Leatherneck F4U-D Corsair
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leatherneck F4U-D Corsair

Leatherneck F4U-D Corsair

Leatherneck has given an update on WIP Corsair

F4U-1D Corsair

So we’re pretty sure you’re ready to have your Mk II Eyeballs cringe with excitement, and have mentioned for months the Whistling Death is going through texture conversion for physically based rendered textures. Our artist has almost completed retexturing of all enclosed or hard to access parts and objects, after that he will proceed with the large airframe areas. This should take far less time, after which we can move on to cockpit retexturing. Hopefully, by the time we post our next update, we will be able to show you a complete or near complete external model. Below, is our work in progress sneak peeks, but do keep in mind they are WIP and not finalized.

Patrick

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Thank you, Patrick, wonderful news!

Couple New Shots Popped Up on LN FB Page…

960×540 132 KB

Patrick

A few new screenshots along with a general company update.
    http://leatherneck-sim.com/2019/10/2...BOlshMUEZ_EhdI

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F4U-1D_001.jpg   F4U-1D_002.jpg  

Patrick

***From Leatherneck's FB Page***

What could it mean???

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 75233847_2395302964025701_301609723264761856_n.jpg  

Patrick

Looks like an Essex Class Carrier in the distance!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wow...Can you imagine trapping in a F4U on a WWII Carrier in DCS??.....My imagination is going Bonkers!!!

Patrick

Unfortunately there is no Pacific map yet so our imagination will need to run really wild with the ones we have now.

Good stuff regardless.

All I have heard is that there are two new WW2 maps in build but beyond that, no specific word on the locations. I suspect a Pacific Map and maybe a Central Europe Map. As far as a Pacific Map, the question would be which area which would be theme & time based. There were many large scale air and island battles from 1942-45.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Some clips from weekend Demo

Patrick

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1175x709.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1280x634.

Patrick

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 79315310_2544544112432168_7136780785910022144_o.jpg  

Patrick

Very nice! Really stoked about the Corsair and Essex Class. I will be reliving my old and excitement from the days of watching Baa Baa Black Sheep while flying this model around. I also am super stoked about the F-8 Crusader. I have been hoping for a good quality F-8 for years. Maybe during that development there will be an Essex Class Carrier developed with the SCB-125 update so we can have a USS Oriskany or USS Bon Homme Richard, etc.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

For the eagle-eyed among us, you'll notice that this is based on the same model that we've seen a number of times before, that was made by Kevin "Gibbage" Miller years ago. It was first released as the Aircraft Factory F4U-1A/F4U-1D/F4U-1C for FSX, then the greatly updated and enhanced Milviz "FG-1D" version for P3D, then the Aerofly FS 2 version (which, other than the 4-bladed prop and gunsight glass, is almost unchanged from the Aircraft Factory version), and now this version for DCS.

In the Christmas update, I really like the model updates they're doing, but I'm a bit concerned about how they are portraying the parts with the salmon-colored primer (even if only as basic material color/not textures). It is true that Vought used that red-tinted zinc chromate in early Corsair production, but by the time of F4U-1D production, that had been long done away with in favor of just raw (yellow) zinc chromate (with the cockpit painted interior green and the wheel wells painted whatever color the bottom of the center section of the wings were).

Interesting. I thought the two models looked a good bit similar but until now didn't know they were in fact from the same original source. It's hard for me to keep track of such things and obviously many such business moves/details are not public. I knew the RAZBAM Harrier and M2M Mirage 2000C were cross-overs from their FSX counter-parts. Hands down, they are better in DCS (especially the Harrier).

For me personally, when it comes to single cockpit high performance aircraft models, I prefer the feel and graphic level plus FPS performance/smoothness of DCS over P3Dv4.5 and my now retired FSX Gold copy and addon models. With my current setup, I get a solid 60FPS with only 3 to 4 FPS drop variable and if I make some adjustments, I can get 100 FPS solid with some graphic degradation. At the best setting with 60FPS, DCS looks absolutely perfect.

