DOSMdlc 2.0 (FS04/02 aircraft to CFS2 converter)

Thread: DOSMdlc 2.0 (FS04/02 aircraft to CFS2 converter)

DOSMdlc 2.0 (FS04/02 aircraft to CFS2 converter)

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Utilities Add-ons

Description: MDLC made to work on Win7 and newer systems with DOSBox 0.74 now included.

The Install and Tutorial will walk you through installing DOSMdlc 2.0 and converting FS2002/FS2004 aircraft to CFS2. While this is meant to help you convert aircraft to CFS2 all other functions of MDLC will work. Useful for those than need to use /a to SCASM edit a model or use /b to convert a model to BGL so it can be imported into Model Converter X.

Please read over the Install_Quick.txt or Install files!!!!! DOSMdlc 2.0 must be installed into your C: drive. Info on how to install to another drive included.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit DOSMdlc 2.0 (FS04/02 aircraft to CFS2 converter)
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Allen,
    Is this an update to the one on your page or is it a stand alone application:

http://thefreeflightsite.com/Allen.htm

I just need to know how to post it.

Dave
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

Do to conflicting info about how DOSbox works I STRONGLY RECOMMEND that any one with test builds of DOSMdlc 2.0 update to this!!!

With the test builds of DOSMdlc 2.0 I used "Mounting the working directory from which DOSBox was started" as shown on the DOSbox Wiki but this seem to run afoul DOSbox own warning and mounted the entire C drive.

DOSbox Warning:
    Mounting your entire C drive is NOT recommended! The same is true for mounting the root of any other drive, except for CD-ROMs (due to their read-only nature). Otherwise if you or DOSBox make a mistake you may lose all your files.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Updated....

See more of Allens' great work here in one easy to find location:

Version 2 MDLC for DOSbox Aircraft convertion Utility for Win7 and above
    Now you can use MDLC on Windows 7 or above
    This tutorial and programs will guide you through the steps
    allowing you to convert FS2002/2004 aircraft for use in CFS2
    using MDLC on Win7 syatems or newer.
    Updated 2-16-18
    Download ****

http://thefreeflightsite.com/Allen.htm
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

Icon22 Reply...

Allen,

Thank you much for all of your efforts, this is a great addition to the CFS2 library!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Thank you Allen. I give it a try when I have some time. Always appreciate your efforts.

msfossey

Sorry for bumping this old message thread, but MANY THANKS for this package, Allen! I've been using it to convert some of the stock FS2K4 aircraft, and it seems to work really well.

One issue that I've noticed though is that the converted models seem to have some sort of translucency to one degree or another. In other words, you can partially see through the outside of the aircraft (fuselage, wings, etc...) to the inside of the model... kind of like the cockpit window/canopy.

I know nothing about the conversion, or MDLC for that matter, but does it have something to do with the "shining" process for the model? Is there any workaround for this?

BTW, I'm running the "DOSBox Convert.bat" batch file.

Thanks in advance

Hello Rich
    Allen did a great job with his DosBox version for MDLC.
    Your transparency problem is cause in FS9, the alpha layer on the DXT3 extended bitmaps is used for more or less glossiness on textures, and in CFS2, this layer is used for transparency, so the fix is to convert, with DxtBmp from Martin Wright the problematic DXT3 textures to DXT1 without alpha.

Best regards

Martin

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Klein View Post
    Your transparency problem is cause in FS9, the alpha layer on the DXT3 extended bitmaps is used for more or less glossiness on textures, and in CFS2, this layer is used for transparency, so the fix is to convert, with DxtBmp from Martin Wright the problematic DXT3 textures to DXT1 without alpha.
    MANY MANY THANKS for that info, Martin! I'll try that ASAP!

