MaskRider Gilbert Islands
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: MaskRider Gilbert Islands

Maskrider:

How is it going with your scenery updates? It has been a while since you've posted any new pics.

Greg
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon22 What the ...??

Hi Guys,

I am trying to upload the Gilberts pack and keep getting an error message informing me that the file is too large for the file type. It is a standard zip file, slightly over 6MB in size.

Was ist los?

MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

MaskRider Gilbert Islands

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Scenery Add-Ons

Description:A nice little collection of airfields located in the Kiribati, Gilbert Islands. The pack includes Makin Island, Butaritari Island, Abaiang Atoll, Marakei Atoll, Tarawa Atoll (2 airfields), Maiana Atoll, Kuria island, Aranuka Island, Abemama Atoll, Nonouti Atoll, Tabituea Atoll (2 airfields), Onotoa Atoll, Tamana Island, Beru Island, Nikunau Island and Arorae Island.

All of the usual credits are included in the readme file however a couple of notable credits deserve mention for the contributions to this scenery in particular.

First let me say a great big thanks you to Kevin Driver for Beta-Testing and helping to develop the scenery bgls to make them more efficient.

Second, Robert Sprackland for coming through with a neat little searchlight scenery object when it was needed. Thank you Robert! Robert's searchlight is included in the scenery pack.

Also, I should mention that I made use of a lot of scenery objects developed by No Dice for his Viet Nam project. I listed all of the included No Dice scenery packs in the readme. I also provided the link at my website and here to the FreeFlightSite webpage where they can be found. Thanks Dave!

BTW, this scenery is meant to be used with Rhumba's mesh.

Hopefully everyone will have as much fun with it as I had making it!

That's about it!

Cheers. MR

PS: BTW here is a link to my Gilberts picture album so everyone can get an idea of what these airfields are supposed to look like.

PS: Just uploaded a slightly modified version. Nothing at all to do with the scenery. Just changed the wording in the mr-gilbert-islands-acs-gps-related-readme file from "Personally I would fly without it!" to "Personally I wouldn’t fly without it!".

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit MaskRider Gilbert Islands
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.
    Last edited by MaskRider; February 16th, 2019 at 09:30.

Icon22

Never mind.

Got it.

MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Icon22

You wouldn't have been trying to upload the 6mb file where the picture should be and vica versa.....???

Cheers

Shessi

p.s Wouldn't be the first time I've tried doing that...dohhh!

Icon22

Yes, that is what I did.

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Okay, I read above that the Gilberts package is being uploaded. I'm gonna grab that when I get home. What's next mate?
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Icon22 Reply...

MaskRider,

Very nice, mate! Looks like I'll have to dust off my Pacific installs again.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Icon22 Slightly modified readmes

These modified readme files have no effect whatsoever on the scenery itself. They just clarify a few syntactic/grammatical issues in the respective readmes.

THE DOWNLOAD CURRENTLY AVAILABLE HERE AT SOH ALREADY CONTAINS THESE UPDATED READMES.

Only the first 5 or 6 downloads contained the unmodified readmes.

No biggie. Just a bit of gravel I needed to shake out of my shoe!

Cheers,
    MR
    Attached Files Attached Files

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Well Chris, after getting all of the Viet objects installed in my PTO setup (added another 51 DP's to my already over-capacity objects_dp folder BTW), i reached a sticky point when i began to look into this part of the readme:

• Avoiding possible scenery conflicts: Deactivate any MR Micronesia (MN) scenery folder you may have installed. These new Gilbert Islands airfields will conflict with quite a few of the airfields in the MR Micronesia pack.

Seems that i have a lot of your old MR_Micronesia_100707 bases which are actually NOT represented by name in the new package. Since there's no obvious conflict with between these and the new names, would these still need to be deactivated?

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by bearcat241 View Post
    Seems that i have a lot of your old MR_Micronesia_100707 bases which are actually NOT represented by name in the new package. Since there's no obvious conflict with between these and the new names, would these still need to be deactivated?
    Hehe,

Hiya BC,

Yes, I guess I should have taken the time and done this already.

Here is a list of all the airfields from that 100707 pack that you should pull and put into a holding folder:

MN_Abemama_Atoll.BGL
    MN_Aranuka_Island.bgl
    MN_Beru_Island.bgl
    MN_Kuria_Island.bgl
    MN_Maiana_Atoll.bgl
    MN_Marake_Atoll.bgl
    MN_Tabiteuea_Atoll_North.bgl
    MN_Tabiteuea_Atoll_South.bgl

Also, remember that these listed airfields from 100707 were built to fit stock masks (and stock mesh, what little there is of it). Pretty sure that the listed airfields were also API macro based- not GSL. Not all of the airfields in 100707 were built to fit stock mesh and masks with API macros instead of GSL. But these particular ones were. This new pack is built specifically to fit Rhumba mesh. There is actually a significant amount of elevation to many of the islands in the Gilberts pack.

I will add the list to the readme- siiiggghh! ;^)

Cheers,
    Chris
    Last edited by MaskRider; February 16th, 2019 at 16:39.

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Thanks for the reply...(wipes brow)

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Icon22

BC,

Check my edited post. It might make it a bit easier.

Chris

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Quote Originally Posted by bearcat241 View Post
    Thanks for the reply...(wipes brow)
    I too wondered about this issue. Thanks MR for the clarification and thank you for the wonderful package.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Looks like I will have to traverse the globe and fast forward more than 20 years. Your Gilbert Islands pack is a definite must have Chris. Off to download it now.