For all other Flight Sim work, I use P3Dv4.5 which my current presets for it run high end models and scenery at 30 to 50 FPS (depending on objects and weather).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

***Update***

Chance-Vought F4U-1D Corsair

Our development of the F4U-1D Corsair continues. After VFAT, there was an extensive improvements to the airframe’s 3d model, while at the same time adding the final elements of the onboard equipment within the cockpit. Recently our coder has implemented the radio equipment, which we have described in one of the previous updates. Within the limits of the DCS World environment, we took an effort to implement a Ye/Zb radio navigation system used by U.S. aircraft during WW2 as means to navigate to the desired aircraft carrier, and later to airfields.

As we’ve mentioned a few months ago, our intention is to deliver the F4U-1D not only as a module but as an entire package containing a few more features, including an aircraft carrier and Ai units. Exact contents are not decided yet and they depend on many things, but apart from the Essex Class Aircraft Carrier we’ve been working on some ground units to build a very basic environment for the F4U-1D. A variety of such assets include the Japanese Type 89, Type 95 and Type 97 tanks, Type 94 truck (in a few versions) and the 25 mm Type 96 gun, 75 mm Type 88 cannons. A complete package of contents will be disclosed closer to the release date!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F4U-1D_001.jpg   F4U-1D_002.jpg   Essex_001.jpg   Essex_002.jpg   Essex_003.jpg   Essex_004.jpg  

Patrick

***Christmas Update***

http://leatherneck-sim.com/2020/12/22/christmas-update/

2020 Christmas Update

Dear Pilots,

As the end of 2020 draws near, there are many things we would like to tell and show you. A lot has happened this year and it certainly was one of the most unusual years in our lifetime. It affected all of us in numerous ways that changed our initial plans drawn at the beginning of it. However, as 2020 fades away, we look into the future with confidence and hope that this experience made us stronger and will allow us to move forward with greater dedication to the projects that are ahead of us. And this would not be possible without your support!
    So before we shut the door on 2020 and meet with our families for Christmas, our team would like to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! We hope you and your families will enjoy the Holiday season and look forward to a great new year!

Starting with F4U-1D Corsair, we are happy to report that the module is in its final stages of development. Most of the artwork and system programming is nearing completion, while flight model and engine operation are in process of tuning and testing. A set of missions and campaign are also planned and will be done in cooperation with the renowned and talented campaign creator Reflected Simulations!

Patrick

We’d like to apologize in advance, if we have gotten our fans hopes up on a 2020 release. Quite honestly we were not happy with how the ole Whistling Death was looking. So after VFAT 2020, it was decided to completely remodel the external model and give it fresh textures; along with updating the cockpit as seen in previous news posts. Our research department made great strides in acquiring manufacture schematics that allowed our artist to model a more accurate airframe. We’re sure it’ll bring joy to those that love to get up and close while viewing in F2 mode.

Lighting has definitely been a mixed bag of bulbs as Eagle Dynamics improves their environment graphics code. But so far, our artist has found a nice balance that shouldn’t blind the pilot during the day.
    The cockpit lighting is very unique compared to most modern aircraft. The precision instruments were doused with a radioluminescent paint, that when a fluorescent light or ultraviolet light shined on it, would cause the painted areas to glow.
    The Corsair is equipped with four AN-3038-1 Ultraviolet lamps. The nomenclature is sort of misleading as the lamps actually have standard halogen bulbs. The lense of the lamps are able to rotate that switch between a indigo blue and clear filter. The “Ultraviolet” filter will cause the gauges to glow brighter, but when the light is switched off or changed to a clear filter, the instruments glow effect will gradually fade away!
    Another unique system, is that formation lights during WW2 were usually blue. The Corsair has two of them with one on each of the top side of the wing. Recognition lights are also in working order allowing any type of communication protocols. Other than the approach light, all light have a steady and flashing mode.

Patrick

The Tiny Tim rocket is what happens when resources are low and a weapon is needed to combat enemy ships’ heavy anti-aircraft batteries that stood in the way of bombers and attackers. The diameter of 11.75 inches came from using unused oil refinery field piping that engineers saw was perfect for fitting the 500 pounds semi-armour piercing bomb.
    To fit the rocket onto the Corsair and not damage it, engineers attached the fin assembly on backwards to clear the flaps. A lanyard was also attached from the rocket’s motor to the wing. The rocket was released like a bomb, and as the lanyard broke from the tension, the motor would fire off.
    Two liveries were created. Unfortunately at this time, we can only include one version. Help us make a decision by giving your vote on our strawpoll!

