Offline for a few days...dead power supply - Page 2
Contribute Now
Goal amount for this year: 10000 USD, Received: 10,445.00 USD (105%)
Welcome Back, Unregistered     Today's Date:       Current Time: 

Please Support the SOH "2019 Charter Membership Drive"




Accepted Payment Types

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 65

Thread: Offline for a few days...dead power supply

  1. #26
    Mine crapped out in Dec 2017 and was in limbo for a year. Wasn't sure I was going to build one and just hang out with nature instead. Well got me one of those 9000's series processors. Built a new computer with 9600k and very happy with it. Does what it suppose to do. With SSD's and Win10 Pro, I was amazed how fast it is.

    Take care of your needs "G", that's the most important thing right now. You'll bounce back I'm sure! All the best "G"!

  2. #27
    This is starting to remind me of a similar situation I had with my bike. We had built the motor and run it on the dyno...made 126 HP. Riding it back up the hill, the brand new motor went up in smoke. The green motor had blown out a chunk of roller tappet on the dyno...so...another couple of grand to fix the brand new motor.

    A couple of thousand miles later the motor started running like the timing had fallen out, chugging, snorting and running between one and two barrels. It would come and go intermittently. It's an EFI motor with two computers and a pile of sensors. The Harley guys couldn't find anything on their computers, and the bike kept throwing codes...this sensor, that sensor, yada yada yada. I traced every foot of wiring on the bike and replaced every sensor and the injectors. Nothing fixed the problem and I spent a lot of money chasing ghosts.

    The neighbor down the way was a career Toyota mechanic. I told him about the bike and he asked if it had a crank position sensor. It did. He told me to pull that sensor and have a look inside. The sensor is basically a tiny magnetic tube, but when I put a probe down inside I brought out a sliver of metal about the size of an eyelash. That sliver of metal had brought a $7000 stroker motor to it's knees.

    Turns out that when the motor had blown the tappet, the piece about the size of a pinkie fingernail went through the oil pump and got ground to powder but, a tiny sliver made its way all the way through the oiling system and into the CPS, where it was grounding the crank timing...sometimes.

    I found the tappet when I switched to the chain drive cams, S&S 106 barrel kit and limited travel lifters. I ended up splitting the case on this build and that's when I found the ground metal in the sump.

    Point of the story

    I don't have a way to diagnose any of the broken bits in the computer and there is no tech any where near me...so...I'm chasing a ghost in the machine...again. Looks like i'm going to have to take a hard look at a Gen8 or Gen9 CPU/MoBo, probably the Intel Core i7-9700K & ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming LGA 1151. That way I'll resolve the possibility of borked CPU, MoBo, or both.

    That's a ton, but this box is four years old and rode hard, and I need to get back to work.

    Opinions???
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

    Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

  3. #28
    SOH-CM-2017 BendyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Country New South Wales Australia
    Posts
    652
    GMAN, sorry I missed you had put your specs up. I went through my technical notes same issues apply for tower computers.

    The description of what happens fits what is called a POST failure. That means it is failing the power on self start test sequence or POST. The causes can be one of the following; dodgy power supply, corrupted BIOS or shot system board. The fan starting and LEDs on indicates that it is getting power but failing the POST test (which all PC's do at the beginning when turned on), basically as the system powers up it checks connections and supply to all peripherals and hardware connected. The recommendation was to disconnect everything except the monitor, if it starts then there is a peripheral issue and therefore reconnecting the peripherals one by one and doing the start will identify which one is causing an issue, that is which ever bit it was that got you a failure. Could be the monitor as well. Essentially peripherals such as monitor etc can do this.

    It is more than likely something deeper at the BIOS or system board level. Given your description of the leak, have you tried pulling out all the boards, memory etc that you can get to and using a spray cleaner drier to get rid of any residual moisture that may be lurking somewhere? This stuff you can get at electronic stores, given that it is so cold where you are, you may have just a few drops of residual water or liquid inside the board or connectors which are basically almost frozen and when they get heat liquify or cause a short out. I would try the clean and dry as a cheap first step. If still no go then I think the system board is possibly shot, never had a corrupted bios in my life time of playing with PCs.

