MaskRider Gilbert Islands - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MaskRider Gilbert Islands

Quote Originally Posted by Worthless View Post
    Ok MR. Thanks for the info as to time frame. I've loaded her up. No problem there. Flown Makin Butaritari Abaiang Marakei Trarawa so far. Was missing a few things at first. JMK_daihatsu and some of Pen32win's stuff from his af_cstdef_pak and af_cstdef2, but soon as I added them all was well. Scenery marvelous. Keep on taking all the poetic licence and artistic licence you want. Frame rates were very good even with all the objects and trees. I'll fly the others tomorrow. Time for me to call it a day.
    I chose not to install them as they would be there and indestructible when I fly missions to attack the islands. It's only 2 error messages to clear and less tonnage in my SHIPS folder (I'm at 90 already). Also, I don't remember seeing them in the downloads readme.

I have flown a similar path and pattern as Worthless - from Makin Butaritari south to Tarawa. The scenery is outstanding! I hope to post some action screenies of combat over some soon.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    I chose not to install them as they would be there and indestructible when I fly missions to attack the islands. It's only 2 error messages to clear and less tonnage in my SHIPS folder (I'm at 90 already). Also, I don't remember seeing them in the downloads readme.

I have flown a similar path and pattern as Worthless - from Makin Butaritari south to Tarawa. The scenery is outstanding! I hope to post some action screenies of combat over some soon.
    I included the layout file for the scenery in case anyone feels the urge to edit-out missing objects and then create a new Gilberts GSL.

Cheers,
    MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Texture Problem

Hi All
    I have just installed the great new Gilbert Is. scenery in my PTO Rhumba install
    I installed PacTex1 in the Scenedb/world/texture folder
    Copied all the Scenedb/world/texture file to the main TEXTURE folder.
    Copied the texture file from the MR Gilbert Is folder into the main TEXTURE folder, without overwriting
    I get this texture problem?
    Maybe like one of the rivers/roads should not be there?

Cheers
    Stuart
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gilbert Texture.jpg  

Icon22

Hiya Stuart,

Yes whats going on is that the stock rivers, roads and shorelines are still present.

The Gilberts scenery is built specifically for the world of Rhumba's mesh and masks. Rhumbas mesh and masks contain no roads, rivers or shorelines.

Back in the olden days when I built G2K scenery to fit the stock install I would always include an exclude bgl to get rid of all the stock lines at whatever location I was building.

Interestingly, the Gilbert scenery will work equally well on a stock or Rhumba-ized set-up so long as line-excludes are included for the stock set-up..

I thought about making such excludes for the Gilberts. But frankly, just didn't feel like it and so decided to just emphasize that the scenery was built for the world of Rhumba.

I tell ya what, I will seriously reconsider making such excludes but can't promise when. Maybe over the weekend but no promises.

We'll see.

I was wondering how long it would be before the issue came up. Thanks for pointing it out! Seriously.

MR

PS: Tell ya what I will do just for the heck of it. I believe those images you posted are screenies of Tabiteuea? I will go ahead and make an exclude for Tabiteuea and send it to you just to make sure it clears up the problem. Am I right guessing you are running a stock CFS2 set up with stock mesh and masks?
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

HI MR
    Thanks for the reply and thanks for all your great work
    It is Tabiteuea, but similar patterns are found at Tarawa (and probably other places as well)
    The install is on old one but it has LOD 7 and 8.
    It still has the pac4a10m files etc (I should remove these)
    It has Rhumbas watermasks cst4a00m etc.
    Do I need Rhumbas watermasks with your scenery?
    Cheers
    Stuart
    Do you have Rami's
    Master PTO airbase.dat
    I can't find it at SOH

So, it sounds as though you are maybe running a bit of a hodge podge? A mix of stock and Rhumba?

I am guessing that all those lines(river, shorelines and roads) that you are seeing are the stock lines? Yes?

My set up has Rhumbas masks and mesh- and no shorelines, rivers or roads at all.

I add all the rivers, shorelines and roads required when I build the scenery.

And yes, if you still have the stock rivers and roads installed and activated then they will show at all locations in the Gilberts scenery pack.

What I do when I make my scenery is start out by erasing all visible land from the build zone.

So there is no need to get rid of Rhumbas water masks because I just dump them anyway at whatever location I am building.

Find attached a small exclude that I just made. It covers the very northerm tip of Tabiteuea. Put it into your MR Gilbert Islands Masks and Excludes\scenery folder and see if it gets rid of the misbehaving lines.

Cheers,
    MR
    Attached Files Attached Files

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Hi MR
    Thanks for that.
    I just went back, got rid of all the old pac4a10m files etc
    Put in the DEM5 mesh.
    And Bob's your Uncle (means all is well, tested two airfields)
    I did not install Rhumbas Watermasks.
    I should have tested your exclude before I wiped out the old pac4a10m files.
    Cheers
    Stuart

Icon22

Sounds good, Stuart!

Glad you got it sorted.

Until later,
    Chris

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Quote Originally Posted by stuart277 View Post
    I just went back, got rid of all the old pac4a10m files etc...I should have tested your exclude before I wiped out the old pac4a10m files.
    I'm missing something here. What are these "pac4a10m files" mentioned and why is their removal important to this installation? I only see one file named specifically as "pac4a10m.bgl" in my SCENEDB\world\scenery folder. The term "pac4a10m files" implies a plural set, yes?