It's possible your graphics card won't like the DTX1 with no alpha format. Mine shows it as a weird reversed shading. If that is the case, an alternative using the DtxBmp tool is to open the file and go to the alpha channel box in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Then click on the send to editor arrow (editor being your chosen paint program) and it will open the alpha bitmap. Paint the alpha bitmap completely bright white, save it and click the DtxBmp refresh after edit arrow to import the updated alpha bitmap back into the file. Then save the file as a DTX1 with alpha or a DTX3.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Question

I'm a bit confused here. There are three textures for the stock FS2004 aircraft that I'm converting: "c182_c.bmp" (cockpit textures), "c182_d.bmp" (damage textures), and "c182_t.bmp" (normal textures). The one that is causing the problem is the "c182_t.bmp" (normal textures) one, I'm thinking.

I tried converting the "c182_t.bmp" texture to three different formats using DXTBmp: "DXT1 Opaque", "DXT1 with Alpha", and "DXT3 with Alpha" (of course, the "DXT3 with Alpha" is what the original is (I think), but I went ahead an re-saved the texture with that original format).

Attached are screenshots of the results (and what the original looks like), as well as screenshots of the original "c182_c.bmp"/"c182_d.bmp"/"c182_t.bmp" texture files loaded into DXTBmp.

"Original" and "DXT3 with Alpha" - The original problem that I'm trying to fix, translucent body parts of the aircraft.

"DXT1 Opaque" - Fixes the translucent body parts of the aircraft, but the aircraft windows are totally opaque and white.

"DXT1 with Alpha" - Fixes the translucent body parts of the aircraft, but there are NO aircraft windows <aarrggh>.

I ALSO tried painting the alpha channel image totally white, but the result when saving it as "DXT1 with Alpha" and "DXT3 with Alpha" fixed the translucent body parts of the aircraft, but the aircraft windows were totally opaque and white (like "DXT1 Opaque" mentioned above).

Any more help is GREATLY appreciated This is driving me NUTZ LOL!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c182_c.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	360.8 KB 
ID:	88540Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c182_d.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	385.7 KB 
ID:	88539Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DXT_Original.png 
Size:	560.2 KB 
ID:	88537Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DXT1_Opaque.png 
Size:	490.2 KB 
ID:	88536Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DXT1_with_Alpha.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	534.2 KB 
ID:	88535Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DXT3_with_Alpha.png 
Size:	553.7 KB 
ID:	88534Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c182_t.png 
Size:	371.7 KB 
ID:	88538

Library Staff
    Hi Rich,
    As Martin advised, try this c182_t.bmp converted to DXT1 without alpha. I used Martin Wright's program rather than PSP or Photoshop.
    Kevin
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by kdriver View Post
    Hi Rich,
    As Martin advised, try this c182_t.bmp converted to DXT1 without alpha. I used Martin Wright's program rather than PSP or Photoshop.
    Kevin
    Many thanks for the work and file, but it does the same thing as seen in my "DXT1 Opaque" screenshot above. The translucent textures are fixed (the aircraft's parts are solid), but the windows are also solid/opaque.

Hi Rich,
    You need to leave the alpha for the windowed areas as they are and edit the rest of the alpha to true white, rgb 255,255,255. With the below attachment you can open it up with DXTBmp and export the alpha channel and import it into the rest of the C182 _t textures. I only quickly edited the texture so it may not be 100% perfect, maybe only 99.99%

c182_t.zip

Cheers
    Aussie

Hello Rich

Sorry for my late reaction, I was far from my computer.
    So as said Aussie, you must leave in DXT3 all the windowed parts, I was thinking of the easiest method possible for you to succeed on it, you must for that work with an editor that can jig with layers (photoshop or gimp by example)
    Keep safely an original DXT3 somewhere, convert the texture to fix in DXT1 with alpha, check in the sim if it defines perfectly the areas to leave transparent (in this case it will be invisible). If you are satisfied with the result, save the alpha layer on a new file, call it by example trans_DXT1.psd, you'll have a white picture with black areas, select the color pure white in all the picture.
    Then come back to the original DXT3 texture, copy the alpha layer and paste it to your trans_DXT1.psd, if your selection is not still active, re-activate it, then delete all selected, will stay the transparent parts, in shades of dark grey, you can save it now to trans.bmp, re-integrate it in DxtBmp and save in DXT3.
    Hope that help

Cheers
    Martin

Cool

Many thanks for the info and help, Aussie and Klein!

