CFS2 BGLs. I'm also trying to translate Slarti's shorelines into something that can be used for CFS2. But that has always been a problem.
    Devildog73

Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

Maskrider, a favor please: Chris, could you possibly do Roi, Wake and Marcus Is. as you did the Gilberts for the Rhumba mesh? It would be sure helpful and useful.

Greg
    Make that only Wake and Marcus pls.

SW07
    "De Oppresso Liber"

I have apparently installed Rhumba's mesh and MR's Marianas correctly. But in Mission Builder, I only see half the base at MN MI Saipan Isley 7R as in the 2 views below. It is as though the elevation changes throughout the base, going up, left to right from 100-210 feet.

In flight, everything looks normal though. Can someone tell me please what needs to be done for the MB image to work? FYI: I'm on a Win7 laptop system. The airbases.dat says the base is at 210'.

MR: Nice base!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sai002.jpg   Sai001.jpg   Sai003.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Members who have read this thread: 1