FSX native AVRO Tutor - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: FSX native AVRO Tutor

Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    Yup - I'll second that!
    SO GLAD I can give something back to the Team that brought us this WONDER! Thanks for the kind words.

C

Now HERE'S A CLASSIC FSX PICCY- With all the discussions going on about developers moving to 64bit support, I wanted to share the old and the new. This is Nigel's incredible Tutor over Orbx Lopez Island, just South of Friday Harbor- the DEFAULT FSX airport. All of us are familiar with this bit of the world, so it made sense to choose it as a reference. Instead of FSX- this is PREPAR3D v4.4. The other FANTASTIC new bit of kit is EZDOCK v3. I upgraded from v2 and I must say the differences are more than worth while. I'm not a fan of overdone effects, but in this case, just a tiny bit makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE in the world. I had BEAUTIFULLY tailored EZCA files for v1 and with v2, I was never able to duplicate the small movements of the aircraft, whilst leaving the other larger effects out. WITH v3 EZCA has made ENORMOUS IMPROVEMENTS in customizability- and once again, my world is in constant motion- FANTASTIC!

Anyhooooo- enough blabbering- back to Nigel's beauty-

Now, WHO amongst us, doesn't recognize this bit of the world....?

Now, if this ever made it to PBR the cowl would be even more spectacular... any of our in-house talent considering breaking out their Intuos?

Best- C

One of my very favorite places in the Orbx World- Orca's Island... wonder how they got THAT name?

Can you say, "Glorious"? The clouds are grey lenticulars spilling off the hills. The weather is typical PNW, and yet, a hole in the cloud deck allowed for gold to spill on silk and dope and set it afire. For the kid in the weeds, staring with longing at this incredible flying machine, can you imagine the excitement when it stopped in front, and a very British voice called out, "Want to go up for a few circuits and bumps lad?" It must have made his day- much like this aeroplane makes mine...

It's my lucky day, the Trolly Dolly is shopping and I've got the house all to myself. The speakers are turned up, that incredibly Lynx is rattling the good china, and this old girl wants some of my attention...

I used to eat my lunch in a dusty hangar, housing a still dustier Stearman, holding on to the baseball bat and yelling, "Clear Prop!" when I was mostly sure there was no one in earshot. This combination takes me back. Most know I am a HUGE ORBX fan, but this little jewel is special, just like Innsbruck and the Tutor- breathtaking!

Best- C

The sun came out a bit, just more moments later- what a difference!

TTFN- C

was there a paintkit for this lovely model?
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cavaricooper View Post
    One of my very favorite places in the Orbx World- Orca's Island... wonder how they got THAT name?

Can you say, "Glorious"? The clouds are grey lenticulars spilling off the hills. The weather is typical PNW, and yet, a hole in the cloud deck allowed for gold to spill on silk and dope and set it afire. For the kid in the weeds, staring with longing at this incredible flying machine, can you imagine the excitement when it stopped in front, and a very British voice called out, "Want to go up for a few circuits and bumps lad?" It must have made his day- much like this aeroplane makes mine...

It's my lucky day, the Trolly Dolly is shopping and I've got the house all to myself. The speakers are turned up, that incredibly Lynx is rattling the good china, and this old girl wants some of my attention...

I used to eat my lunch in a dusty hangar, housing a still dustier Stearman, holding on to the baseball bat and yelling, "Clear Prop!" when I was mostly sure there was no one in earshot. This combination takes me back. Most know I am a HUGE ORBX fan, but this little jewel is special, just like Innsbruck and the Tutor- breathtaking!

Best- C
    AMAZING screenshots, Carl
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    was there a paintkit for this lovely model?
    jankees: A fully layered paintkit will be available once we have released all of the AVRO fleet.
    Most main textures were created/mapped so as to be interchangeable between variants, with a few extra files for specific items such as cowls, fins, wheels treated individually.
    Last edited by nigel richards; February 24th, 2019 at 10:13.

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

AMAZING screenshots, Carl
    SO PLEASED you are enjoying them, thanks for the kind words. With the day shaping up quite nicely, and She Who Must Be Obeyed's Honey Dew List complete, I thought I'd take the Naval variant out for a spin 'round Brighton.

C

Pulling 1 1/2Gs out of Shoreham... looks like a nice day to visit Brighton Beach...

Have I mentioned I love the Orbx World...?

...and the Tutor...?

Here's the Marina Village and the Pier at Brighton Beach...

C

Blog Entries
    Pulling 1 1/2Gs out of Shoreham... looks like a nice day to visit Brighton Beach...

Have I mentioned I love the Orbx World...?

...and the Tutor...?

Here's the Marina Village and the Pier at Brighton Beach...

C
    Yeah!!!

Pick up some rock, then do a 180 and head up to Hastings or Rye for fish 'n chips!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

From just above the shore, looking at Shoreham splayed below... lovely.

RW Bipe Drivers will attest to the fact that there are moments in a Biplane, where mesmerizing just doesn't begin to explain what one feels. There's something stolid about being held aloft on a perfect day, with a radial rumbling ahead, wires whistling beside, and the world rolling beneath, framed by fabric wings. It is a place where one can loose an hour or two. Where at 1000', one can leave the Salt Mines behind, and bask in self actualization.

Combine the Tutor with a comprehensive Orbx World and discover this feeling, whilst fully earthbound!

