New PC - Not performing like I hoped...

Thread: New PC - Not performing like I hoped...

New PC - Not performing like I hoped...

hi guys, I decided recently to build a PC from scratch to support P3D 4.4 Details of the build below.

• Asus ROG Strix Z390 E gaming Motherboard
    • Intel i7-8700K coffee lake processor 3.7 Mhz
    • 32 GB of G.skill 3200 Mhz DDR4 dram
    • Corsair Water cooling system
    • 850 watt power supply
    • 1 TB Crucial technologies M.2 2080 SSD - completely dedicated to P3D. Nothing else on it...
    • Asus ROG Strix 1070 Video card
    • Windows 10 Professional OS
    • Upstar 27 inch 4K monitor (I already had this.)
    • Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case. Plenty of air moving in this beast.

--------------------------------------

Now with this rig, I had hopes that I would be blasting some FPS. However, I am only getting @30 FPS generally. Which I find annoying as hell.
    I am using Nvidia driver 388.71, which I have found to be a pretty fast driver for P3D. What can I do here to make this beast run like it ought to?
    Any ideas or best practices? None of the settings below are really that aggressive.

Hopefully someone will have some good answers for you, as I have pretty good rig as well, but it doesn't perform much better with P3D than my old rig did with FSX, and I've turned a lot of features off and moved the sliders left.

Wow! Your system has similar specs to mine (actually yours is better) and mine runs smooth as glass. Let me go make some screens of my settings and see if I can help by posting them here. BRB ASAP

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Okay, here are screens of my settings. Look through them and try as you like and see if that helps. Keep us posted.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Are you running the 8700K at stock speed? If so, it really needs to be overclocked... 4.8-5 GHz should be possible.

Greg
    i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3Dv4) and WD 2TB Black, Win 10 Pro.

First of all I would ensure that no programme that is not needed is running in the background! From my own experience, I have a programme installed that is called "Acronis" - responsible for making backups of my harddrives. At first, when the programme was new installed, I noticed an extremly slow loading P3D, and after this, the performance of the sim was really bad.
    I had a look inside my processes and noticed several sub programmes of "Acronis" which were continiously working to upload something here, saving something there.
    Okay, my suggestion is to check all your programme services. Disable all not needed or change from "automatically" to manually (in case of for example Windows Updates). All those may cause a big impact of the flightsim performance.

Then:
    Are you using the P3D default? Or any other addons like ORBX?

Then:
    Weather engines or any other sub programmes that run simultaneously in P3D? It's hard to tell, but the more several programmes run simultaneously, the more difficult it is to say, how each requirement need how many performance.

Only then it makes sense to talk about settings inside P3D.

It is a hard tightrope act to configure your sim to your own PC, your own software environments and your P3D settings.
    In most cases, buying a PC monster and expect the system to let the sim run as real life usually won't work.
    Best regards, Manfred.

I run at stock settings (turbo boost with no OC) which will automatically clock up to 4.3 (all cores) and 4.7 on a single core. I am getting steady locked 32fps and when I run unlimited, I am averaging 50 up to 80 FPS which fluctuates. This is with the settings seen that I posted. I am running a good bit of addon high density scenery and REX Texture Direct Enhanced Edition.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I also have a 8700k running at stock frequency and I get much higher FPS even with quite high settings.
    Ejoiner, please ensure your video drivers are up to date, and please delete once again the generated shaders in appdata\local\...
    Also ensure your power management is set to maximum performance in the Windows settings, and don't forget to exclude Prepar3D.exe in your antivirus settings.

Your 1070 is little weak for your CPU it could be creating a bottleneck with those high graphics settings you are running. Is it the 1.506 GHz Asus ROG STRIX-GTX1070-8G card or the 1.632 GHz Asus ROG STRIX-GTX1070-O8G card? Although FPS do seem low for even that setup. You don't have Autogen trees are you using something else, Orbx trees & scenery? Are you running other 3rd party systems REX? Or AI traffic set high?
    Last edited by DarrenL; February 1st, 2019 at 05:02.