Patrick

New Pic
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	orz1108axv371.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	83119

Patrick

Weekend News

Dear Fighter Pilots, Partners and Friends,

Our Summer Sale is in full swing and we are thrilled to announce that the Steam sale is also live and will run until the 8th of July. Enjoy up to 50% discount on most of our modules and campaigns. Check them out.

Leatherneck Simulations have been working hard on their next aircraft, the DCS: F4U-D Corsair. Their current efforts are focused mostly on finalising the cockpit. Take a look at their development screenshots below.

Our partners at Heatblur Simulations have made notable progress to DCS: F-14A/B Tomcat. The latest Open Beta includes improved aircraft arresting physics and new carrier burble effects, bringing this fabulous aircraft one step closer to its final version.

We are pleased to announce that DCS: C-101 Aviojet by Aegres has moved to final release state. This module is feature complete and we encourage you to check out what Aegres Media has in store for you next. In Development Screenshots.

Thank you for your passion and support,

Yours sincerely,

Eagle Dynamics Team

DCS: F4U-D Corsair
    Development Report

The F4U-1 is one of the few aircraft without sidewalls and a floor. Because of this, many of the Corsair’s vital components are exposed. Using manufacture drawings and original aircraft as references, the vast majority of panels, cables, pipes, and switches have been recreated to a high degree of detail.

Each area has been checked in VR to ensure that nothing a pilot would see is missing. Updates and texture adjustments to the cockpit model are in final development.

Systems development is also largely completed. Hydraulics, electrics, and basic weapon systems are operational, and Leatherneck Simulations will continue to tune them as tests proceed. The AN/ARC-5 Radio and navigation equipment tests were completed earlier this spring.

The decision to add the AN/ARC-1 radio set is still pending. Smaller items such as the oxygen equipment and the emergency landing gear extension system are also work in progress.

The full inventory of British and U.S. weaponry will be presented closer to release. A number of stunning new features will make the DCS: F4U-1D Corsair truly unique.

Patrick

***Summer Update***
    Whistle While We Work

Dear Pilots,

Summer is right around the corner, and this seems to be the perfect opportunity to update you on our latest works and progress in module development. We have envisioned this to be a rather short update and as such it will primarily focus on the Corsair warbird, Essex class aircraft carrier and as cherry on top of the cake – a Crusader snippet. The scope of this update is dictated by the fact that the F4U-1D module occupies our attention almost exclusively.
    We wish you a warm and pleasant summer and without further ado, lets have a look what we have prepared for you!

Starting with F4U-1D Corsair, we are happy to report that the module is in its final stages of development. Most of the artwork and system programming is nearing completion, while the flight model and engine operation are in process of fine tuning and testing. A set of missions and a campaign are also planned and will be done in cooperation with the renowned and talented campaign creator Reflected Simulations!

For the past few months following our Christmas update, our artists have shifted their efforts towards improving the cockpit. The F4U-1 is one of the few aircraft lacking sidewalls and a floor. Because of this many of the Corsair’s vital components are exposed. Though time consuming, we have given this special attention utilizing original manufacture drawings and unrestored aircraft as references to recreate most of the panels, cables, pipes and switches. Each area was then checked within VR to ensure that nothing what a strapped in pilot would see, will be missing.
    Our team has settled on a modification designated MCR-600. This modification was a complete overhaul and simplification of the cockpit’s hydraulic system. Other changes not related to this MCR, include the following:

• Separate rocket firing button
    • 4 switch armament box on the right side dash that is tailored for Tiny Tim use.
    • Removal of the M-8 flair gun to help reduce toxic fumes getting into the cockpit through the firing tube.
    • Removal of the vapor dilution system, since there are no wing fuel tanks.
    • Removal of the carburetor choke lever.

Thus the update of the cockpit model and adjustment of the textures to fit new cockpit constitute the final chapter of aircraft art development.
    Items that will be modeled during Early Access include the armored glass and an adjustable Mk.8 gun sight.

Patrick

Members who have read this thread: 0