Offline for a few days...dead power supply - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Offline for a few days...dead power supply

Blog Entries
    Update:

I completed the new build today, everything went by the book. As of this post I'm up and running on the new workstation. The updated stats are in my signature.

Holy shift...she's incredibly quiet with the Cooler Master Maker 8 Thermal cooler. I've got two more 200 mm fans coming to vent the case. Next step is a new chassis...my power switch and audio jack are sketchy, so it's time to replace the case after four years being worked hard and put up wet.

It will take a bit of time to move in, update drivers and software etc. and install the sim...again. All of the drives have checked in with no losses of data, so now it's a matter of organizing the new work station and simulator.

From what I can see so far, this build is a monster...worth the wait and investment. Hopefully I can get back to work and finish some projects, make some videos and generally bring my workflow back up to full song.

Thanks everyone for your patience and support. Ya'll got me over the hump.

BTW...the build was very straight forward and logical. I highly recommend taking some time to learn the basics and save a ton on your next system.

Last edited by gman5250; March 8th, 2019 at 22:08.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Brilliant!

How are the temps with that i9 9900K?

Enjoy that new monster mate!

Priller

Sounds like a great computer. Just be sure not to let out any of that magic smoke. If you let the magic smoke out of any of the components, they won't work and you cannot get that smoke to go back inside. Trust me, I know this to be the truth.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Brilliant!

How are the temps with that i9 9900K?

Enjoy that new monster mate!

Priller
    I haven't gotten to installing the sim, but average use is around 29 degrees C. The rev limiter is set at 84.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    Sounds like a great computer. Just be sure not to let out any of that magic smoke. If you let the magic smoke out of any of the components, they won't work and you cannot get that smoke to go back inside. Trust me, I know this to be the truth.
    I've seen that same smoke come out a motorcycle engine more than once. Same result.
    Thomas Jefferson

Sounds like a very nice system, Gordon.

My build was put on hold a while back b/c the tech couldn't source out any more GeForce 1080 Ti's - despite promises to the contrary (back room stock etc.). Now he's singing a new tune and price is up nearly $3k. He wants me to consider i9 9900x deca-core CPU with Asus ROG Strix X299-E MB, Nvidia RTX Titan 24GB PCI-E GPU, Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM cooler, with 1x 512GB NVMe M.2 PCI-E x4 SSD and 1x 4TB SATA III HDD for storage, 32GB RAM, with Corsair 80 Plus Gold, 850W power supply - all inside an Obsidian 500D RGB case (not sure what all this means, but he says it will make a nice system). I told him I want a computer, .... not a car. Currently still thinking about it as price is now nearly double my original budget. I want to run P3D, but feel this is perhaps overkill.
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

Good choice on your build "G" for the type of rendering workload.

CPU performance rendering results.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13591...ower-for-sff/5

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    It is a well known fact that computers do not work on any properties found on earth. I have found that a sacrifice of two pigeons over a covered motherboard with the cpu installed will cure most ills.

I havent tried it so I cannot claim it works but was told this by my trusted personal guru, Khan.

Blog Entries
    Post Build Update

I thought I'd share one or two observations on the new build and a couple of screen caps.

First, I am a dyed in the wool believer in using P3D Add-ons features to their full advantage. I keep 90% of my scenery and aircraft outside of the actual simulator folder. Even having completely re-built the computer I was able to load P3Dv4 from its dedicated SSD and on the first boot it found all of the external drives and folders containing the bulk of my data. Even my FSUIPC and ChasePlane settings booted right in. I'll let the caps speak for themselves, but needless to say I'm happy with the money I spent.

The CPU and GPU are running "out of the box" settings with no tweaks or OC.

These caps were taken with all sliders WFO, and NVIDIA settings set up to render maximum quality. Frames are in the lower left corner.