    After the dry try holding down the power on button for several seconds maybe 10 without the power from mains ON, this will discharge any capacitors that also may be carrying residual power and preventing a start. The reconnect the power and try again holding down for 2-5 secs and observe if it starts up properly . If however it indicates power, fans turn and some LEDS come on but then fails to go through normal start with monitor displaying something etc, then it is not the power supply or BIOS but the system board which is damaged. That means replacing the board.

    Only a humble view on the issues, worth a try no damage can result.

  4. #29
    The Intel Core i7-9700K & ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming LGA 1151 are excellent choices mate!!

    But still I hope that Bendyflyer's suggestion works and that you can save the $$$$.

    Cheers,

    Priller

  5. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    GMAN, sorry I missed you had put your specs up..
    No worries mate.

    After I replaced the PSU my attempts to start the box were done with no peripherals i.e. screen plugged in. I unplugged the SSD and 5TB storage drives as well. Only the main C drive was powered up.

    I read your suggestions and went through that sequence, still no joy. I'm pretty certain that the MoBo or CPU are at the heart of the problem. As you can see from my specs, both are a bit out dated....well lets just say obsolete in today's tech environment. It makes very little sense to repair the system with equivalent components, so I'm making the decision to update the box to generation 9 CPU, MoBo and memory. That will be more or less a complete rebuild and should bring the box up to date.

    It may take a bit of time, but I will make that my focus. I really appreciate your interest and help. Thanks mate.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

    Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

  6. #31
    Designed Obsolescence

    Whether it is the MoBo or the CPU that are broken, there is a conundrum. The only replacement for the existing CPU is $850.00 US, but it does have free shipping. The exact replacement MoBo is $379.99 for a "like new used", of course with free shipping as well. To replace one or both would result in a substantial investment in outdated tech. If my car, or bike is four years old I can still get tires and wiper blades, even a starter at a reasonable price. Not so for computers.

    For slightly more than the cost of purchasing the now outdated CPU, I can upgrade the MoBO, CPU and memory to Gen 8/9. I've tallied up the shopping list, it's a bit over $1000.00 US. Of course, that will be the obvious course of action.

    I'm not a fan of Modern Monetary Theory, but the folks over in Silicon Valley most certainly are. After all, this is Kalifornia where it costs me more to register my 2001 Silverado in 2019, than it did when the truck was new.

    It'll take me a bit of time to pull it all together, but I'll build what is essentially a new box and jump back into my work. The single consolation, that combination with the GTX1080TI card will absolutely shine in P3Dv5.
    Last edited by gman5250; February 12th, 2019 at 12:33.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

    Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

  7. #32
    That is so true mate. Then again, we hate to see these things happen to our friends.

    I just hope that you'll be able to pull off the rebuild soon.

    you know where and how to find me!

    Priller

  8. #33
    SOH-CM-2017 BendyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Country New South Wales Australia
    Posts
    652
    Bugger, yep either one has had it. Understand your predicament. My Box has limited slots that will not take upgrades to new stuff because of the MOB was not designed for them. On top of that I know my HD is starting to get wonky, fails to write to disk or is slow etc, as you say you could probably upgrade the lot but is it worth it. My unit was state of the art 7 years ago but now is so far behind it is not funny and it is getting tired despite some memory upgrades etc. I guess I will have to bite the bullet at some stage but having gone off grid and headed for the hills some time ago, one is not flash for cash and given the extreme weather that seems common these days those resources are become more and more stretched. Hear what you say understand the problem my friend. Plenty of cash it would not be an issue but when its tight every buck counts and if you spend it you got do it the best you can with the best result. Good luck hope it works out.

  9. #34
    Interesting:

    I spent all day working on my expired workstation. I pulled off all of the bling plastic and exposed the working parts. I removed the radiator from the chassis and pulled the fans from the radiator. I deep cleaned the fans and radiator, then re-assembled them into the box. I checked all of the external power switches and fan adjustment sliders, cleaning everything meticulously.

    While I had the radiator out I closely checked the eight pin CPU power connector on the MoBo. On this board there are issues with heat damage reported, but I found everything to be fine on the old power supply. I triple checked all of the main power connections i.e. MoBO, CPU, GPU and externals. Then I went around and triple checked every connection on the MoBp to the various fans, headers, SATA etc. I hyper cleaned the entire box including all of the cables and shielded cables etc., then I plugged in the main power supply.