Upgraded my system some weeks ago...
    I5-9600K 3.7 (no overclock)
    32 RAM DDR4
    Asus Rog Strix Z390-F
    Asus NVidia 1080 drivers 417.71 (now)
    W 10 Home 64

Use a lot of Orbx products, everything maxed up and getting a steady 35-40-60 fps...just as a reference, no sugestions read the posts and will follow advice about the anti-virus…

regards

Check and make sure no outside programs ( Nvidia software or other GPU controlling software)
    are
    limiting your FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenL View Post
    Your 1070 is little weak for your CPU it could be creating a bottleneck with those high graphics settings you are running. Is it the 1.506 GHz Asus ROG STRIX-GTX1070-8G card or the 1.632 GHz Asus ROG STRIX-GTX1070-O8G card? Although FPS do seem low for even that setup. You don't have Autogen trees are you using something else, Orbx trees & scenery? Are you running other 3rd party systems REX? Or AI traffic set high?
    Hi all, still frustrated... get this... I added a new Nvidia RTX 2080 video card today, which in theory would make this machine SMOKING hot for P3D. However, I am STILL getting @30 FPS or somewhat less. with the same mid level settings I was using for my 1070 card. I had finally gotten the 1070 to run @40 FPS which was fine. However after adding the 2080, it dropped again. Only thing I can figure is driver. My trusty 388.71 driver that I know works great in P3D, doesnt support the new 2080 card. This 418.81 driver (newest) I think is the problem. it works great for new games, but P3D doesnt love it apparently.

At wits end. and the credit card is maxxed. :0

E

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post
    Hi all, still frustrated... get this... I added a new Nvidia RTX 2080 video card today, which in theory would make this machine SMOKING hot for P3D. However, I am STILL getting @30 FPS or somewhat less. with the same mid level settings I was using for my 1070 card. I had finally gotten the 1070 to run @40 FPS which was fine. However after adding the 2080, it dropped again. Only thing I can figure is driver. My trusty 388.71 driver that I know works great in P3D, doesnt support the new 2080 card. This 418.81 driver (newest) I think is the problem. it works great for new games, but P3D doesnt love it apparently.

E
    I don't think it's the driver. I'm running the 418.81 version on my GTX1060 6GB -- and in most circumstances I'm getting over 100FPS. For me, it all seems to relate to the complexity of the scenery and airports I'm flying over.

Can you throttle back on your scenery complexity and shadow settings? See if that improves things. Switch off the 'Use high-resolution terrain textures' in Options/World.

Dave
    Last edited by dhazelgrove; February 10th, 2019 at 02:55.

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post

E
    So other games are working fine and you can also see an FPS increase between 1070 and 2080? Ok that pinpoints the issue just to P3D, is it a completely fresh install or have you copied anything across from a previous HDD for quickness?

As 33gradyhappyg posted above check all potential sources of gfx card setting adjustments like the Nvidia control panel and NVidia Inspector. Do you have GeForce Experience installed, if so remove it and just run with the drivers, it installs a lot of unnecessary services that could be slowing your PC down when you are using it. I actually still have it installed (I know) but I have disabled a lot of the services so they never run.

If that didn't help I would try to use another players cfg (users/appdata/roaming/LockheedMartin/Prepar3D.cfg) that runs the same card (and similar cpu) and compare their fps results using their cfg with yours.

Try this, back up all your P3D install files, then uninstall and roll back to 4.3. Install one complex scenery and aircraft and see if that restores your performance. 4.4 has been known to choke some fairly high end systems with settings turned up including PBR. That's what I ran into and decided to roll back to 4.3 for the time being.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What is your CPU usage while in sim? If the cores are being pegged at or near 100% that would be your problem.
    You need to add an "Affinity Mask" to the P3D.cfg. For my rig it is set to:

[JOBSCHEDULER]
    AffinityMask=84

This is for a 4 core 8 thread I7 6700k w/Hyper-Threading enabled. (specs below)
    Go to this site: http://www.gatwick-fsg.org.uk/affini...uItem=hardware
    And use the calculator to get the number you need for your CPU. Just scroll down to the middle of the page and
    select your CPU cores and to check the box for Hyper Threading enabled, (if you have a Hyper Threaded CPU)
    then Calculate. The page will refresh and the number for your Affinity Mask will be there. Copy/paste this at the
    bottom of your CFG and save. Let us know if this helped at all.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Members who have read this thread: 0