Early Boeing B17D Flying Fortress for Fs9
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Early Boeing B17D Flying Fortress for Fs9

Early Boeing B17D Flying Fortress for Fs9

Hi Folks,
    Started new thread, finally finished the B17D model!!...

With the testers, so not long before uploading (don't ask please! ).

Cheers

Shessi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B17D m1.jpg   B17D od1.jpg  

Blog Entries
    It looks great Shessi. Looking forward to flying my favorite Fortress. Thank you for the update.

Members +
    Much appreciated.
    I'm sure that there are many waiting this release.

B17D cockpit

Hi Shessi,
    in my unfinished projects are still a cockpit for the early B-17 variants.
    I never finished it as I was not shure that they represented really the early layout.
    can you provide me some docs, interior views of the early b-17 models?
    Yours
    Papi

Sweet!

I'm especially pleased to see a pre-camo version.

This will very nicely fill the gap between Paul Clawson's YB-17 and the big-tailed wartime versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    Hi Folks,
    With the testers, so not long before uploading (don't ask please! ).
    When will it be up....oh.
    Seriously,WOW! Beautiful!!! Waiting patiently.

Joel

What a beauty - looking forward to this one.

Many thanks
    The grass is always greener on the other side...

But, it's just as hard to mow!

Folks,
    Just uploaded to SOH.

Here ya go....http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum....php?catid=205

Cheers

Shessi

Thanks Shessi!

Huub

This one takes some finesse, not to mention skill. She's a challenge to get off the ground but once in the air... what a beauty. Thanks Shessi and all involved for this superb representation of the B-17 in it's early years.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Looked at the link given and wwII props and didn't see it. Am I missing something?

Blog Entries
    Now it's there JJ. Thanks Shessi.

Thank you Shessi!!!

Joel

It wasn't up when I first looked Hurricane91 thought my old eyes were going out! Looks good Shessi off to give it a test flight...

Excellent!

Thank you!

Thx again Shessi.

Sweet lookin bird.

Cheers mav

Cheers guys!

Well many thanks to the defunct FDG2 team coz it wouldn't be here without them..and thanks to Jamie (JDT) who had the GMAX source files buried deep in a dusty HDD...

Hi Mav, good to see you about

Cheers

Shessi

Took her for a spin last night, looks and flies great. Well done Shessi and crew!!

I may have to take some time from our current project to paint some pre-war skins for this beautiful bird.

Army airplanes of that time tended to look an awful lot alike (unlike the Navy, where no two planes of the same type
    in the fleet were painted the same) but there were a few differences among some planes. And since Shessi has done the basic background colors and the national insignia, all it will require is some markings changes and perhaps the addition of a unit insignia. We'll see what might be done.

Speaking of unit markings, for those interested in such matters, the olive drab plane in the download belonged to the 7th Bombardment Group, based at Hamilton Field, northern California in late 1941 (after having been at March Field in southern California for many years.) The silver bird belonged to the 30th Bombardment Squadron, 19th Bombardment Group, based at Clark Field, PI, at the time of the Japanese attack.

Thanks for the info Mick. Gives me an approx. place to start some flights.

The 'Swoose' should be a contender.......maybe.........historic aircraft etc.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    The 'Swoose' should be a contender.......maybe.........historic aircraft etc.
    The Swoose wore quite a few liveries during its long service life, initially in the Southwest Pacific but mostly in Panama.

If you want it in its earliest look, simply delete the number from the fin on Shessi's silver skin. Just plain natural metal with American national insignia (and the rudder markings were part of the national insignia.) It almost certainly had the standard U.S. Army titles under the wings, but you can get those from one of my skins (probably available later today or maybe tomorrow.) (I think the 19th BG skin in the download maybe should have that feature too, but I'm not certain.)

The next step was almost certainly to paint out the rudder stripes and the red centers on the star insignia, and to apply a coat of olive drab over neutral gray camo, probably done at the same time and probably pretty soon after the plane reached Australia. But I don't know about other markings at that time.

When it was based in Panama the Swoose served as a VIP transport for high ranking officers and flew many diplomatic missions around the Caribbean, Central and South America. On the nose it acquired a large and extensive flag panel to display the many countries it visited, much like the one seen on US Air Force Thunderbirds demo team aircraft and probably the inspiration for it. That flag panel could be painted from available flag images IF one could figure out what flags to use and where they went on the panel, and if one was utterly compulsive and had lots of time on one's hands. Maybe we could substitute a Thunderbirds flag panel - they look identical as ling as the resolution isn't high enough to show clearly all those European flags on the Thunderbirds' version.

T
    here was also a piece of artwork over the rear entry door that depicted the cartoon "Swoose" that the plane was named after. I don't know about the Swoose artwork, where to get a good image of it or when it was first painted on the plane. . And I'm not sure about other markings during that period.

There is a series of articles in issues of the American Aviation Historical Society's Journal about he history of the various American air bases in the Panama Canal Zone and one of them had pictures of the Swoose. I don't know what the chances are of me finding those articles, and if I did, I don't know of there are any shots of the entire plane. I will look for the articles but maybe not today. And Mr. Google could probably help find images of such a famous plane.

Question

I'm looking for a fact and an opinion.

The fact: can someone confirm or refute my suspicion that this Fortress I wouldn't have had any roundels under the wings? The photo was probably taken in 1941. There is another photo that shows the wing bottoms and they seem to look bare, but dark shadow makes it impossible to really tell.

The opinion: does anyone agree with my interpretation that the rudder of this plane looks like it might be roundel red? Or does anyone actually know the color?

Hi Mick,

The RAF standard for the time included underwing marks.
    If that's a pre delivery shot, then they would be there,
    would help if there was a location and better shot of serial number.

Ttfn

Pete

Members who have read this thread: 1