Another airport question: KSMO Santa Monica

Thread: Another airport question: KSMO Santa Monica

Another airport question: KSMO Santa Monica

Anybody know if Santa Monica Airport (KSMO) has been redone by anybody since the runway has been shortened?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails smo-runway.jpg  

The https://dctry.net tool indicates there are no aftermarket versions of KSMO.
    i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz (OC), 8GB DDR3 1600 memory, Windows 7. All home built.

Fast motorcycles, vintage cars, good bourbons, and alas, vintage cigars I had to give up...

Kind of what I thought. If somebody is practicing approaches there before actually going they could be in for a surprise when they get there. I know regs say all available information, but human nature says they won't.

SOH-CM-2020
    More than 40 airplanes used the closed portions of the runway last year.

https://www.flyingmag.com/shorter-ru...&mid=416660204

I read that. It's where I got the image from.

Update

I was able to open up the stock FSX airport in ADEx and it is really not badly done. The runway can be shortened to the 3500 feet but I couldn't figure out how to put the thresholds on it. It would be a real quick easy fix for someone who knows ADEx well and just upload as a modified default airport for us guys to use now.

I just opened KSMO in ADEX. It does not look too bad, but it is also not look too good. Some taxiways need to be added, parking and aprons rearranged to more accurately reflect the current KSMO. To make it truly correct would take a more talented airport artist than I. I don't think there are any stock objects in FSX that would even come close to the cloverleaf hangars located at Proteus Air Services located on the southwest corner of the airport. Mashing several objects together to create a custom structure often creates a Z-fighting visual mess.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I'll fiddle with it a bit, let y'all know how it comes along, might need a warm body or two to test it... if I can fix it and make it better than stock.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I've managed to correct the runway, blast pads, taxiways, taxiway signs, and I have a bunch of stock, FSX buildings in the correct locations. Like most stock airports, this one fell far short of being accurate. I really do not like the stock FSX hangars, they seem to bear little resemblance to real world hangers, but I'm not an object maker, I just swap around the parts and bits. Not sure when I'll have this ready for testing, it's a busy week at work.

Apron paving is underway.

Good to see someone has taken the bull by the horns on this. I feel your pain on the buildings but sometimes you just have to make due with what you have.

GA Hangers Addon

I found at AVSIM Sidney Swartz's file of General Aviation Hangers that can be placed I believe with ADEx or SBuilder. The file name is ga_hangers_ss_v3. They are FS9 but I believe would work in FSX. Check it out. The worst case they wouldn't work right?

That's correct, worse case scenario they will not display. I think I will have a version using stock building ready soon. I need to place parking spots and maybe a few trees to dress it up just a bit. It already looks better than stock. When I have it ready, I'll need someone to test it.

Happy To Test It

I will be happy to test it for you in FSX/A

Will fly my new GAS Stearman on a few touch and go's.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post

Thanks, I expect it to be ready for this weekend.

With all due respect and apologies to Harrison Ford, don't land on the golf course to the west

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post

Ready for testing, you have a pm.

Test complete

I first tested Santa Monica this morning in my GAS Super Stearman with some t&g. Then, I flew in and out of Santa Monica this first from Bob Hope (Burbank) in my Grand Caravan and then on to Catalina Island. It is a really nice job. From the photos I got on Google it is "close enough" to be a good rendition and I let him know I thought it was ready to share. Good job, Mike.

Thanks, I'll put together a "read me" with EULA, package it up and get ready to upload. SOH will get it first, then other free sites will get it.

Members who have read this thread: 0