Mechanical Keyboard recommendation

Thread: Mechanical Keyboard recommendation

Mechanical Keyboard recommendation

I have tried a couple of mechanical keyboard with the blue switches and find they are noisy and discovered that there are quieter Brown and even more quieter red mechanical switches

I just tried out and returned to Amazon two mechanical keyboards with the blue switches and they are noisy; returned one with round retro keys (1st Player) and it too uses the blue switches.

I've learned a lot in last few days about these mechanical (gamer) keyboards and interested in hearing from anyone out there as to what they use and why they like it.

I've been using the old membrane silicone switch which is perfect for one in an office environment where typing on a quiet keyboard is expected.

I like these lighted mechanical keyboards that have a few program display patterns (rainbows to fade in out effects).

Would like to here from anyone who has a gamer style keyboard and why they like it or can recommend a good gamer keyboard (brown switch).

Thanks for your time.

I have a Corsair K68 with Cherry MX red switches. Typing with it is quiet, I also like the integrated media controls and the water intrusion protection. It also does have programmable RGB lighting with 3 brightness settings. However it also doesn't have the tactile feedback of a blue or brown switch, so it is easier to accidentally press an adjacent key. Watch your typing when signing into websites with limited password entries (i.e. banks).

I've also noticed when playing a driving game with the WASD keys such as Farming Simulator or American Truck Simulator, that when I gently rest my fingers on A and D, that I sometimes accidentally press one just enough to activate, causing an abrupt turn. For these reasons I would like to get another keyboard with more of a tactile switch when typing.

I guess it comes down to how loud of a keyboard you are willing to accept, and what its use will be. You also might try looking at Best Buy, I've seen displays for testing the different types of switches there.

Additional reading for those interested:
    https://www.pcgamer.com/best-mechani...es-for-gaming/

https://www.pcgamer.com/best-gaming-keyboards/

https://www.pcgamer.com/corsair-k68-...yboard-review/
    Derry Hoggatt
    2014-2017, 2019+ Around the World Race Team Outhouse

I also have the Corsair K68 keyboard but is the red LED version. Everything that P51FAN said above is spot on.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

I've used Corsairs for several years and my current one K70 RGB MK.2 SE is one of the best so far.
    Very easy to clean, Cherry MX Speed keys (1.2mm action), rear USB port and 8MB of profile storage.
    Not cheap but worth the price.
    I can never understand the concerns about 'noise', unless you're in an office who hears anything anyway, while the speed and precision of these Cherry MX keys is brilliant.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    I've used Corsairs for several years and my current one K70 RGB MK.2 SE is one of the best so far.
    Very easy to clean, Cherry MX Speed keys (1.2mm action), rear USB port and 8MB of profile storage.
    Not cheap but worth the price.
    I can never understand the concerns about 'noise', unless you're in an office who hears anything anyway, while the speed and precision of these Cherry MX keys is brilliant.
    I'm reviewing some utube vids on this board and I've seen them with the Cherry Reds and I understand they are quiet then say the blues or browns.
    How are the reds for just plain typing - are they too sensitive? I am on the fence for the Browns as they are quieter then the blues and have that tactile (bump)
    feel. I'm thinking the reds have similar feel to the membrane keyboards. Do the red switches make any click sound?
    Also, how would you rate the keys for stability? Any wobble in them?

Quote Originally Posted by P51FAN View Post
    I have a Corsair K68 with Cherry MX red switches. Typing with it is quiet, I also like the integrated media controls and the water intrusion protection. It also does have programmable RGB lighting with 3 brightness settings. However it also doesn't have the tactile feedback of a blue or brown switch, so it is easier to accidentally press an adjacent key. Watch your typing when signing into websites with limited password entries (i.e. banks).

I've also noticed when playing a driving game with the WASD keys such as Farming Simulator or American Truck Simulator, that when I gently rest my fingers on A and D, that I sometimes accidentally press one just enough to activate, causing an abrupt turn. For these reasons I would like to get another keyboard with more of a tactile switch when typing.

I guess it comes down to how loud of a keyboard you are willing to accept, and what its use will be. You also might try looking at Best Buy, I've seen displays for testing the different types of switches there.

Additional reading for those interested:
    https://www.pcgamer.com/best-mechani...es-for-gaming/

https://www.pcgamer.com/best-gaming-keyboards/

https://www.pcgamer.com/corsair-k68-...yboard-review/
    Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. I've heard that the cherry reds are quietest of all and perhaps have no tactile feel- more linear.

I have the Corsair K70. It is cherry something and quite quiet and pleasant to use. Very robust. Also has a very convenient USB port in the back. Had it several years now. No issues.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

I went with the CORSAIR K70 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - USB Passthrough & Media Controls - Tactile & Quiet - Cherry MX Brown
    From AMAZON.
    I will be switching over to a new rig in a day or so and Win 10. Hopefully, I can get the volume/media controls mapped to WIN 10.

Thanks for all for your replies - I think I will enjoy this KB.

OOOooooh fancy! They have changed the K70 since I bought mine, my keys are only red back-lit. I feel so impoverished now.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Members who have read this thread: 0