    Here's the funny part... I was re-installing the external bling plastic to the front and top of the unit. As I was snapping down the top piece, I depressed the start button by accident.

    The machine powered up!

    I didn't have the screen connected, but by sound I could hear the machine searching for it's boot sequence. At this point I shut the machine down because I had removed the CPU heat sink during the inspection and need to clean the CPU & heat sink and re-apply thermal paste. I did, however, hook up the screen and attempt a short boot sequence to enter the BIOS. The monitor was not receiving any data via the HDMI 3 cable, and showed no connection. I checked the monitor to make sure it was pointed to HDMI 3, it was.

    I thought it may be the GPU, so I switched out the GTX 1080 TI to my GTX 780 TI. Same result with both cards, so I put the 1080 back into the tower.

    With my limited expertise I am leaning to the conclusion that it is the MoBo that has failed. All of the components including the video cards are spooling up, fans turning and lights blinking...just no output to the monitor.

    At this point I'm still looking at the system update/rebuild.
    Last edited by gman5250; February 13th, 2019 at 13:58.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

    Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

  10. #35
    Have you tried a different cable for the monitor ?

  11. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Penzoil3 View Post
    Have you tried a different cable for the monitor ?
    I've got a couple of HDMI 3 cables and used both. I didn't try alternate cable types, but I think the cables are fine.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

    Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

  12. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by gman5250 View Post
    I've got a couple of HDMI 3 cables and used both. I didn't try alternate cable types, but I think the cables are fine.
    How about the monitor itself? Have you tried another?

  13. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by gman5250 View Post
    Interesting:

    I spent all day working on my expired workstation. I pulled off all of the bling plastic and exposed the working parts. I removed the radiator from the chassis and pulled the fans from the radiator. I deep cleaned the fans and radiator, then re-assembled them into the box. I checked all of the external power switches and fan adjustment sliders, cleaning everything meticulously.

    While I had the radiator out I closely checked the eight pin CPU power connector on the MoBo. On this board there are issues with heat damage reported, but I found everything to be fine on the old power supply. I triple checked all of the main power connections i.e. MoBO, CPU, GPU and externals. Then I went around and triple checked every connection on the MoBp to the various fans, headers, SATA etc. I hyper cleaned the entire box including all of the cables and shielded cables etc., then I plugged in the main power supply.

    Here's the funny part... I was re-installing the external bling plastic to the front and top of the unit. As I was snapping down the top piece, I depressed the start button by accident.

    The machine powered up!

    I didn't have the screen connected, but by sound I could hear the machine searching for it's boot sequence. At this point I shut the machine down because I had removed the CPU heat sink during the inspection and need to clean the CPU & heat sink and re-apply thermal paste. I did, however, hook up the screen and attempt a short boot sequence to enter the BIOS. The monitor was not receiving any data via the HDMI 3 cable, and showed no connection. I checked the monitor to make sure it was pointed to HDMI 3, it was.

    I thought it may be the GPU, so I switched out the GTX 1080 TI to my GTX 780 TI. Same result with both cards, so I put the 1080 back into the tower.

    With my limited expertise I am leaning to the conclusion that it is the MoBo that has failed. All of the components including the video cards are spooling up, fans turning and lights blinking...just no output to the monitor.

    At this point I'm still looking at the system update/rebuild.
    IMHO it is indeed the MoBo that has failed.

    Pity that you can't try out the GTX1080TI on another rig to be absolutely sure. But the fact that the 780TI didn't function either is a good sign!

    Keep us posted mate!

    Priller

  14. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by PHo17 View Post
    How about the monitor itself? Have you tried another?
    Monitor is good. I can plug the old MacBook in through the mini/HDMI cable.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

    Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

  15. #40

  16. #41

  17. #42
    Update:

    I have ordered all of the parts for the rebuild. The MoBo and M.2 SSD have been delivered. The CPU will arrive in two days, the rest of the parts will be here in a bit over a week.

    I'm detailing the box, getting everything squeaky clean for the new build. Hopefully, I'll be back up and running with no issues.

    New Parts for the new build.


    ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard

    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813119151

    Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (5.0 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series)
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16819117957

    CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820236454

    SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 2280 1TB SATA III V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820147678

    Cooler Master MasterAir Maker 8 High-end CPU air cooler
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16835103208

    CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 CP-9020140-NA 1200W ATX12V v2.4
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16817139205
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

    Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

  18. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by gman5250 View Post
    Update:

    I have ordered all of the parts for the rebuild. The MoBo and M.2 SSD have been delivered. The CPU will arrive in two days, the rest of the parts will be here in a bit over a week.

    I'm detailing the box, getting everything squeaky clean for the new build. Hopefully, I'll be back up and running very soon.



    New Parts for the new build.


    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813119151

    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16819117957

    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820236454

    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820147678

    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16835103208

    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16817139205


    So what kind of keyboard you using? Corsair mech RGB cherry MX Browns?
    "Radial engines don't leak oil....they're just marking their territory"

  19. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    So what kind of keyboard you using? Corsair mech RGB cherry MX Browns?
    Right now a POS Microsoft Wireless 5000. When I recover from the build, I'll move to a mechanical gaming board.
    I'm also using a Wacom Intuos Pro pad for much of my touch control/gesture interface.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

    Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

  20. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by gman5250 View Post
    Update:

    I have ordered all of the parts for the rebuild. The MoBo and M.2 SSD have been delivered. The CPU will arrive in two days, the rest of the parts will be here in a bit over a week.

    I'm detailing the box, getting everything squeaky clean for the new build. Hopefully, I'll be back up and running with no issues.

    New Parts for the new build.


    ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard

    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813119151

    Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (5.0 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series)
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16819117957

    CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820236454

    SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 2280 1TB SATA III V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820147678

    Cooler Master MasterAir Maker 8 High-end CPU air cooler
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16835103208

    CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 CP-9020140-NA 1200W ATX12V v2.4
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16817139205
    That and your GTX1080TI tells me that you won't just be up and running, but scorching!!

    Priller

  21. #46
    Hey Gordon,

    Any news on the arrival of the parts? Or are you so busy building now that you don't have the time to respond? Hope so!!

    Cheers mate,

    Priller

  22. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Hey Gordon,

    Any news on the arrival of the parts? Or are you so busy building now that you don't have the time to respond? Hope so!!

    Cheers mate,

    Priller
    The parts should be here by this afternoon. Everything else is ready, the box and cables are detailed and waiting for the install. Hopefully I should be up and running tonight. I'll update the post when that happens.

    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

    Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

  23. #48
    When testing a monitor there are 2 things you need to do.
    Try the problem one on a different computer....you did that.
    The other is to try a different monitor on your computer. Did you do that? ...

  24. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    When testing a monitor there are 2 things you need to do.
    Try the problem one on a different computer....you did that.
    The other is to try a different monitor on your computer. Did you do that? ...
    I don't have a second monitor so I wasn't able to test for that. Same for the HDMI 3 cable. The monitor does power up and let me search the options built into the onboard chip. My VGA cable doesn't fit the 1080 TI, but I still have the GTX 780 so I can swap that out to test the monitor if necessary. The new MoBo has onboard video via HDMI so I can test video without a GPU if I have to.

    The build will be a straight up assembly. All of the cables are routed and cable management is complete. First boot will be straight into the UEFI with only the onboard M.2 active. If I get a screen there I'll be doing back flips! The rest is straight up. Once I install the new OS I'll plug in the other drives and set up the drive management I'll be able to access the sim and retrieve the data from my old OS.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

    Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

  25. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by gman5250 View Post
    I don't have a second monitor so I wasn't able to test for that. Same for the HDMI 3 cable. The monitor does power up and let me search the options built into the onboard chip. My VGA cable doesn't fit the 1080 TI, but I still have the GTX 780 so I can swap that out to test the monitor if necessary. The new MoBo has onboard video via HDMI so I can test video without a GPU if I have to.

    The build will be a straight up assembly. All of the cables are routed and cable management is complete. First boot will be straight into the UEFI with only the onboard M.2 active. If I get a screen there I'll be doing back flips! The rest is straight up. Once I install the new OS I'll plug in the other drives and set up the drive management I'll be able to access the sim and retrieve the data from my old OS.
    Gordon,

    Check your mail mate!

    Priller

Members who have read this thread: 289

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •