DCS F-16C Fighting Falcon - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: DCS F-16C Fighting Falcon

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom88 View Post
    If that video doesn't get your blood moving, you're probably dead.....

Great video! Already pre-ordered and awaiting time to try her out.
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by strykerpsg View Post
    If that video doesn't get your blood moving, you're probably dead.....

Great video! Already pre-ordered and awaiting time to try her out.
    Haha!!! I know what you're saying This one actually really moved me.....Brought back great memories of Jane's USAF intro

Patrick

Jane's USAF intro

***Incoming***

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 72268627_10162520099160341_1222936236105138176_n.jpg  

Patrick

Haha!! Yea....It's been over 10 yrs since I flew Falcon 4.0.....Somehow I don't think my Viper landings will be as forgiving than what I get away with in The Hornet
    Just finished my first flight in it. Regarding the approach and landings, it's a piece of cake! Easily the most forgiving aircraft on approach and landing I have flown in DCS. When you're established on final and in the proper AoA and speed range, it doesn't take much throttle adjustment to keep it where it needs to be and only a tiny amount of flare. I greased it on my first landing and all others. It tracks straight as an arrow on the ground at varying speeds. It's is also the easiest to taxi of any model I have installed. As for my first impressions, it is very nice even in this early access level and you can tell it is in this early stage just like we did with the Hornet. Some points I will make regarding the flight model. It is very solid and crisp in handling but it contrasts with the Hornet a good bit which likely translates to the documented differences between the handling in the actual aircraft. I know guys who flew each aircraft and in once case, one of those pilots were qualified in both and I heard about the handling differences. Just like the Hornet's initial release, I take note that there is some slight areas of the flight dynamics that will get tuned over time. I did find out one thing, it appears the flight dynamics are pretty well tuned to mirror (as much as possible) the automatic trim and damping. I usually set all my modules flight control fine tuning curves to +25 and the dead zone to 5%. With this module, I set the curve to flat (default) and the dead zone to 0 except the rudder which I always leave that curve as default and the dead zone to 5%. I have yet to tweak other controls. Otherwise, she's a beauty and over the rest of the development I am certain we're going to have a lot of fun just as we have with the Hornet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Agree about landings, 1st flight in the books and I almost forgot it's still EA/WIP as it looks complete until you start going deep into the DED menus. Read about the AB detent on/off and still never got 100% throttle, nor did the Tacan seem to be working.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

It seems that the F-16 is only available in the open beta version. I had stuck with the stable one so far but this is definitely a reason to update.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    It seems that the F-16 is only available in the open beta version. I had stuck with the stable one so far but this is definitely a reason to update.
    Hello Dimus,This is a fantastic Utility that let's you switch between DCS Open Beta and Stable with ease.
    https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053

Patrick

Thanks! That indeed looks very handy.

Hello Dimus,This is a fantastic Utility that let's you switch between DCS Open Beta and Stable with ease.
    https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053
    Phantom / All - That is an interesting looking utility and the first utility / add-on (other than the user supported A-4) I've seen for DCS. I'm going to start a thread about "free" / user supported add-ons and utilities for DCS. The other thing I have problems with is simply doing things in DCS that are "already knowns" in P3D / FSX like simply changing munitions, etc., etc. I'm kind of a dope when it comes to that. Is that an easy thing to accomplish?
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Excellent Idea Jay...and long overdo

Patrick

rvn817j,

LALT+'

This brings up the armament menu for fueling and arming or rearming with munitions. It can only be done on the ground with WoW. For some FC3 aircraft like the Eagle, your engines must be off and the Battery off as well. This is the same key command for every module. Not just Viper. This is also the place you can change your aircraft paint scheme from the drop down as long as the paint is part of the country you set the aircraft to in the mission editor matches the countries listed in the paints' description.lua file.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

This must be the easiest jet to fly and land on any sim. Feels like on rails on approach. I wonder if the real one is like that.

This must be the easiest jet to fly and land on any sim. Feels like on rails on approach. I wonder if the real one is like that.
    Yes, even the YF-16's were super stable. Original YF-16/F-16A Test pilots Phil Oestricher and Neil Anderson noted how they could set the aircraft in a given direction and the auto-trim kept it right where they wanted while other aircraft tended to meander off one direction or another. One of the two long time F-16 pilots I know told me that any competent pilot could fly an F-16 in terms of standard rate turns, climbs descents, takeoffs and landings with minimal training. Of course the High G envelope, that's another story.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Not that it was difficult or uncontrollable for me, but I did notice my first (and only so far) final approach was a bit wonky. I had my wings rocking a bit, but I may have been too slow. It felt like it was losing control like a plane does as it approaches stall. That being said I landed it no problem and my first flight was just fun. I tried to get it over mach 2, but no chance with the loadout in the taxi and takeoff training mission. I was doing mach 1 about 50 feet off the deck though - that was fun.

