Anyone tried the RAZBAM Harrier in P3d V4?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried the RAZBAM Harrier in P3d V4?

Anyone tried the RAZBAM Harrier in P3d V4?

Does it show up okay? Gauges, etc?

What's the awful transition at 90 kts like? Any better?

Ta
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

It shows up, most gauges work. VTOL doesn't as it's a 32bit dll.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWG View Post
    It shows up, most gauges work. VTOL doesn't as it's a 32bit dll.

What happens when the you put the nozzles down?
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

As Dave said above, the Razbam Harrier depends on a 32 bits DLL module to work. So it won't be usable in P3Dv4.
    As for the transition, since it's handled by its gauges or modules, it would be exactly the same in P3Dv4 as it was in FSX or P3Dv3. Just bad.
    The SSW Harrier is the only choice for P3Dv4, and it's quite good.

So it seems. I did a more thorough search here and found this discussion from a little while ago;

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...tions-in-sight

I really wanted to get the Raz up in the air as the SSW AV-8B is a temperamental SOB on my system and routinely freezes up 10 mins in to the flight.

I'll have a bit of a play with the modified Rob gauge and see.
    Jim

The Wilco Harrier GR3 flies well in V4.4.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    The Wilco Harrier GR3 flies well in V4.4.

Thanks Bazzar - as folks seem to have concluded on the other thread.

However, better the devil you know and all that - would really like to get the Razbam going in v4.

I've done the dll.xml edit mentioned in the other thread...

...and things are now working (apart from Flap settings displaying correctly on the gauge in the vc - though certainly deploying correctly) but yeah, VSTOL is a mess. The bird gets to about 70% power and rears up (like a difficult horse) and ends up on her back (like a whore). And although that sort of thing would be of interest at any other time (like when you've got a weekend pass) - when you're bowling down the Runway at 160 kts - you've other things on your mind - like getting seriously airborne fast.
    Last edited by Ganter; January 30th, 2019 at 11:11.
    Jim

I saw where some guys over at one of the P3Dv4 Facebook pages were showing screens of them flying it in game but I didn't take a deeper look at it. I bought the model for FSX some time ago and didn't particularly care for it but I have the DCS version which is hands down the finest Harrier model ever made for flight sim to now. The STOVL modeling is simply fantastic for the model in DCS and there is a very nice freeware sound upgrade that enhances the engine & cockpit sounds for the model. I use DCS more and more for fighter/high performance aircraft models, especially as newer models come along. P3Dv4 is hands down my go to sim for GA and Commercial aircraft models/scenery, etc.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    I saw where some guys over at one of the P3Dv4 Facebook pages were showing screens of them flying it in game but I didn't take a deeper look at it. I bought the model for FSX some time ago and didn't particularly care for it but I have the DCS version which is hands down the finest Harrier model ever made for flight sim to now. The STOVL modeling is simply fantastic for the model in DCS and there is a very nice freeware sound upgrade that enhances the engine & cockpit sounds for the model. I use DCS more and more for fighter/high performance aircraft models, especially as newer models come along. P3Dv4 is hands down my go to sim for GA and Commercial aircraft models/scenery, etc.
    Yeah, I heard DCS is pretty much top of the line for combat, and certainly Razbam put it out there with the AV-8B Night Attack and won all the awards.

I guess a move to DCS is required at some point.

In the mean time I'm looking at taking the GR 7/9 off the deck of Invincible and Ark Royal so I guess my requirements are different.

Big respect to you guys on DCS - looks like you have it figured. Get your teeth out and Good Hunting!

But my OP remains; I would just love to get the Razbam flying - as badly - and as difficulty - as it does in FSX - in P3D V4

It's personal.

how to screenshot on windows 7
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Ganter View Post
    Thanks Bazzar - as folks seem to have concluded on the other thread.

However, better the devil you know and all that - would really like to get the Razbam going in v4.

I've done the dll.xml edit mentioned in the other thread...

...and things are now working (apart from Flap settings displaying correctly on the gauge in the vc - though certainly deploying correctly) but yeah, VSTOL is a mess. The bird gets to about 70% power and rears up (like a difficult horse) and ends up on her back (like a whore). And although that sort of thing would be of interest at any other time (like when you've got a weekend pass) - when you're bowling down the Runway at 160 kts - you've other things on your mind - like getting seriously airborne fast.
    I don't know about the flaps, but as far as I remember, the plane tilting on its back and loosing control during hover is usually a sign of overweight.
    To fly in VTOL, the plane needs to be very light. Like, with less than 30% of fuel, and not much under the wings.

DCS, utilizes the Razbam Harrier in it’s sim and it’s pretty good,the transition to VSTOL can be tricky .. you have to lighten it or it gets squirrelly. But all in all it’s pretty good
    Three great things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life where you get to experience all three at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    I don't know about the flaps, but as far as I remember, the plane tilting on its back and loosing control during hover is usually a sign of overweight.
    To fly in VTOL, the plane needs to be very light. Like, with less than 30% of fuel, and not much under the wings.

