|instruction videos after XP?

Thread: |instruction videos after XP?

|instruction videos after XP?

I know this topic has been broached on other sites but I have never come across a resolution. Regarding the, in-game videos, in FS2004, not working after Windows XP, my understanding is that it has to do with the version of windows media player, shipped with FS2004, being incompatible with later versions of Windows.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever found a work around? I am running Windows 7 64bit on my PC and Windows Vista 32bit on my laptop. No joy getting the videos to display on either.
    "There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"
    — Douglas Adams, 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'

In Game Video in FS2004

Hi,
    I believe your solution is to get FSRecorder. It works well with sim and windows. You can use it's 'Instant Replay' to playback flight. It will not save video. It only plays it. There is where FRAPS comes in. You record your footage with FRAPS. It is payware but inexpensive for what it does (which is A LOT - and does it well).

OR...You can do a FSRecorder 'Instant Replay' and in Menu choose 'Render' and FSRecorder will render (although it does it VERY s-l-o-w) your replay into a *.wmv file (ok for YouTube). It renders slowly but even if you are getting 15 fps it will 'effectively' render it a 30 fps which is neat.

Your choice which one to use. I like to try things so have done both FRAPS and FSRecorder videos. I prefer the FRAPS videos as they are 'ONE KEY' record start/stop. I use 'Insert' key (top row next to Delete key). Too easy. I have an i7 @ 3.5 Ghz processor, and Win 7 Pro 64 bit, but used to have a Celeron and Win XP and is when I used FSRecorder render feature. Good luck with project. Video making and editing can take a lot of hours to do (that's the 'rub) but I enjoy every minute of it. Cheers.
    Chuck B
    Napamule

PS: Since I got your attention: There is this 'substitute' for Windows Media Player (old and ugly! hehe). It's called 'Windows Media Player Classic' (it's FREE). I love this player. Modern. Latest codecs. Works perfect. Has slider (time) and click on screen with mouse to stop/start anytime. It shows the total time of video too (WM Player don't do that!). Also turn sound up/down with mouse wheel! Also it can play 100 (?) songs in a folder if you go to 'Play' (menu) and choose 'after playback' and then choose 'play next file in folder'. (WM Player don't do that either!). Here is link for download: https://media-player-classic.en.soft...oftonic-review .
    [SIGPIC]i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz, Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD-5700 1 Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Acer 23 in LCD, Windows XP SP2, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse[/SIGPIC]

Thanks for the response, but what I was, really, after was a way to get the instructional videos to play 'in-game'. I'm aware of media player classic. However, even with it installed trying to play the videos only results in the sim crashing.
    "There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"

Although I have never used it, I assume "fraps" can do the job...........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraps

Cheers,
    Huub

Members +
    I think that the actual issue is that the instruction videos from the lessons are not being played?

The problem is not trying to play back recorded flights, so Fraps nor FSRecorder will help.

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    I think that the actual issue is that the instruction videos from the lessons are not being played?

The problem is not trying to play back recorded flights, so Fraps nor FSRecorder will help.
    This is exactly the issue. I'm not trying to record flights. I only wish to view the videos (by John and Martha King) while FS9 is running.

This would appear to only be possible under Windows XP. I've seen this issue raised a few times over the years but have never come across a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by napamule View Post

PS: Since I got your attention: There is this 'substitute' for Windows Media Player (old and ugly! hehe). It's called 'Windows Media Player Classic' (it's FREE). I love this player. Modern. Latest codecs. Works perfect. Has slider (time) and click on screen with mouse to stop/start anytime. It shows the total time of video too (WM Player don't do that!). Also turn sound up/down with mouse wheel! Also it can play 100 (?) songs in a folder if you go to 'Play' (menu) and choose 'after playback' and then choose 'play next file in folder'. (WM Player don't do that either!). Here is link for download: https://media-player-classic.en.soft...oftonic-review .

I hope MS never discard Media player from Windows. I recently bought a Bose Soundtouch player for Xmas which relies upon WM Player to function. It is a brilliant piece of kit btw.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Arrowmaker,

Its a bit of a search but the video's can be found in various sub-folders in the /FlightSimulator 9/FSweb/Learning Center/ folder. You can open en view them with free "Media Player Classic" which can be downloaded at many places.

I hope this helps,

Cheers,
    Huub

Media Player Classic CAN'T play those files (*.wx, *.flt). Only FS9 can play those files. So...I would re-install FS9 (do 'Repair' when prompted) so it can install the dll's it needs for the Operating System you are currently using. It want to use Win XP (ie: Windows) dll's (they are no longer there). They got replaced by Windows 7 dll's. They would be in 'Windows\System 32' folder). OK? OK! That is the only thing that makes sense. No BIOS reset needed. No FS9.1 install. No FSUIPC involved. And not because you installed it to 'C\Program Files path. None of those. Just re-install FS9 over the FS9 you have so it can 're-do' the version of the dll files. Might work. Good luck.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    [SIGPIC]i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz, Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD-5700 1 Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Acer 23 in LCD, Windows XP SP2, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse[/SIGPIC]

You can easily play any of those videos directly from the FS folders using VLC media player. You can't play them from within FS itself as you suspected, not a way that I know of anyhow.

