Contrails?

Thread: Contrails?

Contrails?

Hi all,

I've reinstalled ETO 1.50 for the 30th time - or so it seems and I'm still having small glitches with the contrails.

Both my ETO and BoB installs have this contrails issue. I'm using the most recent effects.xml and the Jan. 2018 shaders package.

I've attached a picture showing what I mean. Anyone know of a fix or anything? I'm assuming it's something to do with the effects.xml.

Now, the altitiude in this picture was approximately 10,000 feet, where as looking at texturemagic.ini, the altitude for the contrails to appear looks to be closer to 25,000 feet.

Anyone know of a possible fix? My entries for the contrails in texture magic.ini are as follows:

[HighAltSprite]
    tr_condenstrail_basis1.dds=7500|500
    tr_condenstrail_basis2.dds=7500|500
    tr_condenstrail_basis3.dds= 2500|-1500

I looked in the effects/fxtextures folders and I noticed that the tr_condenstrail_basis3.dds file is not in there - at least not in my install.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cfs3 2019-01-26 15-48-35-28.jpg  
    :tgun2: :tgun2: M3 fAiL 3nglush thats umpossible!

You need to add another line in the texturemagic.ini for whatever texture is used by the contrail effect you are using. Or change the effect to one used by another aircraft that is working. The contrail that comes with the SJ Fw 190 will work for you based on what you have in your texturemagic file.

The effect you need looks like this:

<fx_high_contrail ClassName="GroupEffect" Effect0="high_contrail_1" Effect1="high_contrail_2" Effect2=""/>
    <high_contrail_1 ClassName="TrackEffect" FlatTrack="0" Lifetime="0" InitialDelay="0" ParticleLifetime="30" FadeInTime="5" FadeOutTime="25" PosX="0" PosY="-0.5" PosZ="0" CountSegments="2000" SegmentLength="12" Width="3.6" WidthGrow="1" InitialAlpha="0.0" InitialColor="255 255 255" Alpha="0.33" Color="255 255 255" FinalAlpha="0.0" FinalColor="222 222 255" BlendMode="QuadSprite" Texture="tr_condenstrail_basis1.dds" ZBias=".03"/>
    <high_contrail_2 ClassName="TrackEffect" FlatTrack="0" Lifetime="0" InitialDelay="0" ParticleLifetime="30" FadeInTime="5" FadeOutTime="25" PosX="0" PosY="0.5" PosZ="0" CountSegments="2743" SegmentLength="8.75" Width="3.6" WidthGrow="1" InitialAlpha="0.0" InitialColor="255 255 255" Alpha="0.33" Color="255 255 255" FinalAlpha="0.0" FinalColor="222 222 255" BlendMode="QuadSprite" Texture="tr_condenstrail_basis2.dds" ZBias=".03"/>

Make sure AnKor's shaders are actually turned on (Num Pad period key) or the altitude dependency will not work.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Got it figured out, thanks guys.
    :tgun2: :tgun2: M3 fAiL 3nglush thats umpossible!

It's been a while but as I am adding these to some aircraft, I also have contrails at 10K even with these settings

[HighAltSprite]
    tr_condenstrail_basis1.dds=6300|300
    tr_condenstrail_basis2.dds=6300|300
    vortice_low.dds=1400|-300
    vortice.dds=1400|-300

I was not aware that one had to "Make sure AnKor's shaders are actually turned on (Num Pad period key) or the altitude dependency will not work." In which case, when? and every time one starts CFS3?

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

The shaders should start as on by default.

There are older contrail effects in some aircraft that use a different dds file, and those won't be altitude dependent unless you add the reference to TextureMagic.ini.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

What are the latest dds files?

Any ones listed as [HighAltSprite].
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Steps to fix contrails:

1. In the xdp of the aircraft you are having trouble with, find what contrail effect is listed in the effects section of the xdp.

2. Find that contrail effect in your effects.xml by searching for the effect name.

3. There will be a .dds texture called for by that effect. Add a new line under the HighAltSprite section of the texturemagic.ini with the name of the textures you found in the effects.xml as such: YOUR_TEXTURE_NAME.dds=6300|300

ALTERNATIVE OPTION FOR STEP 3:

Replace the name of the .dds texture you found in the effects.xml with a texture that is already listed in the HighAltSprite section of the texturemagic.ini.

Thanks for that. I will give it a go tomorrow.

Members who have read this thread: 0