No, I'm all good on weights. Nothing on the rails and 3500 lbs of fuel. That's well under limits for VTOL.

The more I examine it the more I think the flaps are part of the problem. They don't show on the gauges as changing when you deploy them. On VTOL they need to be on auto and with nozzles at 79% they should be at 62. They LOOK like they are from the exterior but I don't think they are in terms of the FD.

Attempting a vertical TO with zero flaps would result in a massive pitch up moment - exactly what I'm seeing in the sim.

I wonder if there's a fix for this.
    Jim

I wonder if there's a fix for this.
    It's all tied into the Razbam VTOL module. I had the same effect in FSX if the module wasn't loaded.
    The only solution, apart from Razbam relating a proper 64bit module, is to totally replace the whole FD/VTOL combo. I did try grafting in the Wilco Harrier FD with the 64 bit modules. I did work in that I could VTOL and transition to FF fine, but the weights and aircraft performance were obviously incorrect for a GR7/9 and some things like flap indications didn't work.
    I'm sure with quite a bit of work these problems could be overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWG View Post
    It's all tied into the Razbam VTOL module. I had the same effect in FSX if the module wasn't loaded.
    The only solution, apart from Razbam relating a proper 64bit module, is to totally replace the whole FD/VTOL combo. I did try grafting in the Wilco Harrier FD with the 64 bit modules. I did work in that I could VTOL and transition to FF fine, but the weights and aircraft performance were obviously incorrect for a GR7/9 and some things like flap indications didn't work.
    I'm sure with quite a bit of work these problems could be overcome.
    Well, there's no chance of Razbam updating it for P3D v4 - he's long gone from FSX/ P3D to DCS.

I also tried grafting elements of the SSW AV-8B in to the Razbam - it did not go well!

I'm sure it's to do with the flaps indication and real deployment of them in the .air file but I could very well be wrong.
    Jim

Ok, if the weight was ok for VTOL but the plane still behaves like that, then it's definitely the lack of the DLL that prevents it from hovering.
    I think I had that problem back in P3Dv3, after I moved the plane folder from my FSX to my P3D, but forgot to update the DLL.xml of P3D... Then the DLL was not loaded and I couldn't hover in the sim...
    Later on I understood my mistake, updated the DLL.xml with both the entries for the Harrier and the A-7 (I had that one too) and the plane started to hover properly again
    But that was in P3Dv3, which was 32 bits...

Aircraft.cfg

In the aircraft.cfg coment out "//" these two lines in the [GeneralEngineData] section as below:
    // thrustanglespitchheading.1 = -90,0
    // thrustanglespitchheading.2 = -90,0

This eliminates the weird flipping on its back behaviour on VTOL.

The AVM 64 bit vtol module works quite well and is available here: https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/re...interface.202/
    I use Version 6.4 of Rob Barendregt's "VSTOLControlIPC_Function.xml" gauge with the 64 bit AVM module and it handles the flaps OK. You also need his "RCB_FSX_Init.xml" loaded in the panel.cfg with it all.
    I'm quite happy with the VTOL operations using the above.

Of course without Razbam's RZAV8BCM.dll loaded you lose some functionality such as the engine panel gauges etc ... but it flies quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by gary20 View Post
    In the aircraft.cfg coment out "//" these two lines in the [GeneralEngineData] section as below:
    // thrustanglespitchheading.1 = -90,0
    // thrustanglespitchheading.2 = -90,0

This eliminates the weird flipping on its back behaviour on VTOL.

The AVM 64 bit vtol module works quite well and is available here: https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/re...interface.202/
    I use Version 6.4 of Rob Barendregt's "VSTOLControlIPC_Function.xml" gauge with the 64 bit AVM module and it handles the flaps OK. You also need his "RCB_FSX_Init.xml" loaded in the panel.cfg with it all.
    I'm quite happy with the VTOL operations using the above.

Of course without Razbam's RZAV8BCM.dll loaded you lose some functionality such as the engine panel gauges etc ... but it flies quite well.
    Thanks for this Gary.

I'll experiment with those 'cfg edits.

Someone else mentioned the AVM 64 bit module but I don't understand how this relates to the Razbam Harrier - it not having that within the panel.
    Would you be kind enough to explain - especially if it can be implemented with the Razbam?

Many thanks,
    Jim

When you download Maryadi's 64 bit AVM module, the instructions for adding it to your panel.cfg are included with examples.
    Make sure to use the 64 bit module provided.

You also have to add the two Rob Barendregt's gauges "VSTOLControlIPC_Function.xml and RCB_FSX_Init.xml" to your panel.cfg. These provide the "dynamics" for VTOL operation.
    I think the Wilco Harrier has these .. not sure where I got them ...