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    You need to leave the alpha for the windowed areas as they are and edit the rest of the alpha to true white, rgb 255,255,255. With the below attachment you can open it up with DXTBmp and export the alpha channel and import it into the rest of the C182 _t textures. I only quickly edited the texture so it may not be 100% perfect, maybe only 99.99%

c182_t.zip
    A MILLION THANKS FOR THAT!!!! I had a hunch that I needed to do what you did, but I had a heck of a time figuring out were the windows were, in the skin texture as well as the alpha, as well as what the other various components were.

For instance, in my attached picture, what the heck is that blue rectangle in the middle of what appears to be a window? Also, it looks like there is a yoke and the side of a chair in the windows too? Makes no sense to me LOL.

P.S. My next (and last) conversion will be of the Extra 300, but the alpha looks a LOT simpler for that one

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C182_T.jpg 
Size:	242.3 KB 
ID:	88545

P.P.S. Another dumb question: Is there any way to get the exterior navigation and strobe lights working? I'm guessing probably not, as I don't think that CFS2 supports the:

[LIGHTS]
    //Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit
    light.0 = 3, -3.03, -18.11, 3.58, fx_navred
    light.1 = 3, -3.03, 18.11, 3.58, fx_navgre
    light.2 = 3, -21.45, 0.00, 1.95, fx_navwhi
    light.3 = 2, -3.33, -18.31, 3.58, fx_strobe
    light.4 = 2, -3.33, 18.31, 3.58, fx_strobe
    light.5 = 1, -21.52, 0.00, 7.40, fx_beacon

entries in the "Aircraft.cfg" file (even though I copied the *.fx files over to my CFS2 folder).

They DO work for the FS2000 aircraft that I had previously imported eons ago (not only the NAV lights, but the landing and taxi lights as well), but from what I understand those lights are accomplished in the model file for FS2000, and not via *.fx effects files

Hi Rich,
    The blue rectangle bit in the window is the pilots jeans.

Effect lights won't work in CFS2, although I have heard that you can combine them all into a single effects file, but I've never had any luck in doing so. Nav lights can be added in gmax by assigning the name LIGHT_NAVRED etc. to the material name, but not landing lights. They just don't seem to work in CFS2 but if anyone knows a way, please let me know so I can add one to one of my up-and-coming releases. FS2000 models have them but they don't light up the runway.

Cheers
    Aussie

Thanks for the info, Aussie

I was thinking that I could create a DP and add them like that, based on the ship lighting effects mentioned here -> http://www.michael-reimer.com/CFS2/C...s_Effects.html . But, they only seem to work for moving objects added to a mission via the CFS2 Mission Editor.

I guess that the NAV lights are a no-go for the converted FS2002 aircraft, but that's only a minor thing.

Interesting discovery:

I figured I'd try my hand at editing the alpha, just to learn how to do it (as yours looked just fine in CFS2). I edited the alpha of that skin of the aircraft, saved it as a DXT3 With Alpha, and looked at the aircraft in the game. WHITE OPAQUE WINDOWS, AARRGGHH!

I then noticed that in your edited alpha, as well as the original alpha, there is a little (maybe two pixels) dark gray square in the extreme top-right of the alpha image. I also saw it in the original Extra 300 alpha image. I had edited this out of mine that I was testing, making it white like the other non-window parts of the alpha.

I then re-added the little square to the alpha that I was trying out, and then the windows then looked fine.

Got me to thinking:

I created an alpha that was ALL white, with the ONLY part in it being that little dark gray square (see attached image). Tried it out in CFS2, and the aircraft looked PERFECT... the windows were translucent, and the rest of the plane was solid.

Apparently that little dark gray square has some sort of "magical" properties LOL?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alpha.png 
Size:	3.1 KB 
ID:	88548

All of the "glass" is likely mapped to the same UV coordinates on the texture. The UV coordinates are the "magical" square.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Thanks for the info I had a hunch that it was something like that, makes it a lot easier to edit/create the alpha for the converted aircraft.

Nice find, I wonder if that’s the case for other fs planes. The cloud textures use a similar single pixel thing on both the main and alpha textures

Cheers
    Aussie

Members who have read this thread: 3