I am sorry, but you must of missed that the file type that FS9 uses to play the lesson, or saved flights, are *.flt and *.wx, which VLC CAN'T 'handle'. Only FS9 can 'handle' those 2 types of files. One is the 'flt' data (numbers - NO VIDEO) and the other is 'wx' data (also numbers - NO VIDEO). OK? OK! I believe that the 'problem' was him going from Win XP to Win 7 and just doing a copy of his FS9 install which (obviously) does not work due to 'A, B, C'. Re-Install has to be his only option. But I could be wrong. Maybe there is something else he forgot to tell us?
    Chuck B
    Napamule

I am sorry, but you must of missed that the file type that FS9 uses to play the lesson, or saved flights, are *.flt and *.wx, which VLC CAN'T 'handle'. Only FS9 can 'handle' those 2 types of files. One is the 'flt' data (numbers - NO VIDEO) and the other is 'wx' data (also numbers - NO VIDEO). OK? OK! I believe that the 'problem' was him going from Win XP to Win 7 and just doing a copy of his FS9 install which (obviously) does not work due to 'A, B, C'. Re-Install has to be his only option. But I could be wrong. Maybe there is something else he forgot to tell us?
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    Win 7 64bit. I'm not sure where you are getting your .flt and .wx information from.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FSVLC.jpg  

Hi Chuck,

As Mark already showed the video's are all in .wmv (Windows Media Video) format. What I understood from Arrowmaker is that he just wanted to watch the videos with John and Martha King. The .wx and .flt files contains the flight and weather data of stored (exercise) flights.

It is possible to use FS9 and Media player Classic simultaneously, but both should be windowed of course.

Cheers,
    Huub

Good grief, Gentlemen!! Of course you can watch *.wmv video with VLC player. Or Windows Media Player. Or Media Player Classic. What you CAN'T do is watch the FS9 'Lessons' (or, 'Saved Flights') because they consist of *.flt and *.wx files which those players can NOT handle. They are only viewable thru/by FS9 itself.

And the question or problem is that the OP can't understand why he can't watch the Lessons 'video' whereas before he could. He suspects that the cause is his going from XP to Win 7. So now we have to find out what he did. Did he install FS9 into Windows 7? Or did he just copy his FS9 installed files over from XP? We need to hear from his as to what he did so we can help him solve this 'problem'. I don't think it's a Win 7 security update, either. I am just trying to help.
    Chuck B
    Napamule

Good grief, Gentlemen!!
    Good grief this is getting confusing! lol
    I'll have to go and re-read this thread but the OP just wanted to play the King videos from what I recall. They are playable with VLC. Should be the end of the discussion under normal circumstances at this point. haha

Edit: I've just clicked through FS and can't find any videos that can't be played by VLC externally. If a file is in those other formats, it isn't capable of holding a video inside FS or outside FS. It's not a video format. Still not sure where you are suggesting these videos with these formats are in FS? It's all .wmv from a quick look.

As time passes, Edit 2: Ok, got it! I assume you are looking at the Lessons folder and the .wx and .flt files in there. They are NOT videos. Not in FS or out. You can't play them on Win XP, Win 7, VLC or anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by arrowmaker View Post
    This is exactly the issue. I'm not trying to record flights. I only wish to view the videos (by John and Martha King) while FS9 is running.

This would appear to only be possible under Windows XP. I've seen this issue raised a few times over the years but have never come across a solution.
    Euhhhh???? Gentlemen ,

And I thought that it was just this.............

Cheers,
    Huub

Ok. Now I get it. I was confusing the Machado intructional 'videos' with the King videos. Sorry. He can resize his FS9 screen (Alt+Enter) then drag the side to fill half the screen. Then minimize FS9 and fire up program to play the King videos (which would be a DVD in the Optical Drive). Left mouse click on FS9 'window' to bring FS9 to front so he can pause, etc. Left click on King Video and he can work menu, etc. He would then be able to watch both FS9 and King video on one screen at the same time. Maybe? Not sure as I have never have tried this. WMV is 'light' and small size where it may be possible to do without bottleneck with the resulting low frame rates. Maybe. I am just trying to help. Sorry if I upset anyone. I love to make videos with FSRecorder and Fraps but would never BUY videos (King or other). And I certainly would not want to watch them while I am also flying FS9. I think it's best if he got a DVD player and installed it on back of front seat (not sure if it's 'legal' to put on panel - haha).
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    Edit: Oh, go 'Options/Settings/General' and un-check 'Pause On Task Switch' so FS9 doesn't stop when you click on your video window.
    Last edited by napamule; January 23rd, 2019 at 17:57.

Members who have read this thread: 1