DCS F-16C Fighting Falcon - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: DCS F-16C Fighting Falcon

Quote Originally Posted by scotth6 View Post
    If you're looking at the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog I can vouch that it is well worth the expense. It is a large initial outlay, but the quality is superb, and the functionality is also excellent. You should not need to buy a new controller for many, many years. It is awesome having a replica of the Warthog's controls when you are flying the Warthog, and I just recently read that the F-16 stick and the Warthog stick are actually the same.
    The problem with the Warthog HOTAS (and the Cougar, still a few on eBay - I remember when it first came out, how I drooled over one...) is that I don't have space for rudder pedals and hate those rocker switches on the throttle. I vastly prefer a twist-axis for my rudder inputs (Like my Sidewinder FFB Pro).

I'm looking into the Logitech x56 - but the few reviews I can find say it's build quality isn't nearly good enough. -sigh-

So, honestly, I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

***New Viper Pictures Up***

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen_190627_173437-1920.jpg   Screen_190627_174744-1920.jpg   Screen_190627_172852-1920.jpg   vlcsnap-2019-06-27-1920.jpg  

Patrick

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen_190627_174744-1920.jpg   65698072_10162109636635341_8909535795828752384_o.jpg  

Patrick

***Viper Trailer***

Patrick

Just watched this Viper preview vid on Youtube. Here's the comment I left:

"Daaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmnnnnnnnn! I was holding off on getting the Viper as I have not spent much time in the Hornet or the Tomcat, or many of the other DCS aircraft I own, or not enough time anyway. You guys are making that REALLY hard. Looks awesome!............5 minutes later........You bastards! Now I've gone and bought it."

Cost me near $100 bucks despite the pre pay discount ($96 AUD). Stoopid exchange rate. Still, I know it will be good.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Nice....I will buy it, but I'm not giving anyone anymore interest free loans. Been burned too many times. I think that feeding the Monster that is "Pre-order" and "early access" is the ROOT CAUSE of the non-sense that goes on with ED over thier modules not every reaching a "feature complete" state. I mean the Hornet is still "Early Access" we still don't have TWS or Ground Radar, or a TGP. I will of course purchase the Viper, but not until it's complete. once I do, I'll have to be peeled out of it! LOL....but I really think they need to do right by their customers and finish the hornet before the release the Viper. My current prediction is that the viper will be released PRIOR to us getting TWS in the hornet. I hope I'm dead wrong. TWS is a main feature of the hornet radar, now that we're 1.5 years down the road from the start of "Early Access" -- I'm
    Hoping the Viper Early Access will be much faster.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

That is true in a sense Rick, but at least ED are working fairly constantly on updates and releasing them as they go. I have bought a few pre orders via DCS now, and although I have been generally against the idea in the past, I have never seen or had an issue as far as ED/DCS are concerned. I am always confident I will get what I have paid for, even if it is not 100% feature complete. For me it's not an issue, because it gives me longer to learn all the systems before they release the next ones. I believe I bought the Mirage pre order, and that may have been the first one. Razbam recently announced a whole heap of features they are releasing for the Mirage soon, and if I am honest, I didn't know any of them were missing. Too many modules and not enough time to learn everything about them.

I really need to stop buying modules and start concentrating on what I have. The problem for me is I will jump in one module, ATM the Hornet, and just fly that for the next 6-12 months, so the others just sit idle. It's good to have the choice of so many modules, but it's not good for my pocket .
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

I'm actually a hypocrite, because I pre-ordered the Tomcat and Hornet....after I swore I wouldn't do it again...so I may not be able to stand it with Viper either...but I really wish ED would hurry up and dedicate the needed resources to finishing the TWS. Ground radar....meh....it's almost never used IRL.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

**From Wags via FB
    page**

"
    Hey everyone, Viper update day!As most of you have probably already discovered, this week we released the first cinematic trailer for the Viper. Cato did a fantastic job as always, and the trailer brings across the just how fun this aircraft will be. Flying the DCS: F-16C Viper is great on a 2D monitor, but it really shines in VR."

Patrick

I'm not saying what I did. Watching the F-22 demo at OSH on Thursday was fantastic...but so was that F-16 video!
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

I jumped on Early Access Pre-Order myself today. Been using one form or another of F-16 sim for ages, mainly Falcon 3.0 & 4.0 in the old days. This will certainly be the pinnacle of PC based Flight Sim F-16's for some time to come. It's going to be a blast!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

***Viper Update***

"
    DCS: F-16C Viper Update
    As we draw closer to the early autumn 2019 early access release of the Viper, progress has been rapid. You can find a list of our planned early access features here.

Our viper is already dropping bombs in CCIP and CCRP modes and strafing targets, and the navigation systems, flight model, and art is quite far along. The current focus is on rockets, air-to-air weapons and radar, the landing gear and underside of the aircraft, and tuning the flight model.

Next week we will start regular instruction videos. The first will be a cockpit orientation, and following that will be taxi and takeoff, waypoint navigation, VFR landings, and then unguided bomb attack."

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Viper20190823_1.jpg   Viper20190823_2.jpg   Viper20190823_3.jpg   Viper20190823_4.jpg   Viper20190823_5.jpg  

Patrick

Integrated VOIP Radio Comms!!!!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Last edited by Phantom88; September 7th, 2019 at 08:28. Reason: Embed link

Patrick

​Cockpit at Night WIP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen_190910_171958.jpg  

Patrick

This aircraft looks awfully good. Will we see an Alpha (or is it Beta) release soon? Anything that gets it in to my hands....I'm READY (not that I don't already have too many planes on which I'm not fully checked out)! Come on, give it to me.
    Jay
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Yes, my personal guess is about 3 weeks until it enters Early Access. The official statement is that it will enter EA in "Early Autumn". But with all the video activity, it seems that this might be ready almost for the very start of Autumn. I personally have been thinking they've been delaying it since the TWS is not complete on the Hornet yet, and they SWORE UP AND DOWN, that the TWS would be complete prior to Viper EA. So if you want to save $16 you can buy it now in Pre-order. It's so close that it doesn't really mater anymore. Autumn is one week away.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by scotth6 View Post
    If you're looking at the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog I can vouch that it is well worth the expense. It is a large initial outlay, but the quality is superb, and the functionality is also excellent. You should not need to buy a new controller for many, many years. It is awesome having a replica of the Warthog's controls when you are flying the Warthog, and I just recently read that the F-16 stick and the Warthog stick are actually the same.
    What is a good ballpark price for the TM Warthhog HOTAS?

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

Quote Originally Posted by Odie View Post
    What is a good ballpark price for the TM Warthhog HOTAS?
    I just checked and was surprised to see that Amazon and Newegg are both about $450. I purchased mine form Newegg 8 months ago and stick / throttle were a little north of $350.

I will also now admit I did EA on the F-16!
    Jay

I just checked my emails and I was surprised to see I paid $490 AUD for my HOTAS Warthog (plus $25 delivery) back in 2015. Just doing a search now shows the Australian prices anywhere between $600 and $950 AUD! It's one of those items you need to hunt around for as the prices are spread over a wide range and occassionally you will see them discounted a bit. I saw one in Australia a few weeks ago going for about $550 AUD but I can't recall the website now. I remember they had a deal on the TrackIR.

Having thought about it, the price in the U.S. might be currently impacted by the trade dispute with China. (My wife and I were also seeing some increased pricing on Amazon.) Maybe it's time to wait on hardware purchases until the matter is resolved.

P.S. Checked my HOTAS Order 12/2018 at $375. Something has surely impacted U.S. pricing.
    Jay

Members who have read this thread: 2