Generic GCA uploaded to SOH Library - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Generic GCA uploaded to SOH Library

Is there a way in P3D to send the aircraft sounds to the speaker and the GCA-voices to my headset?
    Roy

Maybe! Sounds like an excellent idea. Can't try it out myself, but Doug Dawson offers a SoundConfiguration file here https://www.douglassdawson.ca/

The readme states this:

Application: DSD_SoundConfiguration.exe

Use this utility to set the DirectSound devices which will be used to play sounds from gauges or other modules based on my sound libraries or gauges released after June 1, 2011. By default, these sounds will be played using the Windows default sound and default voice devices.
    For most users, this should be sufficient. If it is not, you can use the utility to select the devices you want. It will enumerate all the DirectSound devices on your system and present drop down lists of the devices. It will write the choices you make into a configuration file: %APPDATA%\dsd_sound\sound.cfg. On my Win7 system, that works out to:

C:\Users\Doug Dawson\AppData\Roaming\dsd_sound\sound.cfg

You can delete this file (and the containing folder) at any time. If you do, the sounds will again be played from the Windows default devices.
    Sounds just right, but not 100 percent certain if that's all there is to it ... Please let us know if you can make it work.

In other news, Tom Gibson and I have successfully ported the GCA modules back to FS9 and in the process made some corrections. We are also exploring ways to let the user determine the intercept distance (making it shorter or longer than the current 8-mile default). Will keep posted...

Thanks Manfred. I tried it by placing the following instructions in the sound.cfg:

[DEVICE]
    PrimaryDevice={7109e620-ac2c-4fc9-8da1-f8d82dee67f5}
    VoiceDevice={7109e620-ac2c-4fc9-8da1-f8d82dee67f5}

That is my headset. The result: engines via the speakers, Checklists and GCA via headset. But also the cockpitsounds and that's not something you want. If there were sound.cfg fot the different groups of sounds it may work well, but not now.
    Roy

Ah, that's a pity, sorry about that. Perhaps we can ask Doug for help. What about the Sound options in P3D itself?

I’ve already tried that, but no joy.
    Roy

Roy, would you be willing to try again, this time using a small code modification? In GCA\APC.xml, right at the beginning of the code, find the line

Code:
    <Macro Name="play">1 (>L:@1, number) 0 (>L:paused, enum) </Macro>
    and change to:

Code:
    <Macro Name="play">11 (>L:@1, number) 1 (>L:@1, number) 0 (>L:paused, enum) </Macro>

This supposedly plays the sounds from Windows' sound device. If it does the trick please carefully check if there are any side effects, such as slowed-down gauge reaction, frame rate drop, anything unusual.

If okay then also edit that same Macro in PAR.xml.

Very interested to hear what you find!!

--Manfred

Yes, it's three steps back to the future! Rick Piper's FS2002 Varsity flying a GCA approach in FS9!! Sorry, guys, couldn't resist...

No Luck, Manfred, it does not work. But as it is I still very much enjoy this GCA.
    Roy

This is truly a great addon. Cannot thank you enough.

PMDG DC-6A approaching in heavy rain at Faleolo in Samoa.

steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019-3-5_11-0-13-425.jpg  

Thanks, looking good and exciting. Glad to see it working on the PMDG 6. The only plane so far that won't play along is the A2A Connie due to a sound conflict, apparently.

We are working on a FS9-compatible V2 with some improved functionality. Will post here when it's ready.

Hi !

I just downloaded this GCA gauge and trying to install in the Douglas C-117D V3 with the MVC, hence the 'panel.modern' file.

The instructions say :
    'If your plane's panel folder is not called "panel" but, say, "panel.modern", you need to
    run a search-and-replace on the lines in file gcacalls.ini in folder GCA in order to set
    the correct path to the .wav files.'

Can someone tell me where the 'gcacalls.ini' is located as I can't see anything in the GCA folder with that specific name ? Also, what is meant by 'search and replace' ?

Thank-you.
    MZ.
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

Believe me, gcacalls.ini is in the GCA folder. Open it with a text editor, do a search on the phrase "panel" and replace by "panel.modern".

Example, the line Sound00=\panel\GCA\calls\APP_0.wav should become Sound00=\panel.modern\GCA\calls\APP_0.wav.

