FSX Native Howard 500 from Milton - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: FSX Native Howard 500 from Milton

Quote Originally Posted by johndetrick View Post
    So where is that paint kit?
    John, long time, no see. :-)

Will upload the original shortly. Willy or Wellis may share their enhanced kits when they are ready.

Be aware that there were some changes over the years to the tails mapping.

The new FSX models will have both the original and revised mapping models available.

The paint kit has both with the new tails mapping just a template.

EDIT: Paint Kit now posted - http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...8&linkid=25131
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; January 26th, 2019 at 10:03.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Been lurking here. A career change at 59 has kept me busy. Thanks
    FAA A&P, FE (TURBOJET),AMEL COMM INST DC-8 & B767/757 TYPE RATEINGS
    FCC GROL

For the Howard 350, set the AP, kick back, enjoy the scenery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2019-jan-26-009.jpg   ms-2019-jan-26-006.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Awesome! Way to go Milton! The 350 just looks great!
    Both the Howard 500 and 350 were PV-1 based, the 250 is based on the L18 Lodestar. I think the Howard 500 was an almost entirely new airframe with PV-1 parts.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    The Howard 500 was PV-1 based whereas the Howard 250-350 were Lodestar L-18 based.

The 350 I'm playing with now is from a concept drawing done for a customer that became the Howard 350. I intend to keep this one purely conceptual in design with some design changes to accommodate ease of construction.

I have used the Howard 500 as the basis for the fuselage, reshaped and rebuilt it.

Haven't decided what to do with the engines yet, round or turbine.

But, this is where I am now with the 350, a tail dragger.
    Oh my word absolutely brilliant!! Sorry traveling so just catching up. Love the panoramic window views!

Got to be radials definitely.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

The Howard 500 was PV-1 based whereas the Howard 250-350 were Lodestar L-18 based.

The 350 I'm playing with now is from a concept drawing done for a customer that became the Howard 350. I intend to keep this one purely conceptual in design with some design changes to accommodate ease of construction.

I have used the Howard 500 as the basis for the fuselage, reshaped and rebuilt it.

Haven't decided what to do with the engines yet, round or turbine.

But, this is where I am now with the 350, a tail dragger.
    Hmm, something about that last screenshot has me anticipating!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by mrogers View Post
    Awesome! Way to go Milton! The 350 just looks great!
    Both the Howard 500 and 350 were PV-1 based, the 250 is based on the L18 Lodestar. I think the Howard 500 was an almost entirely new airframe with PV-1 parts.
    That's true Mark according to my original project docs from the "rebuilder".

The brakes were from the PV-2 though.

Here is some history from Dee Howard himself. (This document was sent to me by Dave Cummings, the pilot and maintainer of the Howard 500 at the time of the original project.)

The following info came to me directly from Dee Howard himself.

The Howard 500 was a hand built airplane designed by Dee Unger Howard. In 1949 Dee left Slick Aviation and chased after a dream to convert surplus military aircraft to corporate use and he began Howard Aero. His lead mechanic was Bulmaro Alarcon, his brother-in-law, was an aid to the president of Mexico. Bulmaro went to work for Dee in '55 a field rep and shop manager he worked for Dee for almost 40 yrs as he went on to work for the Dee Howard Corp. later. commissioned to find a plane to fly a wealthy business man from Mexico to NYC with non-stop. (From Mexico City). He used the inexpensive PV-1 as his first platform and found it had potential, but too limited in speed and high altitude flight. He went one step further and bought up a mess of ex air force B-34 Ventura's mainly from the S. African Air force. These became the Howard 350 though many parts trickled down to the 500 the wings and fuselages of the 500 were new. He got all he could from the 350 but again it lacked the pressurization, quiet comfort, and range he needed. So, he purchased the jigs from Lockheed of Burbank, to build the fuselages himself. Problem was, he found out he was not going to get the speed without the newer DC-6 engine and a new wing so he had to make his own wing jigs and decided on a wet wing to optimize wt. and capacity emulating the connies, dc4, and dc-6's. Back to the fuselage matter, with the requirement for press. He was forced to build the fuselages up from scratch due to the new transport category (car-4b) certification process he was seeking. He wanted his customers to know that his plane meets the new (121) standards of the day. (And they have had a tremendous safety record. not one plane was ever lost due to a mechanical failure!! still to this day). The confusion about its’ lineage comes in from guys tracing serial nos. of the B-34 to the Howard aero doorstep, only to appear out the other end as a 500. or so they thought. What actually happened was that Dee disassembled them and took as much as he could off each to support the 500. There are many original small parts but every major part from the Ventura has been altered in some form or fashion. I have also found that no two Howard 500's are the same. There are subtle differences on ea ship. The Howard 500 weighs almost 15,000 lbs more than the L-18. It has a tremendous horsepower advantage and more gadgets than Carter has pills. After some 46-47 L-18 and B-34 conversions which became Howard 250's and 350's he started on the 500 around 1957 and got the first ones out in 59-60. They only built 16 of them. and most were recalled to meet the car4b standards they went back out the door in 1963 and to the customers. All custom built interiors and accouterments, again, no two were the same. Just like a BBJ today walk in the door no two are the same. There are only 6 left today we have 2 of them. One is flying this is it!!! A logging co in Portland Oregon had it last and I did the restore for him. He owned a DC-3, beech 18, staggerwing g-17, stearman, amphib beaver and so on......

