mos files

Thread: mos files

mos files

Can one change the mos file from 512 to 1024? Talking of which, when making bmp/dds files with Photoshop/Gimp, do we have to still use 1024 size or can we up it to 2028 (for airfield textures)?

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    Can one change the mos file from 512 to 1024? Talking of which, when making bmp/dds files with Photoshop/Gimp, do we have to still use 1024 size or can we up it to 2028 (for airfield textures)?
    Yes, you can change the .mos file size. Go to 'File > Properties' and set the desired dimensions.
    I 've used 2048x2048 for some airfields (especially the bigger bomber ones), so that is a 'Yes' too.

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

Probably an old question, but if you create an aircraft mos file it seems to default the base to 1024 x 1024 no matter the texture size associated with the aircraft. Unlike the terrain mos files there appears to be no way to change the size. This leads to not being able to use mos files for any aircraft with a high rez texture.

I noticed this when creating high rez textures (2048 or 4096) and then they wouldn't appear in game. After a bunch of head scratching I realized that the mos file was down-scaling them back into a low rez pixelated mess. The only solution appears to be getting rid of the mos files, unless someone has found a way around the 1024 base limit.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

I think the 1024 size is a hard limit.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Well one can certainly set to 4096 in the file properties but I note it never seems to saved at more than 1024 when I re import them into the Mos editor. If you experts are in fact correct. I assume that would also effect all my airfield files at 4096. So how important is the Mos file in airfield construction? It would seem the dds files are only called by the Mos file?

You should ask Clive, he’s the airfield expert. I only recall aircraft MOS files being limited to 1024x1024
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

I have never been able to get an aircraft mos file larger than 1024x1024, however, a mos file can still be used with hi-res textures without loss of quality if you follow the old groundcrew design group tutorial here: http://www.mrjmaint.com/RegsHanger/G...20settings.php

Also, the filtering method used on the texture in the mos file does effect quality. IIRC linear gives the best results, but better to try different settings and see for yourself which is better than to trust my memory on that.

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    I have never been able to get an aircraft mos file larger than 1024x1024, however, a mos file can still be used with hi-res textures without loss of quality if you follow the old groundcrew design group tutorial here: http://www.mrjmaint.com/RegsHanger/G...20settings.php

Also, the filtering method used on the texture in the mos file does effect quality. IIRC linear gives the best results, but better to try different settings and see for yourself which is better than to trust my memory on that.
    Yes, those are exactly my config settings, and I still get the resolution degradation from the mos file. It's pretty easy to see when I look at the diagonal lines. In the texture they are dead smooth at 2048 or 4096. In game they are clearly stair-stepped by the mos down-scaling to 1024.

p.s. I just checked a variety of aircraft, and some get downgraded, and others don't. I suppose the legacy mos files must be set up differently, but I can't see what it is that makes this work.

p.p.s. More experimenting and the down-scaling to 1024 happens to 4096 textures, but not to 2048 textures.
    Last edited by MajorMagee; June 17th, 2019 at 18:09.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

I've never tried 4096, I guess 2048 must be the most the mos can handle.

So having upgraded my fliegerhorst (2 so far) to 4096 it seems I should rescale the dds to 2048.
    Does that also mean the trade off for 4096 aircraft is no mos file? I note several 2048 ac don't have them anyway but does that also imply no damage file?
    I'm going to have to ask Joost and Clive how not having a mos file effects airfields.

Further on this; if I leave the dds files at 4096 but just have the mos properties set at 2048 under file/properties, would the mos be saved at 2048 or ?1024 or possibly 4096?

I think that the scenery mos files don't have the same size limitations as the aircraft ones, but I don't know for sure.

Since the mos files are how the damage effect decals are assigned, I would think that without one you would never see any visible damage accumulating as the 3D model gets shot up.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post

Since the mos files are how the damage effect decals are assigned, I would think that without one you would never see any visible damage accumulating as the 3D model gets shot up.
    Hmmmm1 There are quite a few aircraft around in both 1024 and 2048 without mos files. I assume one has to have the source files to solve that.

Re airfields, I suppose I should do 2 versions of the mos files and see what happens; just change the mos file properties, or also the dds values?

More CFS3 weirdness. I just made 2048 textures for the stock B-25 C, H and J models. When I checked the results in game the H was displaying the 2048 texture just fine, but the C and J were still showing low rez textures! Other than the one letter naming difference the 3 mos files are identical. Removed the mos files for the C and J and the 2048 textures appeared as they should. (Yes, I deleted the bdp files first with no effect.)

p.s. Well there's usually an explanation for everything. In this case there was a duplicate set of B_25 files in the DR_Engine_Sounds folder (go figure!). Why it messed up only two of the three high rez textures I'll never know. For that matter why should deleting the mos files from the primary location, but not the others be able to fix it?
    Last edited by MajorMagee; June 22nd, 2019 at 12:07.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

I'll have to check those engine sounds too.
    I don't have an answer for your question Andy, but yea CFS3 can be very strange at times!
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

The duplicates were mos or dds? I found that if I was trying to change, in a mos, dds files that had the same name, even if they were in different folders, or often sub folders, mos would stick with the previous dds unless I took them out and on to a completely different location or drive, or changed the names. I suppose I could have changed all the paths to folders which that particular mos file could access; it might have been a better solution.
    In any case I am +ve my installs have several dds files with the same name in some of my installs, even though I have in the past found that they are not identical.

It was a duplicate of the entire B-25 folder with everything for all three models.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Ah right I see.
    BTW, you probably already know this, but I do know that when making a standalone, if there is a mos file present, you have to open that with an Hex editor, and change the main texture name to match the new one. Could that be linked to the problem you had, is it somehow remembering the the older texture, or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo/4 View Post
    Ah right I see.
    BTW, you probably already know this, but I do know that when making a standalone, if there is a mos file present, you have to open that with an Hex editor, and change the main texture name to match the new one. Could that be linked to the problem you had, is it somehow remembering the the older texture, or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
    The stock B-25 set each have their own mos files with the proper naming.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

One thing seems pretty clear that mos files are essential to airfields. Having removed mine I lost all the textures which seem to be only expressed through the mos file(s).

Members who have read this thread: 0