Did anyone notice any performance issues with the F-16? Doing the taxi and takeoff mission, in VR like usual, I just noticed some slight stuttering when looking left or right. Mind you I was doing mach 1+ close to the ground, but I haven't really noticed that stuttering for a long time, especially since I got my new system (i9-9900k, RTX 2080Ti). I did notice there were a lot of AI aircraft flying around in that training mission though, so maybe something wasn't optimized.

The modelling of the F-16 is amazing though. I actually spent about 5 minutes just looking at the seat cover and chuckling to myself . Seriously, if you haven't yet, check out the seat cover. Even tiny little tufts of fur/wool are sticking out on the edges and there are some specks of dirt ( or dandruff?) and a stray hair, it is just amazing modelling and texturing.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Currently Fuel Flow and power output need to be improved. They are currently inaccurate. Fuel Flow needs to be increased by about ~60% currently I can only achieve ~24K PPH, and the GE 129 should be in the almost 60K PPH range. According to a Viper driver friend of mine. At SL of course.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Another area that needs to be tweaked in the flight model is the ability to sustain G's within or below the corner velocity tables. At present, the clean version will not sustain at or near Max G holding the speeds where it should for that G level. I am guessing the drag tables at higher AoA are off a bit but the lift/G vector may be as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goluWOE3q74

That being noted, something else that has needed adjustment in DCS for some time is the G strain/blackout threshold. It's simply set too low in general and especially for the aircraft where both the Anti-G Suit and G Strain averages would give the pilot more than enough ability to stay above the G curve during such a turn.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Currently Fuel Flow and power output need to be improved. They are currently inaccurate. Fuel Flow needs to be increased by about ~60% currently I can only achieve ~24K PPH, and the GE 129 should be in the almost 60K PPH range. According to a Viper driver friend of mine. At SL of course.

Victory103 said above that he couldn't achieve 100% throttle, so that may be why max. fuel flow can't be achieved.

Another thing I noticed in my first run around was that the onspeed AoA indicator seemed to be lit up the whole flight despite gear and flaps (supposedly) being up. That should only be active in landing configuration shouldn't it?
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Something interesting to note is that while the F-16 can achieve higher turn rates than the F-15, they are almost a match and in some realms the F-15 is superior when it comes to sustaining turn rate.
    -JB

Scott I can achieve 100% and more RPM. That isn't an issue for me. Sounds like he's got a joystick issue.

A blk 50 F-16C with F110-GE-129 engine and above 400 kits can accelerate under 9g radial. EDIT: Below 10K feet and over 440.
    Last edited by Mach3DS; October 8th, 2019 at 09:32.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

I'm still checking bindings, but my TM Hawg works fine in all other modules so probably some tweaking on my end. I flew it day 1, left for a trip and come back to all the issues now that the EA masses have had a chance to wring the Viper out. I see repaints already coming in.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

***Big Update for Viper*** In Open Beta Today***

DCS: F-16C Viper
    • Master Caution should be clearable as expected
    • RWR and other sounds now properly installed for Viper (sounds still placeholders)
    • Adjusted HUD visibility over cockpit geometry.
    • Engine control switch animation through guard is fixed .
    • Fixed unlimited weapon rearming.
    • EHSI font corrected, NO DATA page added.
    • CARA indication for high altitude fixed.
    • Oxygen emergency lever clickability and input fixed.
    • Oxygen flow indicator fixed.
    • Audio for radio communications identifying players aircraft fixed.
    • External sound update.
    • Loop in DED TILS ILS freq fixed.
    • AOA indexer lights logic fixed.
    • AOA bracket will appear on HUD after lowering nose landing gear, fixed.
    • Changed PROBE HEAT to spring loaded TEST.
    • Added RU localization for Viper startup.
    • IFF HUD data overlapped / fuzzy - fixed.
    • Inconsistent response from ground crew with canopy closed - fixed.
    • AAR with cold start fixed.
    • Cockpit. Lighting textures tuned. Console panels textures updated (text readability improved).
    • CCIP line will point in TVV sign center point.
    • Default frequency on UHF backup panel fixed.
    • Speedbrake sound dynamics update.
    • UHF backup panel: status function fixed.
    • Radio frequencies increments fixed.
    • Flashlight fixed.
    • Fixed switching between CCRP-CCIP if you use last bomb with CCRP.
    • Waypoints on FCR and HSI misaligned - fixed.
    • ILS CMD STRG disables if ILS power removed, fixed.
    • Added damage of some elements WIP.

Patrick

One note: after the update, if you created a mission with the wing pylons removed (clean airshow or aggressor config), you will see missile launch rails floating suspended below where the pylons were. Hopefully they will get that fixed soon.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Members who have read this thread: 2