Thomas Jefferson

Installing P3D on it's own dedicated SSD drive will probably become the new norm in the near future, and installing addons using the addon xml method is becoming the new norm amongst developers for P3D - even Orbx will soon adopt it (so they say on their site). This eliminates a lot of extra work when updates are offered for the core sim, and also makes it a breeze to update to a larger SSD drive should space for P3D be an issue down the road.
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MZee1960 View Post
    Installing P3D on it's own dedicated SSD drive will probably become the new norm in the near future, and installing addons using the addon xml method is becoming the new norm amongst developers for P3D - even Orbx will soon adopt it (so they say on their site). This eliminates a lot of extra work when updates are offered for the core sim, and also makes it a breeze to update to a larger SSD drive should space for P3D be an issue down the road.
    If I were to buy my 250 GB SSD today, it would be under fifty bucks. You can see from the screen cap how much open space I have left on that drive.
    A 2.5 NAND PC SATA is perfect for simulator installs. They are fast and affordable.
    A 1TB WD 2.5 SSD is $120 US.

When ORBX goes addon, that will be ideal. I even keep my MegaSceneryEarth on a dedicated storage drive.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    If I were to buy my 250 GB SSD today, it would be under fifty bucks. You can see from the screen cap how much open space I have left on that drive.
    A 2.5 NAND PC SATA is perfect for simulator installs. They are fast and affordable.
    A 1TB WD 2.5 SSD is $120 US.

When ORBX goes addon, that will be ideal. I even keep my MegaSceneryEarth on a dedicated storage drive.

One of the features that make XP more user friendly is their rather simple updating process. Perhaps P3DV5 will surprise us all when it is released.
    Cheers, MZee ...

Gordon good to see you have your machine up and running again.

Quote Originally Posted by MZee1960 View Post
    I was a big believer installing aircraft outside the main folder, if only so its easy to remove an addon you don't want without having to go into the main folder and do surgery on the files. When V5 comes out I am planning on installing it on its own SSD, I have one spot left in my system for another M2 drive and thats where its going to go.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Quote Originally Posted by blanston12 View Post
    I was a big believer installing aircraft outside the main folder, if only so its easy to remove an addon you don't want without having to go into the main folder and do surgery on the files. When V5 comes out I am planning on installing it on its own SSD, I have one spot left in my system for another M2 drive and thats where its going to go.
    I'm also a great fan of installing my add-on aircraft to a location outside of P3D root.

I cobbled together a "method" for semi-automating the process (with a couple of batch files). All described here: https://www.nzfsim.org/fsx-p3d-tweak...side-p3d-root/

It looks overly complex at first sight - but it's really quite simple in practice. I just had to "over-explain" it all to cover all bases (and levels of user expertise). I can usually install one in a couple of minutes.

Adam.
    XP11.50 | MSFS 2020
    Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40-4.69GHz | 8GB DDR3 | nVidia RTX2060 8GB | Win10 2004 64-bit 24Gb RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski_NZ View Post
    I'm also a great fan of installing my add-on aircraft to a location outside of P3D root.

I cobbled together a "method" for semi-automating the process (with a couple of batch files). All described here: https://www.nzfsim.org/fsx-p3d-tweak...side-p3d-root/

It looks overly complex at first sight - but it's really quite simple in practice. I just had to "over-explain" it all to cover all bases (and levels of user expertise). I can usually install one in a couple of minutes.

Adam.
    Your method seems easier than the one I read over at Avsim by @poppet in the P3D forum (addon xml), Adam.
    Thank-you for the link for future referrence.

My main concern with sims is what to do when space on the drive (SSD) is running low. This will become a more common issue in the future as developers are constantly improving the visual quality of addons, hence increasing the GB's they use up on the drive. I read in a forum post st SOH, that if your sim is on a separate, dedicated drive outside of the main OS drive, then the process of moving everything to a larger drive is as easy as installing the new, larger drive, copy/paste everything over to the new drive, then going back and re-naming the new drive to the same letter as the old, smaller drive, and you're done. This is perhaps, IMHO, the biggest advantage of having the sim on a separate, dedicated drive.
    Cheers, MZee ...

Members who have read this thread: 0