Alton Bay ice airport opens

Thread: Alton Bay ice airport opens

Alton Bay ice airport opens

I just read that Alton Bay Seaplane Base in New Hampshire is now open as an ice airport (the only charted one), and, ice willing, it will be until March 15th. I did a quick look to see if anyone had recreated this as an ice airport and didn't find one. It might be kind of fun and different.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0123_alton_bay_01.jpg  

Very cool, thanks for posting!

I could swear either I created one or I found one. I'll take a look and see if I can find it.

I did a quick look to see if anyone had recreated this as an ice airport and didn't find one.
    https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...ens-for-season

You read my mind! I just saw the article in the weekly AOPA emailer and wondered the exact same thing.

Same as you, my search of Google and the usual FS sites using variations of 'B18 Alton Bay' revealed nothing in terms of scenery. I did find an old Avsim forum post from waaaay back in 2006 from someone who was looking for beta testers for a scenery pack they were working on that included B18...but nothing beyond that single post.
    -Mark

That would be awesome! I flew in there years ago in an Aeronca Champ 7DC...………...

I'm not sure if you can make an "ice" runway in FSX or an icey hard surface runway laid over the water.

I am pretty sure that 'ice' is an allowed surface type for runways in FS.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Ice Is OK

I just opened up a little airport in ADE176 just to see what surfaces are allowed for a runway and ICE is there as a choice so go for it. I'll be watching this thread. What lands on it skis?

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    I just opened up a little airport in ADE176 just to see what surfaces are allowed for a runway and ICE is there as a choice so go for it. I'll be watching this thread. What lands on it skis?
    Skis or wheels. Remember the braking action is minimal to none. Had an adventure in Antarctica when a/c at rest would blow off the runway.
    Floats work ok in RL too

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

I made a quick and dirty Alton Bay Airport. The only real issue is that in FSX the difference between snow and ice is so slight that you can barely see the runway while sitting on it.

Also to the point about breaking effectiveness should be added that this one is relatively short at 2730'.

Nice place for a plane with an effective Beta
    THAT'S some good braking! Otherwise, you have to just watch how far you will travel with power off, and plan stops, turns, etc accordingly.
    And watch those winds!!

Have fun, all!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

SOH-CM-2023
    Alton Bay is fairly close to me (if three hours drive is close) and I've been by there in the summer. I would assume that in the winter they fly Cubs and maybe 185's out of there
    You can't take the sky from me...

Pictures I've seen show a Bonanza and a pressurized Cessna possibly a 210.

Quote Originally Posted by johannesl View Post
    I'm not sure if you can make an "ice" runway in FSX or an icey hard surface runway laid over the water.
    It was done by few people designing add ons for ice runways on any lake for FSX.

Also, you can land on FROZEN lakes in Orbx sceneries for FSX.

Regards,

Aharon

Members who have read this thread: 0