GAS Super Stearman Pre-release sale - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GAS Super Stearman Pre-release sale

Quote Originally Posted by 62stratfan View Post
    You may be correct. Even small GAS files show a PSD icon. The GAS textures seem to be dds-888-8-32 where my Lionheart F24 dds, for example, files are DXT5. They show a thumbnail preview.
    62stratfan
    Yup, I have same issues... Glad to know it's not just me. Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Well, I switched to DXTBMP as default dds viewer, instead of thumbnail view of open dds files, I get this: (This is with Win 10)
    Is it normal for win 10 or older to display dds files this way?

Edit: With other textures of other aircraft Dxt and ifran view will both display thumbnail pics of the dds files. It seems a conundrum with the GAS textures for some reason.
    That's normal if you associate with DXTbmp as that program isn't designed to be a viewer. I am running Win10-64 bit and although I don't have this airplane (yet), just going to the folder that holds the textures and right clicking to select (view as thumbnails) and selecting "large" for the size I always see a thumbnail view.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

It's been a long time since I've uploaded anything for FS. I think it's the GAS textures that are 888 8 32 that don't give a preview. I do have the Stearmans. The few GAS textures that are DXT1 or DXT5 are giving me a preview at all except List, Small Icons or Details. The Tutor's are bmps, no problem there. Other A/C that are DXT1 or DXT5 seem to have a preview.
    62stratfan

@spad54 Only at sim-outhouse could your generous offers be seconded in this way. Thanks again for all you do and especially for your saint like patience.

..this has got to be a first - the thumbnails thread..seriously?

some of y'all need to get a little perspective

enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    That's normal if you associate with DXTbmp as that program isn't designed to be a viewer. I am running Win10-64 bit and although I don't have this airplane (yet), just going to the folder that holds the textures and right clicking to select (view as thumbnails) and selecting "large" for the size I always see a thumbnail view.
    Falcon,
    Thanks for the input
    My main point was that some DDS files no matter what viewer is used will not preview dds in thumbnails
    I found another aircraft to illustrate my point that some dds will and some dds won't show as thumbnails.
    Don't know why that is, is all I am asking.

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    ..this has got to be a first - the thumbnails thread..seriously?

some of y'all need to get a little perspective

I agree. Perhaps if we come up with some thumbnail jokes they can start a new thread.

In the meantime.. I'm loving the Stearmans, especially the ones with floats. Took a nice flight from Friday Harbor to Kenmore Air in Seattle the other day. Had to set the timeframe to a nice summer day to get my mind off all this cold and snow we're having here. Hope someone is working on some repaints.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Many Thanks

Thanks to the community that took advantage of the initial offering. The link will be taken down by the end of the day. On to the next................

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc420141020237.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Falcon,
    Thanks for the input
    My main point was that some DDS files no matter what viewer is used will not preview dds in thumbnails
    I found another aircraft to illustrate my point that some dds will and some dds won't show as thumbnails.
    Don't know why that is, is all I am asking.
    FWIW, I use Thumbview/TV View by Martin Wright who also produced DXTBmp (http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/tview.htm) which shows 99% of the files in my texture folders - it displayed all these Flight Replicas DC-4 textures. It can be associated with your main graphics program. Right-click on a thumbnail to open full-screen, left-click to close (Download the .dll set as well if necessary. it works on my Windows 10 laptop)
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    P3D v3.4
    P3D v4.5
    FSX-SE
    X-Plane 11

Quote Originally Posted by Spad54 View Post
    Thanks to the community that took advantage of the initial offering. The link will be taken down by the end of the day. On to the next................
    Thanks Paul. Scooped it up before the deadline - I forgot to do it last week

Looking forward to 'the next one'.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

wow Thats a beautiful pic!!
    Rob Schreiber

Thanks for this great aircraft, Paul. Looking forward to flying her, soon.

For those on the "thumbnail" thread, not all types of texture types used in FS are capable of being shown as viewable thumbnails, strictly because of compression types used. DXTBMP will open, and convert all types used in FS. If you really must be able to see all of them, you can open each of those showing only your default opening program icon, and converting them into one of types that do show up, and saving them to your folders. In most cases, those converted textures can be/will be used by the aircraft or scenery in question, however, they may not be the most efficient for the particular model/object using them, and may either be blurry, or cause a loss of framerate when they are in the picture. Just some info for those wondering.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Woohooo!!!! Can we take the pic as a comment on the next offering? I might have a collection of detail pics taken of various examples at Oshkosh...

Fleet model 2? or the series....

They're in good hands, boss
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    Fleet model 2? or the series....

They're in good hands, boss
    Model 16 Finch ( to start)

"to start"...I like it.

Looks like you have the one with the canopy in your teaser image - like this one here..though yours also has the cowl ring on it
    enter..the Sandman

Yes. We are working closely with a Fleet restorer group which includes high time Fleet Finch owner pilots. Our hope is that the fiedity and accuracy we brought to the Stearman will be applied to this classic RCAF trainer. Be patient all will be revealed, on time.

though yours also has the cowl ring on it

Might be exhaust collector.
    62stratfan

Quote Originally Posted by 62stratfan View Post
    Might be exhaust collector.
    62stratfan[/COLOR]
    Yes that's exactly what it is. Fitted for the Kinner B-5

Members who have read this thread: 1