Specs:

N500hp.........yr 1960-63 Max speed.....ind. 306k
    Standard airworthiness cert. Cruise.........50% pwr 270 kts/true
    Mgw.......34,565lbs Vmc...........95kts
    Empty......24000lbs Vso............80kts
    Engines....P&W R2800 CB-16/17 2500hp. ea. Vlo............191kts
    Props......Hamilton Standard 24E60 Vfe……….202 kts
    Fuel cap. ......1546 gals = 9276lbs. About 4000 ft. for most ops.
    Oil cap.........75 gal but 5500 ft + is best for field lengths
    Grade.........100ll/115-145 Pressurization 6.75 to 1
    Fuel flow.......200 gal/hr for flight planning (holds 2000 cabin @ 21000 ft)
    Cruise..........184gal/hr wing span 71 ft..
    Endurance ...... 8 hrs 10 min. length 57ft
    Max range.......2200 nm. (2568 statute) height.....14 ft.
    wheel tread........22ft.

Attributes/options/highlights

Darton preoiler system $10k
    Darton oil evacuation system (clean kits) $40K
    Oil and engine oil pumps preheaters built in.
    115vAC 2250 KVA solid-state static inverters
    New 100 KVA solid-state static instrument inverters
    Heated wind screens (105 deg.)
    Boosted flight controls (dual hydr. systems)
    Goodyear Antiskid
    Auto Feather
    Auto Compressor diconnect
    Deluxe Custom Restroom with modern outside filler port and service.
    Total engine instrument redundancy (with LCD color graphics display)
    Huge galley and built in CD, VCR, and 13" color TV.
    Lots of hardwood (Birdseye maple MRI for voids)
    Custom cockpit cabinetry (jepp chart case)
    Large windows, huge external baggage!!
    Fold out tables, fully reclining leather seats
    7 foot couch.
    Entertainment and oxygen at ea. Seat.
    New halon fire extinguishers
    Jump seat
    Senheiser noise canceling headsets for the cockpit w/atc-music mode.

Times

5060 ttac
    800 smoh
    on precision airmotive engines
    367 hrs smoh on props
    Pitot static, transponder 2yr, altimeter, just done april 2002

Avionics

Dual king HSI (kcs 55’s)
    Collins DME
    dual KX 165 Nav coms
    Dual king transponders
    Dual king kma 24a audio panels w/mkr beacons
    Dual ILS
    Dual GPS Capability
    UPS/APOLLO GX50 GPS
    Couples to the no # 1 hsi and MFD
    8” UPS MFD GX20 that displays every instrument approach in the USA
    Full pilots and copilots flight instruments.
    Third attitude indicator
    King radar altimeter
    BFG Wx500 stormscope
    David Clark intercom
    Gps to LOC/Nav auto switching when loc/gs freq selected

Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Oh my word absolutely brilliant!! Sorry traveling so just catching up. Love the panoramic window views!

Got to be radials definitely.
    Thanks Expat; she left for the Wellis Paint Shop yesterday.

And a large version of that screen shot is my Desktop background for inspiration.

EDIT: Also experimenting with a more streamlined engine exhaust shield for a sleek, "hot" look. LOL

Also have a PT-6 version I am testing just for kicks. I know, "blasphemy"! LOL But she kicks butt as well, just buzzy-noisey.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails smooth.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Nice! We're getting an air yacht, and I mean that in a good way. It was already great and now it's just getting better. Thanks Milton and team.

Nose Gear Brakes

Well, this is news to me. I see the Howard 250 Tri-Gear has nose wheel brakes. I have never seen nose wheel brakes on an aircraft.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2019-jan-29-003.jpg   ms-2019-jan-29-004.jpg   ms-2019-jan-29-006.jpg   ms-2019-jan-29-005.jpg   ms-2019-jan-29-002.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Curious about these on the wings... on the model its angles a bit and on the real aircraft they are straight.

