Dunkirk Spitfire by Aeroplane Heaven - Video

Thread: Dunkirk Spitfire by Aeroplane Heaven - Video

Dunkirk Spitfire by Aeroplane Heaven - Video

I made this little video for Battle of Britain Enthusiasts using the Aeroplane Heaven 'Dunkirk' Spitfire in FSX-SE flying out of Goodwood Aerodrome. Also there is a sequence using Battle of Britain - Wings of Victory II to get some action in there:

Hope you enjoy!
    The Sky is the Limit
    The ground is just an unfortunate inconvenience!

Fun video Bruce, thanks. What happened to your bent prop effect on the beach landing? BTW you have to unlock the primer to use it. You use the silver primer valve handle alongside.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    Fun video Bruce, thanks. What happened to your bent prop effect on the beach landing? BTW you have to unlock the primer to use it. You use the silver primer valve handle alongside.
    Bent prop - good question. I suspect that either it was due to landing on sand or because I mistakenly purchased the FSX version rather than the Steam version (I have FSX-SE).

Primer - Aahh! I will try that. I read the manual three times to try and figure that out but couldn't find anything. Also the mixture animation is not linked to the mixture control in my version - very confusing!

Thanks for the heads up and the comments.

Glad you liked it!
    The Sky is the Limit

The prop effect is on all versions, irrespective of simulator. The Spitfire Mk1 only has two positions for mixture control - auto-lean and auto rich. In the real aircraft, the throttle and mixture are linked to ensure correct mixture at all throttle settings. It's why with the Dunkirk Spitfire, auto-mixture is always used.

Thanks for the pointers but after more testing I am sure I have the wrong version for my simulator. It is my mistake - I should have checked Steam first.

The version used in this video is the Mk Ia and in my sim there is no hand appearing over the primer whether I flip the silver switch or not and whether or not Auto Mixture is on or off the mixture animation does not occur though the mixture functions. In the Mk I the hand appears over the primer if I flip the silver switch (which is labled Carb heat) but the primer still does not function. Also the landing gear will go up in the animation but when I try to belly land there are invisible wheels and I land on those! In the Mk Ia the bent prop is not present regardless of where I land.

I'm not too worried as I paid less than £10 in the sale at Xmas and it looks pretty good and functions well - its just niggles.

(The only slight annoyance is that where I bought it they say it is compatible with Steam.)
    The Sky is the Limit

Again, another well done video.
    Thought about suggesting use of the "CC" mode for youtube to hear all the mumbling but looks sounds like you found the mike volume

Can't wait for yet another of your video renditions...maybe an episode of Twelve O' Clock high - or... hey, how 'bout The Blue Max. I could be you agent Just kidding (about the agent)

The Dam Busters would be good also, if you can animate a bouncing Betty from a Lancaster. You could emulate Wing Commander's Guy Gibson (Richard Todd) squadron mission: To drop
    sensitive weapons on Germany's Rhur dams. The possibilities abound.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Again, another well done video.
    Thought about suggesting use of the "CC" mode for youtube to hear all the mumbling but looks sounds like you found the mike volume

Can't wait for yet another of your video renditions...maybe an episode of Twelve O' Clock high - or... hey, how 'bout The Blue Max. I could be you agent Just kidding (about the agent)

The Dam Busters would be good also, if you can animate a bouncing Betty from a Lancaster. You could emulate Wing Commander's Guy Gibson (Richard Todd) squadron mission: To drop
    sensitive weapons on Germany's Rhur dams. The possibilities abound.

(trim)
    Thanks!

Your comment above in red started me thinking...

I have a couple different bouncing bombs on my hard drive - one for CFS2 and one for Il-2. And there is the new Lancaster at Just Flight....

I even have a dam somwhere...

Once upon a time I took these screen shots:

I will do some thinking....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dam Busters 3.jpg   Dam Buster 1.jpg  
    The Sky is the Limit

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce66 View Post
    Thanks!

Your comment above in red started me thinking...

I have a couple different bouncing bombs on my hard drive - one for CFS2 and one for Il-2. And there is the new Lancaster at Just Flight....

