What the Hawker Typhoon was really like...

Thread: What the Hawker Typhoon was really like...

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries

What the Hawker Typhoon was really like...

Some facts about the Hawker Typhoon. Sorry to burst any bubbles.... https://warfarehistorynetwork.com/da...hters-in-wwii/

Blog Entries
    Where as a much better Fighter/Bomber/Interceptor would be the Hawker Tempest Which was to be called the Typhoon II but the changes made were so drastic it was renamed the Tempest. A short summary here : https://www.militaryfactory.com/airc...ircraft_id=565 Hawker redeemed itself with this fabulous design. One of those almost forgotten fighters that played a important role in WWII , even if it came late.

LOL I wouldn't take any historical info from War Thunder, yea the Typhoon was rubbish as a fighter, but more than made up for it in the ground attack mode, one of the very best in that role!
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

Blog Entries
    You are probably right . A better review would be here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Typhoon Still shows problems but in a better light of the facts. Still the Tempest was a much better solution. Later engine development and airframe improvements made the Typhoon better, it still is considered a failure in a lot of respects IMO. Snaking is also a feature not covered in CFS3 in respect to the Typhoon handling.

The Tempest was a much later, and much improved aeroplane, and certainly a very good fighter, but I still say the Typhoon, with all it's faults, including trying to kill it's pilot with engine fumes lol, did the ground attack role better than most aircraft in that class in that time period.
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

Blog Entries
    I think you are correct in that role.

Blog Entries
    At least the Typhoon could carry tons of armament and was fast as a spotted ape ! I think the P-47 beat it in every way though and was way more rugged but for the time period it came out there was little to compare the Typhoon to. I think it pushed the boundaries as far as they could with it's design and that is why it took so long to get it "right",so to speak. The Tempest II was the pinnacle of single prop aircraft but the jets would soon make it a thing of the past. Regards,Scott

I’d recommend a book by a Typhoon pilot for a warts and all view of the Typhoon - Brotherhood of the Skies by David Ince. He flew Tiffies until the end of the war and describes in detail how useful, reliable and feared they were in service. It’s easy to point a finger at early difficulties - even the P-47 was a rubbish dogfighter until its pilots learned to fly it effectively in boom-and-zoom style instead of a turning fight.
    Last edited by hairyspin; January 24th, 2019 at 09:25.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Blog Entries
    Like i already said i think they were pushing the boundaries as far as they could and that is why there were teething troubles with the Typhoon. All aircraft have shortcomings or compromises and the Typhoon wasn't immune. It did find a perfect role as ground support and ground attack. German armor units feared them probably more than the IL-2. They could attack and then speed away. The sound of it's engine is one of the best piston engine sounds there is ! Just a opinion and that's all it is. Thanks for the plug on the book.Maybe then i'll learn more on this aircraft as i've always heard bad about it. Will look it up. Regards,Scott

Re Typhoons "The Day of the Typhoon"

Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings5859 View Post
    Like i already said i think they were pushing the boundaries as far as they could and that is why there were teething troubles with the Typhoon. All aircraft have shortcomings or compromises and the Typhoon wasn't immune. It did find a perfect role as ground support and ground attack. German armor units feared them probably more than the IL-2. They could attack and then speed away. The sound of it's engine is one of the best piston engine sounds there is ! Just a opinion and that's all it is. Thanks for the plug on the book.Maybe then i'll learn more on this aircraft as i've always heard bad about it. Will look it up. Regards,Scott
    For further great reading-try "The Day of the Typhoon" by John Golley, and published by Airlife Publishing Ltd. John Golley was a Typhoon pilot with the R.A.F. in Normandy, and it covers mainly tank-busting in that area covering the first six weeks after "D" day, both in the air and life on the ground. For those who like odd looking aircraft, try "Barracuda Pilot" by Dunstan Hadley, Fleet Air Arm pilot, with the R.N.-also published by Airlife, very enlightening!

Just one more observation: when the Luftwaffe were sending Fw190s on tip & run raids across the Channel before D-Day they were vulnerable to being caught at low level by faster aircraft, whether they had dropped their bombs or not. The standard tactic when bounced was full throttle and hope to get away home. Which British 400mph-capable (at low level) aircraft did they fear? That’s right...
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

The Typhoon was definitely a lousy aircraft. I'm quite sure the Germans hated it

Cheers,
    Huub

Blog Entries
    Got enough interested to finally install the SJ Typhoon package in my ETO install. Never was too interested in ground attack till now. Will give it a try and see. Regards,Scott

For sure it was a difficult one to fly. Being a young boy of 18 years old facing a wall of flak in the seat of such a beast must have been one of the most frightening experience. And the losses speek for themselves, the fighter-bomber role has been one of the most dangerous task at any stage of the war and whatever the aircraft was (from Fairey Battle or Breguet 693 to the Il2 or Typhoon).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www3.telus.net/murrdaka/

Blog Entries
    Installed the SJ Typhoon package in my ETO install and tested. WOW !! Really fast at low level and talk about firepower ! I see why they were feared so much now. Need much practice at ground attack but seems worthwhile.Thanks for the education on what a truly wonderful warplane the Typhoon really is. Will be ground pounding for a while now ! Cheers,Scott

SOH-CM-2020

Typoon the worst fighter?

Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings5859 View Post
    Some facts about the Hawker Typhoon. Sorry to burst any bubbles.... https://warfarehistorynetwork.com/da...hters-in-wwii/
    The article starts with "The Hawker Typhoon 1A & 1B: Worst RAF Fighters in WWII?" - so the website is asking us to seriously consider that the Typhoon is worse than the Boulton-Paul Defiant or the Gloster Gladiator?

Read no further in the article folks and you'll be spared the editorial mistakes, spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, factual errors and plainly bizarre claims it contains.

sixstrings5859 - I hope you don't think I'm getting at you here, I'm definitely not, it is the warefarehistorynetwork website that I'm getting at! I see you've had fun with the Typhoon now anyway, good on you for having an open mind.

BTW: before anyone asks, no I don't dislike the Gladiator (nor the Defiant for that matter), I love them - a highlight of a summer here in England can be to go the Shuttleworth Collection air shows and see an original Gladiator airborne, so beautiful and what an interesting sound it makes!

Cheers,

SW

Blog Entries
    Really liking the Typhoon. Nothing from it's time period compares. Tried it out on one of my IL-2 '46 installs and it is great there also. A lot to love about this aircraft. Thanks for steering me in the right direction. Enjoy ground pounding now! Cheers,Scott

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Blog Entries
    Very good video. Thanks for sharing. Seemed to be honest and liked the accounts from the actual pilots. Didn't know the tail problem persisted the entire production run.

Members who have read this thread: 1