Icon22

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for the great feedback. Find attached mr-gilbert-islands-replacement-readmes-2.zip containing modified readmes specifically listing the files from Micronesia 100707 that need to be removed from the scenery folder and set aside.

It now reads:

• Avoiding possible scenery conflicts: Some airfields in the mr_micronesia_100707 pack will conflict with these new Gilbert Island locations. Pull and set aside the following aifield bgls if you have them installed

MN_Abemama_Atoll.BGL
    MN_Aranuka_Island.bgl
    MN_Beru_Island.bgl
    MN_Kuria_Island.bgl
    MN_Maiana_Atoll.bgl
    MN_Marake_Atoll.bgl
    MN_Tabiteuea_Atoll_North.bgl
    MN_Tabiteuea_Atoll_South.bgl

• And/or you could also deactivate the entire mr_micronesia_100707 folder.
    The gilberts downlaod currently available contains this latest modification to the readme.

Again, thanks for the help. Should have done it to begin with!

• MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

MR: Your install readme says: "4. Drop folders MR Gilbert Islands, MR Gilbert Islands Masks and Excludes and MR Gilbert Islands Water and Landclass into your main CFS2 folder." and not into the SCENEDB folder. Is there a reason for that or just an option? Most addon scenerys in the past called for that SCENEDB location. Just wondering...
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Icon22

HIYA SW07,

Yes, you are correct. There was a time, many scenery packs and years ago, when I used to install the G2K-generated exclude bgls (the ones that make stock roads, shorelines, and rivers disappear) and water mask bgls (the bgls that make the stock land disappear) into the scenedb folder. But I stopped doing it quite a while back because under certain circumstances (the details of which escape me right now) it would cause the sim to crash. So now I keep them out of any of the default "master" CFS2 folders and restrict them only to folders associated directly with a particular scenery area.

There was quite a discussion about it several years ago in a rather lengthy thread.

Cheers,
    MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Huge Thank you , M-R your slave labour of love is truly appreciated,

Icon22

Thanks for all the "Thank-yous" guys.

But don't just be glad-handing me. If anyone is having any issues with this scenery be sure to let me know, here on this thread.

One thing I was thinking of that might ease the pain of installing the required scenery object packs is WRT Do-Dice's Viet Nam object packs. I am pretty sure that the only object packs I actually used objects from are the following:

Dmpiers.zip
    Revetments.zip
    VietBarges.zip
    VietHuts 2.zip
    Viethuts.zip

Hopefully that eases the load a bit? Yes? ;^)

Also, one other thing that might cause an issue. I used the default B24 as a scenery object at Bonriki Airfield, Tarawa. It shouldn't be a issue but it might be.

Let me know and, oh, yeah, I almost forgot- hows about posting a few screenies!

Cheers!
    MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Quote Originally Posted by MaskRider View Post

Also, one other thing that might cause an issue. I used the default B24 as a scenery object at Bonriki Airfield, Tarawa. It shouldn't be a issue but it might be.

Let me know and, oh, yeah, I almost forgot- hows about posting a few screenies!

Cheers!
    MR
    I didn't have my joystick plugged in but I took a few shots of Butaritari on the ground in FF:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails grab_007.jpg   grab_006.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Icon22

Hiya SW.

Thanks for posting the screenies. Its good for me to get to see what everyone's installs looks like. For comparison sake I took these screenshots from my install of Butaritari. The first is a view to the east from the end of the default runway (slightly elevated using slew). then to the north and then to the west.

Cheers,
    MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

I hope soon to be able to show some of those islands/atolls in combat picks, if I can get my MB started in Win 10. Those are some great pics Chris! Here are some from Makin:

Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails grab_016.jpg   grab_019.jpg   grab_018.jpg   grab_017.jpg   grab_014.jpg   grab_015.jpg  

Last edited by Shadow Wolf 07; February 18th, 2019 at 12:21.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Now Hear This! Now Hear This! MaskRider, arriving!

Listen up!

I just realized that I forgot to include in the Gilberts pack a very important scenery object that sits on the beach on Butaritari Island. Namely the Kawanishi Emily Wreck generously donated by Shessi about the same time that he released his excellent Kawanishi Emily package. This wrecked Emily was used by the Japanese as a snipers nest during the battle for Butaritari Island.

It is a stand alone, non-placeable object permanently anchored in the small inlet just south of Kings wharf. You may already have a folder where you install such objects. My suggestion for installing it would be to create a folder either in your main CFS2 folder or else in your SCENEDB folder and name it "Misc Scenery Objects" with a scenery and texture sub-folder. Place the Kawanishi Emily Wreck scenery and texture files in the proper folder and then activate the folder.

This wreck is a key piece of eye candy at Butaritari so don't let it slide! ;^)

I will add it to the download here at SOH and attach it to this post.

That is all. Resume normal in-port daily routine.

MR
    Last edited by MaskRider; February 18th, 2019 at 13:09.

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Icon25

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    I hope soon to be able to show some of those islands/atolls in combat picks, if I can get my MB started in Win 10. Those are some great pics Chris! Here are some from Makin:

Greg
    Greg, could you post a top down view of Makin for me. Something just isn't right.

Here is what it should look like:

Thanks,
    Chris

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Members who have read this thread: 0