Best- C

Yeah!!! Pick up some rock, then do a 180 and head up to Hastings or Rye for fish 'n chips!
    Actually, we're headed to Southampton for a bit of Petrol and then over to Goodwood for some leather sniffing

C

Blog Entries
    Actually, we're headed to Southampton for a bit of Petrol and then over to Goodwood for some leather sniffing

C
    Go West, young man!
    After Goodward and with that livery, petrol's on the house at HMS Daedelus.

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Wilco, right o'er the top. The chap in the tower was so taken aback, he had a FlyBE Q400 and an EZ Scarebus hold, whilst I puttered around and slipped on to Rwy 02. Actually, the Fish & Chips, with a Nutty Brown sounds great!

We must have made an impression... the lads in the Land Rover climbing into the G-IV walked over for a look-see...

C

She's bloody FANTASTIC! The modeling is unsurpassed, the FDE simply grand- there's absolutely NOTHING about this aeroplane I dislike. At $50 she'd be a bargain... as it happens to be FREEWARE (above the standards of MANY a current Payware release), we ought to be thinking of ways to mail a little something to Greece!

C

Ok, after a cuppa, we departed Southampton, through the cut, past the Fawley Refinery... the light was getting softer, mist was rolling in and the sea was even more present than it usually is in this part of SE England...

Passing over Portsmouth, with a nod to HMS Victory, I resolved I must hoist a ration of Pussers once we were tied down. This is the PERFECT livery for this particular flypast!

It took a little poking around to find Goodwood in the dusk, what with no race tonight and all. Still, we made it down and taxyied to a bit of concrete for the night.

With the shadows lengthening, it was time to tie down, have a drink and visit the folks across the road. An appointment with a Bespoke Concierge awaits!

C

I'm back in the Tutor and back at St. Bart's. In the evening, it is the perfect combination to wash away the day's cares and loose myself in the "footless halls of air". There are so many things that are right about this combination. Fly Tampa's St. Maarten trio, with the Tutor is the bees knees!

This may well be my ethereal (electronic) happy place. It's officially on the Bucket List!

If there is any interest, I am thinking about organizing a fly-in at Maho. I don't know squat about local servers, but I am fairly adept at Vatsim. Perhaps a meet up of Bipes to do the three airports in rotation? Anyone else as wacky and wanna fly along? If so, we can set up a time to meet up at Julianna....

Best- C

...and yet a few more of this lovely...

C

Just one of the things that has SO impressed me is the ground handling. Apply 2000RPM (keeping in mind that you try for about 1850 and as the IAS builds, and the prop unloads, you get 2000) and as the tail plane becomes effective, the tail lifts. The amount of rudder needed to hold center increases proportionally as the tail wheel loses contact with the asphalt. The unstick is surprising, just as the real deal. Sure, I know what the numbers are, but I am still pleasantly surprised when I realize that the mains just lost traction and my horizontal vector just changed and I realize I AM FLYING!

If you want to FEEL what it is to taxi one of these old girls- run the Tutor around a bit. Watch first from SPOT and then the VC and you will just marvel at the way the tail moves with rudder application stretching springs, and then all of a sudden as the springs stretch, the sideways moment increases. It's absolutely fantastic, but with judicious applications of differential brake you will be able to aim for a corner, and then with a burst of throttle and a jab of brake, swing the tail around and dismount whilst adjusting your silk scarf.

Set up a couple of views poking your head out of each side, and on final peer around both sides of that beautifully polished cowl.

Then when you run out of angle, kick in a little rudder and opposite aileron and grab a peek at the runway, then straighten out and hold her off, just off, so that when she settles it's with a little chirp, and then spend a bit of time poking rudder to keep the triangles of asphalt equal. Keep the stick full back as you let her roll with just a modicum of brake. Then it's S-turns and head pokes all the way to the ramp.

BTW Nigel, I was able to pop in that compass fix- many thanks- for so many wonderful things. This old lady tugs at my heart strings in a visceral fashion. If anyone has a link to an actual Operations Manual for the Tutor, I'd be much obliged....

...just can't get enough of this old girl... she's grand in EVERY way!

C

Hi cavaricooper
    Have a look here:
    http://www.avialogs.com/index.php/aircraft/uk/avro/avro-621-tutor/avro-tutor.html
    Michel

Thanks Michel- a very nice read about the different variants. Hopefully there’s a copy of the Flight Manual floating around somewhere...

Best- C

Here there is AVRO 621 Tutor & 626 Instruction Manual, but not free :
    http://www.flight-manuals.com/621tutor.html
    Michel

Thanks Michel-

Here's a shot WITHOUT shaders (I normally use PTA for all my screenies). Not terrible...?

C

Just curious (re both the port-overs and FSX native models) and to add more realism in screenshots etc. .. is there a way of removing the pilot from the exterior view when aircraft is parked and engine/instruments are turned 'off' ?

I came across some aircraft before where pilots disappeared when certain conditions were met (parking brake set, battery off, etc. based on type of aircraft).
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

Quote Originally Posted by Postbaer61 View Post
    I want to let you know, that i have converted Nigel's great AVRO 621 Tutor models to FSX native format,
    which means, that it will work also in P3Dv4+

Nigel gave again his kind permission, to publish my conversions,
    until he had done his own FSX Native version.

So here we go again

The conversions

https://www.mediafire.com/file/lu4m8...Part1.zip/file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/cf7yf...Part2.zip/file

I have also updated the FSX native 621 and Trainer models
    with a new smaller navlight effect, the new models have to
    redownloaded .

https://www.mediafire.com/file/89wao..._over.zip/file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/prhth..._over.zip/file

Cheers
    Ulrich
    Found the update for P3dv4.