I even have a dam somwhere...I know I can't give one

Once upon a time I took these screen shots:

I will do some thinking....
    Wow, I didn't know you already had some of the key elements already. Well, I'll bet I got you engaged in the next video, if you make a dam buster one, mention me when you roll the credits
    at the end.... Only kidding.

IF I can get it to work (and there may be some quality issues...much research needed) I will start a new playlist called Grey Eagle's Challenges!

This is how the Doug's Challenges started. Although I'll admit those challenges carry fewer technical hurdles.

For this I have UTX Europe but I would need to turn off night lighting. I would need to find airport scenery to suit. I would need to buy the Lancaster I think, but there is no model for the Dambuster so I will need to research the number of cockpit and crew modifications they made for the bouncing bomb to see if the new one is suitable. Alternatively I have the CFS2 version but I will have to check the quality.

If those issues are sorted I still have to FLY the whole distance at between 50 and 100 feet the whole way and hold 60 feet under fire to drop the bomb!

No small challenge!!!
    The Sky is the Limit

It occurs to me that there was an episode of Ice Pilots NWT in conjunction with Channel 4 in the UK (I think) where they used a DC-4 to carry a similar bouncing bomb.

Would that concept meet with your approval Grey Eagle?
    The Sky is the Limit

IF I can get it to work (and there may be some quality issues...much research needed) I will start a new playlist called Grey Eagle's Challenges!

This is how the Doug's Challenges started. Although I'll admit those challenges carry fewer technical hurdles.

For this I have UTX Europe but I would need to turn off night lighting. I would need to find airport scenery to suit. I would need to buy the Lancaster I think, but there is no model for the Dambuster so I will need to research the number of cockpit and crew modifications they made for the bouncing bomb to see if the new one is suitable. Alternatively I have the CFS2 version but I will have to check the quality.

If those issues are sorted I still have to FLY the whole distance at between 50 and 100 feet the whole way and hold 60 feet under fire to drop the bomb!

No small challenge!!!

Bruce, our old Lancaster series has a Dambuster and a Tallboy version in the Special Ops package. I believe it is all still available from Just Flight. The Dambuster model is equipped with a droppable bouncing bomb and downward searchlights correctly angled to converge at 60 ft.

It occurs to me that there was an episode of Ice Pilots NWT in conjunction with Channel 4 in the UK (I think) where they used a DC-4 to carry a similar bouncing bomb.

Would that concept meet with your approval Grey Eagle?
    You mean this one?

I've watched episodes of Ice Pilots on this side of the pond as well; That might be a smashing idea.

Last couple of your flicks had some nice background music; I would be curious as to what kind of
    background music you would use in this video or if any at all? If you have the type aircraft ice pilots used then your all set!
    Last edited by gray eagle; February 17th, 2019 at 04:11.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    Bruce, our old Lancaster series has a Dambuster and a Tallboy version in the Special Ops package. I believe it is all still available from Just Flight. The Dambuster model is equipped with a droppable bouncing bomb and downward searchlights correctly angled to converge at 60 ft.
    I think that is the one I have - made for CFS2 and FS 2002 - has the bouncing bomb, tallboy and even a Mosquito. Mine is from Just Flight. Its been a while since I looked at it though so I'm not sure how the graphics hold up to today's standards.

I have seen a Lancaster version for 2004 as well but I dont have that version of FS.

I was tempted by the new Lancaster but, as people may have noticed, I am not the best pilot and four engines tax my ability to nearly disatrous lengths!

Hmmmm....still thinking.....
    The Sky is the Limit

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    You mean this one?

That was the one

I've watched episodes of Ice Pilots on this side of the pond as well; That might be a smashing idea.

Last couple of your flicks had some nice background music; I would be curious as to what kind of
    background music you would use in this video or if any at all? If you have the type aircraft ice pilots used then your all set!
    I do indeed have the plane they used but of course it does not have the bomb. But I have a fertile imagination......
    The Sky is the Limit

I do indeed have the plane they used but of course it does not have the bomb. But I have a fertile imagination......
    This ought to be good! I can only imagine....

Members who have read this thread: 0