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Library Staff
    The pac????p.bgl files in the SCENEDB\world\scenery folder are meant to be removed if installing Rhumba's water masks.

Rather than getting rid of them, I moved them to Rhumba's coastal flattens folder. When I have to revert to the older non Rhumba water mask scenery configuration, they are instantly available when the coastal flattens are reactivated.

Ok Kevin...thanks for the info. Man this stuff is complicated sometimes ...i should stick to combat

Stuart277: I see a great contrast between the coastal areas and the open sea in your screenshots. I use the stock water textures with the Pactex and it looks more natural. If you want them, I can send them to you.

Cheers:

SW07
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails grab_022.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Icon22 stuart277 question

Hiya Stuart,

I was wondering if you could take a top down screenshot of Kuria or Aranuka island and post it here on this thread?

Thanks.

MR

PS: here is what Kuria should look like- making allowances of course for differing texture installs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kuria-top-down-00.jpg  

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

A few pics. My water is Pacific Blue.

Hi MR
    Here a the screenshots of Kuria and Aranuka.
    Clearly I have a problem.

A lot of the other islands have similar problems.
    Cheers
    Stuart
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kuria Atoll.jpg   Aranuka.jpg  

Icon22

You neglected to either (a) deactivate your other Mask Rider Micronesia scenery folders or else (b) delete the specific scenery files listed here and in the readme.

Also you need to change the runway entries in you airbases.dat file to the new ones included in the scenery pack.

Tsk! Tsk! ;^)

MR

PS You might consider installing the Pacific Blues water texture pack at some point.

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

A few more!

MR.......

.....I have a slight inquiry here. I have everything apparently running right EXCEEEEEEEEEEEPT I seem to have a HUMONGOUS green building on two of the bases that is waaaaaaaaaaay out of scale. The one on Abalang Atoll sits at the end of ,and abutts, the runway. It then continues out over the water at the back.
    The one at Abemama sits at the side of the runway and dominates the scenery.
    Are these left overs or did I pick up a bad d\l somewhere?
    Not having muck luck trying to get a screen shot here. Mainly because I forgot how!

Icon22

Hiya Fibber,

Please post a screenshot!

MR

Ooop... didn't see the bit about forgetting how to do a screeie. Just hit your prt sc key. That will save a shot to the clipboard. Then open some sort of image processor- PaintShopPro or whatever- and go to file\new image from clipboard then save it and send it.

Are you working with a virgin install or could there be leftovers from some other scenery still floating around?

I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the MR Gilberts pack. No reason that it should.

Does it actually look like a building- in other words does it have doors, windows etc.? Or is it just a big old green box?

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

MR....

...thanks for the quick comeback, It is a dedicated theater install that I am using for the PTO. The building looks like a VERRRRRRRRRRY large hanger. About the size that a Big Buff would fit in! Don't know where it comes from as I never saw it before. Doesn't show in any of the other fields. Just these two. Weird!!
    Tried the Print Screen and it is a no go on this old WinXP board. Will try something else, if I can remember it.

MR..........

....here is a screenshot. Not the best angle but shows what it is. You can fit a BUFF in this thing!

Icon22

Thanks Fibber,

Yep. Those are orphans leftover from some other scenery you have installed.

MR

PS: BTW are they static scenery objects (API Macro) or dynamic object- can they be damaged by gunfire?

The reason i ask is that I don't recall any hangars that large that were ever released as dynamic objects. However, Macros can be re-scaled to as big as you want.

Also it appears to be 3 or 4 hangars side by side.

Can they be targeted in MB?

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

MR.......

..tried that. Can't be damaged by gunfire, in fact I can fly right through it. Ironic part is I have never seen this thing before this! Doesn't show up anywhere but on those two bases!

Quote Originally Posted by Fibber View Post
    ..tried that. Can't be damaged by gunfire, in fact I can fly right through it. Ironic part is I have never seen this thing before this! Doesn't show up anywhere but on those two bases!
    When was the last time you went flying around Abemama or Abaiang? Bet its been a while and who knows what sorts of random missions and such have come and gone since then.

Can they be targeted in MB? That would indicate whether they are macros or dynamic objects.

The only other version I ever made of Abemama was an API Macro version. And it definitely did not contain those hangars- I just looked to make sure. Nada.

And this new version most definitely doesn't use them.

MR

PS You might also try deactivating the newly installed MR Gilbert scenery folders and then see if the hangars are still there.
    Last edited by MaskRider; February 23rd, 2019 at 22:55.

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

OK, some feedback please...

With the Rhumba watermasks deactivated, i also eliminated the pac?????.bgl's to clean up the double coastlines at these new locations. Got perfect results wherever these new bases are concerned. However, all other locations that i frequent in FF, QC and missions are now without coastlines, as i anticipated of course.

My question is how do you guys reconcile this tradeoff? Do you have a solution that i'm unaware of or do you just live with it and try to ignore this effect at the affected locations?

Is there a way that i can have my cake and eat it too?

Members who have read this thread: 0