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    Curious about these on the wings... on the model its angles a bit and on the real aircraft they are straight.
    Yes, I see that. Cannot change now lest all the paints will not match up.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Well, this is news to me. I see the Howard 250 Tri-Gear has nose wheel brakes. I have never seen nose wheel brakes on an aircraft.
    Hi Milton,

Not unheard of, other types which at one time or other had braked nosewheel include Me262, Boeing 727, and Saab Gripen.

Ttfn

Pete

Yes, I see that. Cannot change now lest all the paints will not match up.
    Understand, not considering the original version in my mind. Pretty much had the same problem with the C-47, limited to what I was doing so canned.

This is a very cool airplane, and a beautiful model!
    Looking forward to try it out.

Rotorhub

Turboprop model sounds intriguing.
    FAA A&P, FE (TURBOJET),AMEL COMM INST DC-8 & B767/757 TYPE RATEINGS
    FCC GROL

Understand, not considering the original version in my mind. Pretty much had the same problem with the C-47, limited to what I was doing so canned.
    Traveling today but will do some testing this evening to try a change.

The issue is by making them straight back, the shape has to change from rectangular to parallelogram so the leading edge aligns with the tapered wing edge. In so doing, we may not have paint coverage, or the paint gets twisted. May not be an issue for generic paint in those locations.

But, if little things like this really frustrate you, you should probably quit any attempt to repaint it.

The models are simply likenesses; you know that by now. They are not exact in any way, shape, or form.
    This particular model was done 15 years ago without 3-views, only a generically painted profile and reference pictures.
    Yes, I have that same reference picture; just did not catch the angle thing back then, nor did a host of team testers, nor the real world pilot of the aircraft.

Move on Tufun to enjoy some other aircraft that is perfect and stop frustrating my years of imperfect freeware efforts.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    Hi Milton,

Not unheard of, other types which at one time or other had braked nosewheel include Me262, Boeing 727, and Saab Gripen.

Ttfn

Pete
    Hi Pete, thanks for that explanation; never heard of it being used, but now I know. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Cruise.........50% pwr 270 kts/true
    Fuel flow.......200 gal/hr for flight planning
    Jeeeeeezzzzzzz.....!!

Interesting how many things in the world that can evoke "jaw-drop", and for so many different reasons. Here's an example of two of them.....relatively speaking.

Easy to understand how the Howard 500 pilot could interpret a modern business jet as an "obstacle" while descending into pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by magoo View Post
    Jeeeeeezzzzzzz.....!!

Interesting how many things in the world that can evoke "jaw-drop", and for so many different reasons. Here's an example of two of them.....relatively speaking.

Easy to understand how the Howard 500 pilot could interpret a modern business jet as an "obstacle" while descending into pattern.
    LOL Yes, and @ $1000 per hour for AVgas, one cannot wait to get landed and shut'er down. LOL
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

But, if little things like this really frustrate you, you should probably quit any attempt to repaint it.

The models are simply likenesses; you know that by now. They are not exact in any way, shape, or form.
    This particular model was done 15 years ago without 3-views, only a generically painted profile and reference pictures.
    Yes, I have that same reference picture; just did not catch the angle thing back then, nor did a host of team testers, nor the real world pilot of the aircraft.

Move on Tufun to enjoy some other aircraft that is perfect and stop frustrating my years of imperfect freeware efforts.
    That's cool, wasn't looking at that way. I had fun painting them! Didn't want to start a controversy so I'll take your advice.

That's cool, wasn't looking at that way. I had fun painting them! Didn't want to start a controversy so I'll take your advice.

That's what it's all about; having fun as your handle suggests. Same with me. When I do these native conversions, I am not rebuilding the project, just making it compatible. So, modeling and mapping changes are rarely done mainly because it usually invalidates paint original works by others.

So, if what the original was like bothers you, the new one will likely still bother you. :-)

I have converted the passenger and cargo models of the original models, and the two remapped tail models. Also created a more casual set of pilots models, and the Howard 350. That will be the extent of the conversions and adjustments. All seven models use original panels and textures for compatibility. Sounds are by Nigel.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

No not bothering me just some suggestions if you were to update the model. Glad you explained the process and fine with that. As it is, it's good enough.

I might add that it's a classic and should be left as is that I understand. It has history.

No not bothering me just some suggestions if you were to update the model. Glad you explained the process and fine with that. As it is, it's good enough.

I might add that it's a classic and should be left as is that I understand. It has history.
    Thanks for understanding. As much as we would like to improve on some things, it is usually impractical to do it while trying to preserve the invested hours of so many people.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Endless enjoyment . .

Members who have read this thread: 1