GD Sikorsky S-42B UT complete and lite packages!

Thread: GD Sikorsky S-42B UT complete and lite packages!

Icon22 GD Sikorsky S-42B UT complete and lite packages!

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - American

Description: George Diemer Sikorsky S-42B Clipper by UncleTgt

This is a conversion of George Diemer's Sikorsky S-42B Clipper for CFS 2. Due to the complex nature of the revision this is uploaded as a complete aircraft, but the design credits lie with all of the various creators, mainly George Diemer.

The original model has been converted for use in CFS 2, with g_lightstates & crashchecks removed, so will work in both Free Flight and Quick Combat.

A new airfile has been developed, & the dp file also has been developed with more visible damage effects. The textures have been redrawn, depicting NC-16735, Hong Kong Clipper II, as she might have appeared during the last days before her destruction by Japanese bombing in Hong Kong harbor, 8th December 1941. Both weathered & clean versions of this texture are supplied.

The 2D panel bitmap is brand new and has been made WIN 7+ friendly. There are some customised fixed window views to enjoy! Unfortunately I was unable to get the VC gauges to show.

Sounds are included. They are a tweaked version of Willy McCoy's DC-4 sounds for FS2004(to include some waterloop sound effects). The DC-4 sounds are themselves derived from Trev Morson's DC-3 soundfiles for FS2004.

The dp file makes use of kelticheart's exhaust effects, & the prop disk textures are also based on his pioneering work.

Water Spray effects are also included. These are a tweaked version of one of Bill Kestell's excellent waterspray effects, repositioned to fit the S-42 hull & floats & renamed.

To install, unzip the download to a temporary location & move/ copy files to the matching folder names inside your chosen CFS 2 install.

Thanks to: George Diemer for a great aircraft.

Allen for the inspiration for the fixed window views.

Allen for his DOSmdlc_2, making shine & mdl size changes possible in WIN7+.

Martin Wright for so many useful tools, in this case in particular MDLmat allowing aircraft model material transparency & colour changes.

Kelticheart for his exhaust effects, & inspiration for the propeller bitmaps.

Trev Morson & Willy McCoy for the sound files.

This is freeware and subject to the usual conditions.

UncleTgt,

FEB 2019

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit GD Sikorsky S-42B UT complete.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

GD Sikorsky S-42B UT lite.zip

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - American

Description: George Diemer Sikorsky S-42B Clipper by UncleTgt

This is a conversion of George Diemer's Sikorsky S-42B Clipper for CFS 2. Due to the complex nature of the revision this is uploaded as a complete aircraft, but the design credits lie with all of the various creators, mainly George Diemer.

The original model has been converted for use in CFS 2, with g_lightstates & crashchecks removed, so will work in both Free Flight and Quick Combat.

A new airfile has been developed, & the dp file also has been developed with more visible damage effects. The textures have been redrawn, depicting NC-16735, Hong Kong Clipper II, as she might have appeared during the last days before her destruction by Japanese bombing in Hong Kong harbour, 8th December 1941. Weathered & clean versions of this texture are supplied.

The 2D panel bitmap is brand new and has been made WIN 7+ friendly. There are some customized fixed window views to enjoy! Unfortunately I couldn't get the VC gauges to show.

Sounds are not included, instead being aliased to the stock B24D Liberator. This is to keep the size of the download manageable.

The dp file makes use of kelticheart's exhaust effects.

Water Spray effects are also included. These are a tweaked version of one of Bill Kestell's excellent waterspray effects, re-positioned to fit the S-42 hull & floats & renamed.

To install, unzip the download to a temporary location & move/ copy files to the matching folder names inside your chosen CFS 2 install.

Thanks to: George Diemer for a great aircraft.

Allen for the inspiration for the fixed window views.

Allen for his DOSmdlc_2, making shine & mdl size changes possible in WIN7+.

Martin Wright for so many useful tools, in this case in particular MDLmat allowing aircraft model material transparency & colour changes.

Kelticheart for his exhaust effects, & inspiration for the propeller bitmaps

This is freeware and subject to the usual conditions.

UncleTgt,

FEB 2019

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit GD Sikorsky S-42B UT lite.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Reply...

UncleTgt and team,

Thank you so much for all of your work on this, yet another fascinating aircraft to play with in CFS2!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Floatplane/ Amphibian first take-off issue

I forgot to put this in the Readme: Upload notes have been updated.

NOTE: Unfortunately George modelled this aircraft as an amphibian. If you start your first flight from water it will leap into the air. If you start from a land runway, you can take-off (ahistorical I know), retract the undercarriage & then all subsequent landings & take-offs can be from water without issue.

Hi John,
    Very nice pack. Good looking bird. You know how I love a flying boat!

Many thanks for putting it together.

Cheers

Shessi

Terrific addition for any 1930's setup. Beautiful.

Incidentally some aviation historians have said that the Japanese "acquired" plans for this plane and copied most of it for their for their H6k5 "Mavis" flying boat.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

That is one beautiful bird.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Beasty beautiful yes...

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Great work Uncle. I've wanted one of these for a long time. Many thanks.

Beeeutiful. Thanks. Maybe I will take her off from Wake and land again. 9800 ft( ?) runway should work.

Icon22 Reply...

John,

Very nice job! Just before touchdown...
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Thank you UncleTgt. Been flying for a few hours now and really enjoying it. It's a beatiful model.

msfossey

Hi UncleTgt
    What a great looking aircraft.
    I did read that this airplane was used by the Japanese to develop the the H6K5, but this is the first time that I have seen this airplane.
    Awesome work.
    Thanks again.
    Cheers
    Stuart

Looks nice and thanks for the mention. Need to get DOSmdlc_2.0 done a uploaded. I think I have 2 or 3 versions that have things I need to combine by now. LoL!
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    I forgot to put this in the Readme: Upload notes have been updated.

NOTE: Unfortunately George modelled this aircraft as an amphibian. If you start your first flight from water it will leap into the air. If you start from a land runway, you can take-off (ahistorical I know), retract the undercarriage & then all subsequent landings & take-offs can be from water without issue.
    Hi UncleTgt,

If you create a entry in the airbases.dat file for a water runway you can chose it to take off from.

Regards,
    B24Guy

In this weather , makes me want to go Island hopping in the Pacific , Thanks Uncle

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon22

Over Arorae Island, Gilberts.

Thanks UT

MR

Last edited by MaskRider; February 17th, 2019 at 15:09.
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Members who have read this thread: 1