I've also tweaked the Aircraft.cfg quite a bit, but if you add and overwrite the [FLAPS] entry below (which I think is also from the Wilco Harrier), then flaps work fine:

[Flaps.0]
    type=1
    span-outboard=0.5
    extending-time=2
    system_type=0
    damaging-speed=300
    blowout-speed=300
    lift_scalar=0
    drag_scalar=0
    pitch_scalar=0
    flaps-position.0= 0 // 265 < Airspeed
    flaps-position.1= 5 // 240 < Airspeed < 265
    flaps-position.2=10 // 215 < Airspeed < 240
    flaps-position.3=15 // 190 < Airspeed < 215
    flaps-position.4=20 // 165 < Airspeed < 190
    flaps-position.5=25 // Airspeed < 165, Nozzles < 25
    flaps-position.6=35 // Airspeed < 165, 25 < Nozzles < 33
    flaps-position.7=45 // Airspeed < 165, 33 < Nozzles < 41
    flaps-position.8=55 // Airspeed < 165, 41 < Nozzles < 50
    flaps-position.9=65 // Airspeed < 165, 50 < Nozzles < 100

Hope that helps ...

Quote Originally Posted by gary20 View Post
    When you download Maryadi's 64 bit AVM module, the instructions for adding it to your panel.cfg are included with examples.
    Make sure to use the 64 bit module provided.

You also have to add the two Rob Barendregt's gauges "VSTOLControlIPC_Function.xml and RCB_FSX_Init.xml" to your panel.cfg. These provide the "dynamics" for VTOL operation.
    I think the Wilco Harrier has these .. not sure where I got them ...

I've also tweaked the Aircraft.cfg quite a bit, but if you add and overwrite the [FLAPS] entry below (which I think is also from the Wilco Harrier), then flaps work fine:

[Flaps.0]
    type=1
    span-outboard=0.5
    extending-time=2
    system_type=0
    damaging-speed=300
    blowout-speed=300
    lift_scalar=0
    drag_scalar=0
    pitch_scalar=0
    flaps-position.0= 0 // 265 < Airspeed
    flaps-position.1= 5 // 240 < Airspeed < 265
    flaps-position.2=10 // 215 < Airspeed < 240
    flaps-position.3=15 // 190 < Airspeed < 215
    flaps-position.4=20 // 165 < Airspeed < 190
    flaps-position.5=25 // Airspeed < 165, Nozzles < 25
    flaps-position.6=35 // Airspeed < 165, 25 < Nozzles < 33
    flaps-position.7=45 // Airspeed < 165, 33 < Nozzles < 41
    flaps-position.8=55 // Airspeed < 165, 41 < Nozzles < 50
    flaps-position.9=65 // Airspeed < 165, 50 < Nozzles < 100

Hope that helps ...
    Gary - are we talking about the Razbam Harrier here. Have you had luck using the Rob VTOL gauge with it?

The .cfg edits you suggested made the Harrier un-flyable. Were you suggesting they must be used with the Rob gauge? I tried them without it and I just accelerated forward with no nozzle to 80% effect on forward speed and vertical TO whatsoever.
    Jim

Gary - are we talking about the Razbam Harrier here. Have you had luck using the Rob VTOL gauge with it?

The .cfg edits you suggested made the Harrier un-flyable. Were you suggesting they must be used with the Rob gauge? I tried them without it and I just accelerated forward with no nozzle to 80% effect on forward speed and vertical TO whatsoever.
    Yes, the Razbam Harrier in P3Dv4.4.
    Yes, you have to use Rob's gauges with the AVM module.
    Here's how they're loaded in my panel.cfg for the GR7 under the [Vcockpit01] section (same for the GR9 panel):

gauge00=RAZBAM_HGR7!RAV8BP_HUD, 0, 20, 510, 512
    gauge01=AVM64!Maryadi_lv2av, 0,0
    gauge02=rcb-gauges!VSTOLControlIPC_Function, 0,0
    gauge03=rcb-gauges!RCB_FSX_Init, 0,0

Along with commenting out the above and adding and overwriting the flaps entries above, it works quite well …..

How does the gauge work gary?

Is it a popup that flies the plane irrespective of the original .air file or something?
    Jim

How does the gauge work gary?

Is it a popup that flies the plane irrespective of the original .air file or something?
    No popup. It just works in the background controlling a few things like nozzle positions, flaps, VTOL physics etc etc ?
    Above my paygrade on how it works, but it does ...

The man above is a genius who has made the Razbam Harrier GR7/9 the finest VTOL aircraft in P3D v4 and everything below that.

Jim

The man above is a genius who has made the Razbam Harrier GR7/9 the finest VTOL aircraft in P3D v4 and everything below that.
    Seriously?! You guys have a fully functional Razbam Harrier working in V4? Instruments as well?
    Your English is better than my French, German, Italian, Spanish.... so no worries my friends!

Quote Originally Posted by odourboy View Post
    seriously?! You guys have a fully functional razbam harrier working in v4? Instruments as well?

yeaaaaaaaahhhhhhh !
    Jim

Members who have read this thread: 1