FYI, we are preparing a V2 that can be installed in the Gauges folder rather than in the aircraft's panel folder. This can be accessed by all planes and does not need any name changes.

Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post
    Believe me, gcacalls.ini is in the GCA folder. Open it with a text editor, do a search on the phrase "panel" and replace by "panel.modern".

Example, the line Sound00=\panel\GCA\calls\APP_0.wav should become Sound00=\panel.modern\GCA\calls\APP_0.wav.

FYI, we are preparing a V2 that can be installed in the Gauges folder rather than in the aircraft's panel folder. This can be accessed by all planes and does not need any name changes.

Thank-you, Manfred, I will take a closer look.

Looking forward to 'V2' as I'd like to try this with a ton more of the aircraft in my virtual hangar.
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

Found it, Manfred , ... and replaced all 'panel' with 'panel.modern' using notepad edit menu.

Thank-you, for your guidance,
    MZ.
    Cheers, MZee ...

Hi Manfred,

Is there any way of getting the APC and PAR buttons to be a part of the aircraft status/ control panel bar, as shown in Tom's video in post #1 ? https://youtu.be/MkCGDW1idm8
    I am currently accessing these via the FSX drop down menu, but may be easier to access if they were a part of the panel itself.
    I am interested in having it in both the C-117D V3 and C-47 V3.12.

Thank-you.
    MZ.
    Cheers, MZee ...

Hi Mzee,

Sure, there are several ways of invoking the GCA, including adding it to an already existing 2D panel, but they are all aircraft-specific. The easiest way is to take a close look at the panel.cfg and see if you can define a WindowNN section where NN is less than 9; in which case you can simply use Shift + the NN number.

We are in the process of final testing of V2, which has an improved installation procedure (no renaming etc) and many other tweaks, so maybe wait a bit until that's finalized. We will in fact suggest to deinstall any earlier version version files in the panel folder.

--Manfred

Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post
    Hi Mzee,

Sure, there are several ways of invoking the GCA, including adding it to an already existing 2D panel, but they are all aircraft-specific. The easiest way is to take a close look at the panel.cfg and see if you can define a WindowNN section where NN is less than 9; in which case you can simply use Shift + the NN number.

We are in the process of final testing of V2, which has an improved installation procedure (no renaming etc) and many other tweaks, so maybe wait a bit until that's finalized. We will in fact suggest to deinstall any earlier version version files in the panel folder.

--Manfred
    Thank-you. I will use my current setup until V2. A very nice software addon, and quite addictive, I must say, lol !
    Cheers, MZee ...

V2 Uploaded!

Just uploaded V2 (check Library > New), now FS9 compatible as well, thanks to Tom Gibson and the testers at Calclassic. Any older version will have to be removed/uninstalled for this one to work, but otherwise installation is faster and more economical. I hope. New features:
    - some new sounds; APC to identify planned approach type
    - intercept distance settable (6 to 12 miles)
    - better APC > PAR handover
    - improved AP readouts and handling
    - revised Manual PDF

New version 2 installed, functioning properly without problems.
    Thanks for this great work!
    Greetings
    Dieter
    Win10 Pro 64 bit - RAM 16GB -1 SSD 1TB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 HD 1TB/Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,2 GHz - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - MSFS

Great gauge and lots of fun, but I have an odd anomaly here. I've installed it into several A2A birds, and it works fine in the Bonanza, Comanche and Civ Mustang, but not in the Cherokee or Skylane. After I select Nearest, the airport list is not clickable, and the ICAO button just takes me to Epps Farm. (Perhaps it's because they're fixed gear and the others are retractables?)

Sorry, I do not have those planes, so cannot check it out here. Looks like it may be something related to the keyboard input function? Any other users here encounter the same issue?

--Manfred

V2.1 uploaded

Check out the NEW tab in the Library!

V2.1 changes include: quick sound setup test; menu items grayed out when not ready; activation of autopilot at user's discretion; 'semi-automatic mode' now available for both Pattern Control and Precision Approach; better setup options for straight-in Precision Approach; improved sequencing of glidepath and centerline callouts; synchronized heading callouts in autopilot and manual modes; "slightly above/below glidepath" added to height callouts; left/right orientation bug added to centerline offset number; revised manual.

--Manfred

Thanks Manfred.

Members who have read this thread: 0