Aileron - airwrench

Thread: Aileron - airwrench

Aileron - airwrench

Hi, I hope someone can help,

In the aircraft container info for the config file it says:

aileron_area aileron_area = 18.3 Area of the top surface of all the ailerons on the wing, in ft2.

Forgive my ignorance, but this does mean wing as in singlular, therefore the area should be for just for the one (right or left) aileron, not both?

And when inputting a value via Airwrench is it again just actually asking for the area of one, rather than across both ailerons?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails aileron.png  

It’s asking for the total area of the ailerons. I understand the flight model does calculations as if there were one aileron, one elevator, one flap etc but it’s definitely working with the total areas in each case.

edit: It also does calculations as if there were only one wing, too! So biplanes, triplanes and weird things from the '20s with even more are treated for calculations as if there's only one wing of the same area as all wings added together.
    Last edited by hairyspin; February 23rd, 2019 at 10:38.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Sorry do you mean 'total area of ailerons on the aircraft' or 'total area of ailerons on one wing'.

I've found the answer to one of my questions and that is that the airwrench value is not halved going to the config file, so what goes in the box in airwrench comes out the same in the config, so I am just left seeking confirmation that the value is for one wings worth of airlerons, or two...

Australia Mate! living the good life in Gods Country
    Hi ChiefWH,

Its the total area of all ailerons on the aircraft (both wings), not just the area of a single aileron of one wing. and its the same for all other figures relating to surface area its the combined area of each part ie wings, elevators, flaps, rudder (where theres two ie Lancaster, Me110 etc).

HTH,

regards Rob.
    No other success can compensate for failure in the home..

Yes, sorry if that wasn’t clear. Total aileron area for whole aircraft.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Ah, thanks for the clarification and responses.

Members who have read this thread: 0