Offline for a few days...dead power supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Offline for a few days...dead power supply

Blog Entries

Offline for a few days...dead power supply

Power supply went south this AM. It'll take a few days for a new one to arrive, so I'll be limited for comms until I'm back up and running. Library computer only, every other day...if and when it does not snow. lol

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Hoping that it will arrive soon mate!

Priller

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Hoping that it will arrive soon mate!

Priller
    UPS ground departed out of Illinois, directly into major weather. More heavy weather over the West for the next four days. No estimated delivery date available. Limited comms here.

Waiting...errrr...patiently.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Did you want me to send those K-model cockpit photos via email?

Just a HU: I had word from Gordon this morning, and although the PSU has arrived, his system will not boot anymore.

Here's to hoping that this can be resolved and that the system didn't suffer any damage when the old PSU died.

Cheers,

Priller

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade408 View Post
    Did you want me to send those K-model cockpit photos via email?
    Right now I'm not able to access any of my storage, but I can leave them in the email and retrieve them later.
    Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries
    Update:

I installed the new PSU and the system failed to boot. Today, exploring options to isolate the problem with the help of a friend. Possibly the Mobo is gone.

At this point I am not in any position, and won't be in the foreseeable future, to purchase Mobo, PSU or any components for a $6,000 computer.
    So, I will apparently be inactive and not able to work indefinitely. My wife and I must prioritize our expenses and the machine is at the bottom of the pile.

I am sorry to leave plates spinning in the air, but some things are simply out of my control.

Thomas Jefferson

If you have another windows system available, try connecting the failing HD via usb or whatever to the functioning system and run chkdsk from there. I have found this approach to fix booting issues for me in the past. If you can create a bootable Linux CD or Thumbdrive on another machine, that will give you a way to boot around the windows HD and troubleshoot stuff. Just a thought.

Dave

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sieggie View Post
    If you have another windows system available, try connecting the failing HD via usb or whatever to the functioning system and run chkdsk from there. I have found this approach to fix booting issues for me in the past. If you can create a bootable Linux CD or Thumbdrive on another machine, that will give you a way to boot around the windows HD and troubleshoot stuff. Just a thought.

Dave
    Thanks Dave, good suggestion. I have a back up box, but the CPU cracked and fluid ran onto the Mobo. It might be OK, but I would need to buy a new CPU. My original intent was to transfer the CPU from my main box to the number two box, which is compatible, then upgrade the CPU in the main box.

Right now, assets to do anything are limited, so I'm looking at what can be done now.

Thomas Jefferson

I sent the email. Hope you can get your pc problem solved.

Ouch, I have never seen a CPU crack. Did the PS failure cause that?

Dave

Blog Entries
    Ouch, I have never seen a CPU crack. Did the PS failure cause that?

Dave
    The cracked CPU is on my back up box. It is/was a water cooled unit and apparently got too cold. The main computer/workstation is the one that lost the PSu. I keep my home office temperature high enough to protect the box, even when it gets 14 below outside.
    Thomas Jefferson

I worry about it getting 40F here in FL

Just a little OT but we get ambient temperatures in Melbourne Australia around 40C at this time of the year!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Blog Entries
    We get hammered with cold in February. Inversions and the lake across the meadow is the lowest/coldest part of the caldera. I just shoveled three feet of snow from my roof...my office temperature went down significantly. Snow is a good insulator, but tons of it over my head make me nervous. Melbourne sounds nice right about now.

BTW...looking now at the CPU or MoBo. I get a red led on the MoBo labeled CPU LED when the system shuts down on boot. I power the PSU, the fans try to turn, the red led comes on and it shuts down. Start to finish about two seconds.

I'd much prefer to replace a CPU than put in a new MoBo. We'll see, but I have one more day of shoveling to finish digging out...then four more feet coming Saturday and Sunday.
    Thomas Jefferson

I guess you got all our snow this winter. We've seen nary a drop up here in MA this year, a couple inches here or there, then gone a few days later as temps reach the 50'sF O_o

And I live a bit to the west on the NH border...

Good luck with your computer...when it rains it snows....

If you havent pulled the motherboard battery, try that. I have seen bios reset clear the symptoms you describe many times.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    We get hammered with cold in February. Inversions and the lake across the meadow is the lowest/coldest part of the caldera. I just shoveled three feet of snow from my roof...my office temperature went down significantly. Snow is a good insulator, but tons of it over my head make me nervous. Melbourne sounds nice right about now.

BTW...looking now at the CPU or MoBo. I get a red led on the MoBo labeled CPU LED when the system shuts down on boot. I power the PSU, the fans try to turn, the red led comes on and it shuts down. Start to finish about two seconds.

I'd much prefer to replace a CPU than put in a new MoBo. We'll see, but I have one more day of shoveling to finish digging out...then four more feet coming Saturday and Sunday.

If you havent pulled the motherboard battery, try that. I have seen bios reset clear the symptoms you describe many times.

Dave
    Good pointer! Should have thought of that myself!

Priller

G,

Check your mail mate!

Priller

Blog Entries

Dave
    Great suggestion. I'll do that today and pop back in with the result.
    Much appreciated Dave.
    Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    G,

Check your mail mate!

Priller
    Will do. Thanks mate.
    Last edited by gman5250; February 8th, 2019 at 15:48.
    Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries

Dave

Update:

I removed the battery, let the machine set for about a minute, replaced the batter, then pressed the start button. The machine tries to spin up the cooling fans, the red CPU LED lights up and the system shuts itself off after about one second. It will repeat by itself a number of times without me touching the start switch. At that point I turn off the PSU and unplug the main power cord to the PSU.

Good try though!
    Thomas Jefferson

Sorry gman, dosn't look good.

Dave

Laptop or tower unit Gman? This is a common problem with Dell stuff usually shows up after about a year or two. Identical symptoms to what you describe. There is a fix might be worth check out the net if and when you can re Dell PC failing to start. it is a hardware-software issue both. Sorry to say this but in end I surrendered and through the Dell in the bin. Not much comfort I know but if your surrounded by white stuff you might get some clues via the Dell fails to start or starts and shuts down problem.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    Laptop or tower unit Gman? This is a common problem with Dell stuff usually shows up after about a year or two. Identical symptoms to what you describe. There is a fix might be worth check out the net if and when you can re Dell PC failing to start. it is a hardware-software issue both. Sorry to say this but in end I surrendered and through the Dell in the bin. Not much comfort I know but if your surrounded by white stuff you might get some clues via the Dell fails to start or starts and shuts down problem.
    The unit is a StealthMachine tower...I've shown specs in my signature. The unit is four years old, and I do work it hard with the sim, Photoshop and 3D Studio, along with a ton of power hungry peripherals. I'm not surprised that it might be a used up CPU, in fact I have been aware that I am over the life expectancy for a while now.

If I buy a new CPU, it will be a six core with a bit more HP than my current which has served me very well. If it turns out that the CPU is not bad, it is not a loss because I can put the existing unit in my number two box, which is compatible.

I am working with limited resources, so I am trying to limit my diagnosis errors if I can. I really appreciate all of the help and suggestions from everyone. If it was a Harley, I could listen to it and tell you what is wrong but sadly I don't have that level of expertise in this particular area.
    Thomas Jefferson

Members who have read this thread: 0