FSX/P3D Douglas C-47 Skytrain with classic GCA.zip

Thread: FSX/P3D Douglas C-47 Skytrain with classic GCA.zip

FSX/P3D Douglas C-47 Skytrain with classic GCA.zip

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category P3D / P4D Add-Ons - Military aircraft

Description: This is a standalone airplane folder containing a new version of the FSX/P3D 'Modern VC' Skytrain. It comes with two experimental gauges that provide basic GCA (Ground Controlled Approach) services - Approach Pattern Control and final Precision Approach Radar (PAR). You can request Pattern Control from 15 to 30 miles out. The Controller will speak to you and set you up for a downwind, dogleg, or straight-in approach leading to a point eight miles from the runway at the correct altitude for intercepting the glideslope. At the intercept, the Precision Approach Controller will take over and talk you down to the runway threshold. The two processes can be run in auto or in manual mode, the monitoring panels can be enabled or disabled, and autopilot assistance can be turned on or off. As a consequence, exciting realism challenges are possible, including hands-on approaches flown in proverbial pea-soup weather. The project is hugely indebted to Karol Chlebowski's powerful AILA (Airborne Instrument Landing Approach) gauge, adapted by permission of the author, and Doug Dawson's equally powerful sound DLL gauge. The package includes a revised interior model and a classic Airways and Air Communications Service (AACS) livery by Manfred Jahn, a historical account of GCA by Tom Harnish, and a six-page PDF manual. For a brief preview, see Tom's W.I.P. video at https://youtu.be/w0ch4W26eYw.

If desired, the model and panel folders can be merged into a previous MVC Skytrain installation.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit FSX/P3D Douglas C-47 Skytrain with classic GCA.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Shirt video tutorial

Short (3 minute) tutorial now on YouTube

https://youtu.be/gTIC7oV_-Fw

Long GCA video Tutorial

A longer (10-minute) GCA tutorial is available now on YouTube

https://youtu.be/MkCGDW1idm8

Includes chart depicting acceptable distances, and "play by play" of approach and GCA process.

Well I suppose it is better than a video about a shirt Tom!!!!!!

Send reinforcements we're going to advance.
    Send three and fourpence we're going to a dance.

Cheers Chris

A very good piece of work.

I take it that you have to be on approach control freq for the particular airport, and have a mic/headset to use this?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    I take it that you have to be on approach control freq for the particular airport, and have a mic/headset to use this?
    You just need to be able to hear audio from the computer—speaker, headset, whatever. .no radio frequency required. After you pick the airport and runway from the Navigation panel with mouse clicks you simply click the APC button on the Monitor panel and from then on you follow the controllers instructions. For an authentic experience shut off the autopilot (z key), close the Monitor and Navigation 2D panels, fly using only the instruments and follow the controllers’ instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy70 View Post
    Well I suppose it is better than a video about a shirt Tom!!!!!!
    Oh good grief. For the life of me I couldn’t figure out what you were going on about. Then I saw topic headline. Shees. Sorry!.

Great to see it released!

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Thanks very much for the clarification!

Members who have read this thread: 2